Quantcast

Going to Downieville...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
To drink beer Saturday. Anyone else?

Also, gimme the low down on the trails there...what are not so super super hairy that an old xc guy can ride without full body armour and helo support? I do have a 5 in travel Rocky Mt to take along, so I have the appropriate firepower. Just dont want to die. Yet.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Big Boulder. is a must do. From packer saddle shuttle drop take the gold lakes trail then go down pauley creek trail over the baby heads.. About 100' after crossing pauley creek a fireroad climbs off to the right ride / push to the top descend big boulder (better have the seat completely dropped) after a few arm pumping miles you intersect with third divide, go right and let it fly back to town ( hang on for some high speed fun single track. Total distance 21miles

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
You dog....... I'm still dealing with all the celebrities at the golf dealie here in Tahoe. Justin Timberlake, yuck!!!!

And to think, this event hinders my Northstar/Leadville qualifier event, or the Nationals in Mammoth. I'm having withdrawals....................... need bearing grease!!!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
All kidding aside, I have always wanted to ride Downieville. For years I have read about the riding there. Looked at maps and pics. Watched the vids. Seems epic.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Alright, not particularly technicals and very dusty most of the time, the major draw is the distance of the "down", which is good. I like other trails in other places better, but downievikle doesn't suck. Some good xc around the place too.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Beer fest was good...ranged from good Nor Cal micro breweries all the way to Sierra Nevada. Spent the day flirting with expensive looking San Fran soccer moms and drinking 4 ounces at a time...had a dip in the river too. Made some connections with local business owners too, will probably be back up there after Classic weekend. Maybe then I can get my RM growler filled...

I am not a DH-er either, will be riding the xc trails (Gold Camp?) next time I think.