Quantcast

Going to be an interesting ride tommorow...

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I couldn't wait untill this weekend to try and scroung the new chainring, spacers, tensioner etc to change my commuter into an ss so I did what any biker would do...I winged it. I busted open the cassette and moved all of the larger cogs next to the wheel, then the spacers then the cog I wanted to run so it would be in line with the chainring. I had to throw on my old derailleur to add some chain tension. Throw in the fact my front brake is broken and I am limited to only rear brake stopping power I have a feeling it is going to be an interesting ride, not to mention my first ss experience. And to think I couldn't wait another day or two so I decided to do all of this for one day lol, it must be a dose of spring fever (well not quite its around 27 deg here).

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Well I wasn't dissapointed, only having the rear brake plus the snow made it pretty hard to stop even on a commute. But the real highlight was my chain breaking in the middle of an intersection with a tractor trailor heading towards me. Perhaps in hindsight I should have waited another day to get the parts i needed, especially when it came down to using about a 6 year old chain because that was the only extra one I had lying around lol. O well, tommorow the lbs and then time for some non ghetto rigged ss action. At least I made it most of the way home :p

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Here's a tip new SSers don't usually know: carry some extra links. No need on a derailuer bike, but on an SS you are SOL if you break a chain. And of course, carry a chain tool