Quantcast

Going SS

TACOXR

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
Can someone give the run-down on everything you could possibly need to convert to single speed? I wanna start this project soon, but I am having trouble finding more information on it. :biggrin:

2005 specialized P2

TACOXR

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
I guess I just don't know if I can use my current crank setup with just a different chainwheel. Thats the main issue I have

currently I ordered the Nashbar hub and i'm going to lace a new wheel up. what kind of chainwheel should I go with? Also chain?

I'm new to this single speed stuff so bare with me, just lookin for some help!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If you are buying a new chainring, get a non-ramped one. It will probably be an 8sp so get an 8sp chain.

Typical starting ratio is 2:1 -- 32x16, 34x17 etc

Sheldon Brown thinks an even number of teeth on both will give you the longest chain life.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
If you're just starting out and looking to convert, run what you have. Ramped chainrings work fine, you just have to pay more attention to dialing in your chainline. There's still room for error, just not as much room as an unramped ring will give you. Salsa has nice unramped rings.

If you're going to use your current crankarms, you'll most likely need to get shorter chainring bolts, a bashguard, or some washers to use as spacers.

The Nashbar hub is decent, I run one on my 29er. It's a bit heavy, but I bet it's no heavier than a hub with a cassette on it. :) I'd recommend getting a wider cog for the hub, something like the Surly, Endless, or King cogs. The cog that comes with the hub is basically a cassette ring and will chew your hub up after a while. The wider cogs spread the force out a bit and save wear on the hub body.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I agree on the wider cog suggestion. I just got a 20T Surly Cog for $20.00 - the cog is wide and beefy! Very nice.

I'm currently running a ramped Salsa 34T chainring with a bashguard, but contemplating moving the 34T all the way out by getting some different chainring bolts in order to achieve a better chainline. We'll see.

TACOXR

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
Thanks guys, this is all very helpfull

What If i want to run a 1/8'' chain? what are my options for chainrings