Quantcast

Going to a Spring Classic?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A friend is moving to Rotterdam and he invited me to visit. I was thinking about attend a Spring Classic, specifically the Amstel Gold Race. But is this going to be standing in the rain, drinking warm beer and eating pomme frittes with the equivalent of Euro Nascar fans?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
sanjuro said:
But is this going to be standing in the rain, drinking warm beer and eating pomme frittes with the equivalent of Euro Nascar fans?
From what I've read - Yes.

Basically a day-long party interrupted when a bunch of cyclists ride by and everyone screams at them. :D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I forgot about one thing to do: Paris Roubaix Randoneer. You get to ride the same course, but it is held every other year. Maybe I will wait until 2008 to visit...

edit: after a little research, there are "cyclo's" for all the major classics. There was even one for the Amstel Gold Race, and a mtn bike version (75km) for the Tour of Flanders. This is what I am coming out for...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Classics are fun and the weather can be 'nice' in a crappy N EU kind of way. The Amstel course went right by my front door each year so we always threw a BBQ. Maastricht is pretty cool and the locals are total drunkards so it's a good party. The local road riding is fantastic too, it's what I miss most of living in europe.

Most of the classics involve lots of Dukes of Hazzard back road driving to see more than 30 seconds of riding, which is fun but far from relaxing. We saw several Tour stages over the years too but all in all, it takes a lot of effort for not much spectating. The Amstel is usually compact enough that you can ride short distances to see the race.

What we eventually settled into when travelling to races was watching the race pass early in the day, riding around for a bit, then settling down near the finish to tank beers and watch the race on eurosport.