Quantcast

Going to RETURN my lg lcd today

End of September we bought a 42" LG, 240hz lcd tv. From day one we noticed there was a lip sync issue - the audio could not keep up with the video when using HDMI cables.

Customer service history:
Contacted LG - they admitted there was a problem and said they'd send me a firmware upgrade via usb key within 10 business days. 15 days go by and I get a phone call from LG telling me they've sent my info to a local repair place.

I contact local repair place and they schedule a 4 hour window to come look at the tv. The repair guy acknowledges the problem and says he has to order a "main board" and it'll take about a week. Almost 2 weeks later they call, part is in and schedule another 4 hour window to come and install.

Same repair guy shows up and does a firmware upgrade with a usb key (DUH). Now, problem is worse.

My friend Jeff (who originally talked us into this tv instead of the Samsung I wanted) now feels incredibly guilty. So LONG story short, he got the store to agree to 1. take the tv back and 2. exchange it for 1 of 2 sets (my choice) which are both $300 MORE than the tv I originally purchased!

So now I have to decide between the Samsung 40" 240hz 7 series LN40B6000 or the Samsung 120hz LED 6 series UN40B6000. I'm leaning towards the LCD.

Comments?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I bought an LG TV because it touted how great it was at upscaling standard definition TV with their XD chipset.

I brought it home and it made every show look like an oversaturated painting. Absolutely unwatchable. I have a Samsung now that I'm very happy with.

Of course, none of that is helpful to you either I just wanted to talk about myself.

I bought an LG TV because it touted how great it was at upscaling standard definition TV with their XD chipset.

I brought it home and it made every show look like an oversaturated painting. Absolutely unwatchable. I have a Samsung now that I'm very happy with.

Of course, none of that is helpful to you either I just wanted to talk about myself.
et tu bv?

et tu?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am very happy with my Panasonic TV. I also got a new fleece jacket the other week. It is very soft and kind of furry. Feels like I am wearing a teddy bear.

All Rather unrelated but no more than anyone else's posts.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
End of September we bought a 42" LG, 240hz lcd tv. From day one we noticed there was a lip sync issue - the audio could not keep up with the video when using HDMI cables.

So now I have to decide between the Samsung 40" 240hz 7 series LN40B6000 or the Samsung 120hz LED 6 series UN40B6000. I'm leaning towards the LCD.

Comments?
what you describe is a typical issue with their sets, particularly with the 240hz Bullsh!t.
in my professional opinion 240hz is a total waste of your money....unless you primarly watch sporting events or auto racing on tv, its stupid, overpriced and looks god awful.
there should be a way to defeat the 240hz option and by doing this, it should your problem.
240hz is another buzz word that consumers are dropping their pants for. it makes movies look absolutely HORRIBLE and it gives it a animated feel.

for your new set, stick with the 6 series LED based LCD from Samsung. youll be blown away by the set.
dont be fooled by Samsung's marketing about their tv's though....its a LCD lit by LED's....its not a true LED tv since these are not to market yet.

if you have any questions, please let me know

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
what you describe is a typical issue with their sets, particularly with the 240hz Bullsh!t.
in my professional opinion 240hz is a total waste of your money....unless you primarly watch sporting events or auto racing on tv, its stupid, overpriced and looks god awful.
there should be a way to defeat the 240hz option and by doing this, it should your problem.
240hz is another buzz word that consumers are dropping their pants for. it makes movies look absolutely HORRIBLE and it gives it a animated feel.

for your new set, stick with the 6 series LED based LCD from Samsung. youll be blown away by the set.
dont be fooled by Samsung's marketing about their tv's though....its a LCD lit by LED's....its not a true LED tv since these are not to market yet.

if you have any questions, please let me know
Do you like bagels?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:drool:
'specially NY bagels
Man, right around the corner we have a family run place called New York Bagel & Deli. It's run by a bunch of Italians from Brooklyn. They all have thick Brooklyn accents and this place serves bagels that are absolutely out of this world. Best I've ever had, anywhere.

They serve cheesecake and cannolis, too :drool:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Man, right around the corner we have a family run place called New York Bagel & Deli. It's run by a bunch of Italians from Brooklyn. They all have thick Brooklyn accents and this place serves bagels that are absolutely out of this world. Best I've ever had, anywhere.

They serve cheesecake and cannolis, too :drool:
jebus, do you live around the corner from me? theres a place by me that is like the place you described to the T

on a serious note, can we get a sticky in the C&T forum for home theater help? id be happy to answer anyone's question there

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I don't think I've ever had a really good bagel. Most of the bagel I eat are Thomas'.

The french toast I made this morning was with cinnamon bread. :drool:

Edit:
I also had bacon with it, and real Vermont maple syrup, Grade A Fancy.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MBC had a successful trip to the electronics store. We've been upgraded. :monkey: Though she did have to drive to another location to pick up the TV.

Sorry to derail...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I just got my own TV, I've never actually owned one myself (I did have a PCI TV tuner in college about ten years ago) but my new apartment has free cable TV. I got a Samsung LN40B550 LCD HDTV for $650 shipped from newegg about a week ago and its been great so far. I didn't want to spend too much as display technology is still changing pretty quickly. I'm going to get a HTPC very soon too which is why I went LCD (plus LCD use less power/put off less heat).

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I just got my own TV, I've never actually owned one myself (I did have a PCI TV tuner in college about ten years ago) but my new apartment has free cable TV. I got a Samsung LN40B550 LCD HDTV for $650 shipped from newegg about a week ago and its been great so far. I didn't want to spend too much as display technology is still changing pretty quickly. I'm going to get a HTPC very soon too which is why I went LCD (plus LCD use less power/put off less heat).
Why you gotta try to hijack MBC's thread?