Quantcast

going to CU

RyanL

Chimp
Apr 14, 2005
Storrs Connecticut
im from connecticut and im going to CU next year. i flew out there in march talked to people at university cycles and the fix. i was just wondering if you could tell me more about the downhill scene in boulder.

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
It's rough at the moment until the ski resorts open for the summer. However, if you look around at some of the other threads, there is a possibility of getting some land to build on sometime in the future but we'll se what happens. Right now, the dirtjumps and bmx tracks are where it's at.

cfk

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
Boulder, CO
My son and I are moving to Boulder in the Summer and he will be going to New Vista High School, we were there last week-end just in time to catch the Blizzard. He's an avid downhiller, you will find him in the So.Cal Forum as downhill24/7, I know us cali's are not very popular in Colorado but hey everybody and there mother has moved into cali from all over the country and they built houses on every damn open piece of land possible. We have lost 3 local spots in San Diego recently. Anyway we are looking forward to doing some riding with you guys. My son has built tons of jumps here and I'm sure he'll be doing the same there too. I saw the y-thread and the gunbarrel jumps as well and that's his style. He broke both wrist a couple years ago and some jumps alot like what I saw on the gunbarrel thread.

downhill24/7

Chimp
Jan 31, 2005
Boulder
ya that avid new vista downhiler is me...we should definatelly ride when i get out there, i dont know when you'll be arriving but hopefully i'll be arriving this august. NUTHINGS FINAL YET(cfk) but i live to ride and ride to live. i also want to find some fun recreational races out there. out here in cali theres the fontana race, my freind(ncrider) did it and did well. i havent yet but i will soon. we have a ton of dh plans for the near future and no time

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
right now the springs is the best place for riding. you have palmer park which you need to pedal around but has some great stuff and then their is Cheyenne mtn which has a pretty sweet dh run down it. Stop over on the mtbr message board we post rides down there all the time. Sunday we are heading to palmer for a day of fun.

Hopefully everything that is in the works go through and we get our own dh runhere

cfk

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
Boulder, CO
snowskilz said:
right now the springs is the best place for riding. you have palmer park which you need to pedal around but has some great stuff and then their is Cheyenne mtn which has a pretty sweet dh run down it. Stop over on the mtbr message board we post rides down there all the time. Sunday we are heading to palmer for a day of fun.

Hopefully everything that is in the works go through and we get our own dh runhere
Thanks for the Tip about the MTBR message board, we will check it out. My fiancee lives in Boulder so we trek out there often (well at least I do) anyway. We've been to Cheyenne as my Nephew graduated from Manitou HS.

I'll keep my eye on the boards and thanks again for the tip. Hope to see you in the future.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Yeah, when you get out here, check out the Y and see about the Y-riders -- we're a pretty cool bunch of people... I think... :think:

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
ya yosei, most of us are cool. then there's me, the fake y rider. i don't know so much about the downhilling scene, but i know that there are some trails up boulder canyon near nederland. i have heard a lot about them getting shut down, but there's white ranch which you can shuttle and some other stuff. well, see you when you get here!

downhill24/7

Chimp
Jan 31, 2005
Boulder
k so once i move out there i want to get a job at a bike shop, where can i work in boulder at a bike shop. in was thinking supergo but to the best of my knoweldge there isnt one in boulder is there?? anyone please proove me wrong, or refer me to a good downhill shop to work at.-shane

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
There's a Performance(owned under same company as supergo) in Boulder but no Supergo. The supergo is about 20 minutes away here in westminster. That's where I work and I know that atleast half of our shop makes the trip from the people's republic everyday.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Hey guys I need a hand. I'm coming out of Steamboat Springs to move to Golden for school this summer. If anyone knows of a shop job hookup, in or around bike commute dist of Golden, I'd appreciate a heads up. It's been a while since I was last in a shop now that I'm geekin' in IT. But I keep a stable of 5 personal bikes, everything from road to trail to xc to dh (trying to get rid of the 5th which is another road). Anyway, PM me, yell at me, throw rocks at me, whatever, if you know of a shop needing a wrench, a pimp, or office help. Thanx.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
RyanL said:
im from connecticut and im going to CU next year. i flew out there in march talked to people at university cycles and the fix. i was just wondering if you could tell me more about the downhill scene in boulder.
Ryan, email me at Philip.Wheeler@colorado.edu for info on the CU cycling team. We currently have no less than 10 downhillers riding for us next year and we would love to have you aboard. All skills levels are welcome and everyone gets to race. It will also be a good way to hook with people for rides and get connected. Hope to see you in the fall.

Phil Wheeler

downhill24/7

Chimp
Jan 31, 2005
Boulder
im definatelly not as experienced, but i work on my bikes all the time and nothings fallen off yet, but definatelly throw me some heads ups to jobs my way too, random thought, how nig are the y jumps and how much $ is riding there?

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
downhill24/7 said:
im definatelly not as experienced, but i work on my bikes all the time and nothings fallen off yet, but definatelly throw me some heads ups to jobs my way too, random thought, how nig are the y jumps and how much $ is riding there?
WTF are the Y jumps? I heard they were building a bmx track over there but I dont know about any jumps.... If you meant the Fix jumps they range from very small to medium/large. Arbor ranges from small to fricking huge.

downhill24/7

Chimp
Jan 31, 2005
Boulder
no accually i dont know what im talking about, ive been to colorado only 3 times for a weekend. im moving out there, which is why im trying to meet people, so that when i get there i can ride with ppl from day one. i did mean the y bmx track. i said jumps cuz there used to be a y track right next to my house in cali and there were huge jumps, way sick. i wish they were still here...

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
The Y BMX track is getting there, but there's still work to be done... It's really pedally... not super good IMO. There are build days, so hopefully we can get it to the point where it's worth riding soon. We built a mini-track/pump track... that's pretty cool, but it needs to be ridden and a few things need some work. The place has the potential to be really cool, but it's going to take some definite work.

kdog-rider

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
Boulder Colorado
The Y BMX track location is completly flat. So on a bmx bike it might not suck as bad as it does on a mt. bike, but i bet it does. The one berm is wayyyyyy to huge. there are much better bmx tracks around here IMO.

downhill24/7

Chimp
Jan 31, 2005
Boulder
oh well, i have like 4 spots in yuppy 100% concrete san diego, u cant tell me the y is the only place to ride, personally i think the y is pretty gay, if theres nowhere else u should definatelly look around

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
downhill24/7 said:
oh well, i have like 4 spots in yuppy 100% concrete san diego, u cant tell me the y is the only place to ride, personally i think the y is pretty gay, if theres nowhere else u should definatelly look around
... What?

No one ever said it was the only place to ride. You asked, so we told you about it. There's the Fix, Arbor, Gunbarrel, lots of stuff. There aren't very many decent trails nearby though.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
:stupid: There are probably more options around here for jumps than just about anywhere else.

Arbor
Gunbarrel
Fix
Sunset
Wilderness
Research park
63rd
The V
The Y
Longmont BMX
Sky High BMX
various people's houses.....

you get the idea

caliCO

Chimp
Apr 26, 2005
Colorado
cool i like jumping, but me and a freind out here found an abondoned dh run from like 10 years ago, the biggest hit was wood and about a foot tall now u c it in orvens underwear gallery, just gotta put in some labor. im a turbo digger, also, wheres push industries, i know they moved to colorado, im looking into getting a vanilla and sending it to them, this is downhill24/7 by the way. some cali yupps dont like me so i changed my name