Quantcast

Going Skiing

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I'm off for the first time to go skiing this season. Just tuned up my 1080's. This is the first real activity since my concussion, and that was November 3rd. I'm Pumped! Pics later maybe.:love:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I'm jealous, sitting here at work reading this and it is snowing pretty good here...1080's are a dope ski. I wanted a pair forever, then i got the super bro hookup on a pair of pocket rockets this season :drool:...ugh can i come with you?

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I was dying to go the day after the huge storm we had here (saturday maybe?) but all my friends wimped out. Bastards!

Have fun!!

-Adam

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I Are Baboon said:
where ya going?
Ski Sundown. My first time there and they had a few good things going for their park. A nice 20 foot down-flat-down, which was very smooth. There was also a small box which I 360'ed on to, 180 rotation on it, then 180 off. It got pretty hot with my jacket on and the weather and snow were both good.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ThePriceSeliger said:
Ski Sundown.
Woah, I used to ski there when I was.. oh, about 9 years old. Always loved to go night skiing there, too - night skiing kicks ass.

Glad to hear they're still open. They must have done some expansion since I was last there!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
kidwoo said:
You use those for water skis or do you travel west a lot?:p
that made me laugh, about half of my time is out west ( i only get about 25 days in a year)...I only go when the snow is real good out here in the east, and i wanted skis that would perform out west...and i got a smoking deal on them :evil:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
dfinn said:
did a friend in VT send you that picture? i'm starting to get jealous, we need some of that action out here.
Yeah right. Vermont's dumps are still our light storms.

That's your neighborhood when I lived in it last year.

You were out of town for that one if I remember correctly. I think you even put up a post about how little snow it seemed like after you got back in town and everyone was talking about the storm.

Don't believe that crap about incline being the bannana belt. It's still tahoe.

Same storm below. The front windows of our house looked like the rear before I cleared it.

Before

After

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Do you guys out west really think that the pocket rockets will be terrible in the east?
Well the thing those skis have going for them is they're really soft. I've got a pair of volkls that are bigger than the pocket rockets but they're stiffer.........I think they suck on anything packed. I personally think pocket rockets are a little less sketchy on harpack but still just don't turn as well as something narrower. Having something big underfoot is good when you're riding switch though.

I've actually had some day's at Jay peak when I lived back east that would have easily justified them. Plus it's good to have the right toys if you do catch it good on one of your trips. I was just heckling you.:)

Hey SS: 95 at the SHOVEL?? Mine are 105 at the waist.:p

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
kidwoo said:
Well the thing those skis have going for them is they're really soft. I've got a pair of volkls that are bigger than the pocket rockets but they're stiffer.........I think they suck on anything packed. I personally think pocket rockets are a little less sketchy on harpack but still just don't turn as well as something narrower. Having something big underfoot is good when you're riding switch though.

I've actually had some day's at Jay peak when I lived back east that would have easily justified them. Plus it's good to have the right toys if you do catch it good on one of your trips. I was just heckling you.:)

Hey SS: 95 at the SHOVEL?? Mine are 105 at the waist.:p

I am by no means an expert on skis or skiier in general, it gets me through the winter when i cant ride my bike...I just figured that i would grab the wider boards, and hope i dont get too f'ed when the conditions are crap. That way when they are good, they are reaaaaaaaaaal good.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I have a pair of pocket rockets and they rule. I have been spending alot of time on my many pairs of 1080's and Line 1260 and Liberty Choppers. (I'm a ski gear whore) I love them all except the 1260's arn't a good all around ski, they need to stay in the park with the Choppers. East skiing is ICY! I learned that a few years ago when I didn't know how to ski ice.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Cool stuff I run atomic tweaks on the east when I'm not hitting powder on my never summer board.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
sadly they haven't. but it'll be a fun time even if the snow's not all that.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Tanscend, I really enjoyed Stowe last year and though the park was great, to bad it was raining hard-core the whole time. I'm going to Whistler over spring break to get some training in, and back to Whistler sometime in July for some h-core biking. I am going to be skiing at Sundown for pretty much the rest of the year though. My season pass looks like I'm a freaking bird. The picture is so bad!

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Just went out for the first ride last evening! Was snowing all night + packed powder conditions. Just enough to link up the first few turns of the season and have a good time. Hopefully season kicks off for good during the Holiday break

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
kidwoo said:
Which brings me to this..........can someone please explain to me what "packed" and "powder" have to do with each other...
We get packed powder out here alot. It's kind of like soft styrofoam. Next to powder, chowder, crud, mank, and corn it's the best kind of snow. :D

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Pussies...

My last pair of skis were 200cm GS race skis. (Actually, mabye 203s. I don't think 7xk's came in 200s) Skinner than Kate Moss, they didn't even think about turning until you hit about 40mph. God forbid you hit a bump with them...

Next season maybe. What's a good big mountain ski to look at next spring when the sales start? I like going really fast. Avoid bumps like the plague. 5'11, 150lbs.

Any suggestions?