Quantcast

Going to see the Pixies Tonight!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Anyone Jealous? I am only 22 and recently got into them, but im sure there is alot of fans on the board... :evil:

"got hips like cinderella"

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sweet, man. Seen them twice last year and look forward to another round this summer.

Been into them since I was a young(er) 'un, but they broke up before I could see them. I actually went to a U2 show way back when b/c the Pixies were supposed to open, but it turned out to be Primus and the Disposible Heroes of Hiphoprisy, both of which, let's say, well, blew goats as arena bands. Pixies broke up immediately thereafter, bumming me well-out.

Anyhow, the recent Pixies are old and wise, and simply rock out. Don't expect antics or cutesy banter or dialouge or even that much attitude, beyond the attitude which exudes from playing almost every single kickass song they ever recorded in rapid succession in an hour-long set. It's been a total wall of sound in both shows I saw. You get a giggly comment or two from Kim Deal, a dry retort or two from Black Francis, and a little swagger plus an astounding guitar solo from Joey Santiago (typically accomplished with one of David Lovering's drumsticks). But generally, it's all about the sound and the music...it's probably the coolest show I've ever seen.

My girlfriend really didn't like the Pixies or understand my love of them until we saw them live. But after one show, she went back for a second. Now she understands.

MD

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I saw them on their tour for Trome le Monde, just before they broke up. Amazing show. I saw them again during their first reunion tour. They sounded good, but it didn't have the same energy. Good time though. Have fun.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
pixelninja said:
I saw them on their tour for Trome le Monde, just before they broke up. Amazing show. I saw them again during their first reunion tour. They sounded good, but it didn't have the same energy. Good time though. Have fun.
Yeah, comparing them to the first time around, I think some people find the stage presence and 'energy' lacking. Me, I just appreciate them not trying to fake it and just playing great music. They've avoided the tragic Jane's Addiction reunion syndrome, and pretty much admit they're just touring because they were bored and needed the money. A lot of the angst and tension that fueled them originally is probably gone...but it's what led to the breakup as well.

We'll see what happens when and if they record a new album...that's what has me both scared and excited. I'd really, really hate to see them put out a shoddy product.

MD

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
MikeD said:
Yeah, comparing them to the first time around, I think some people find the stage presence and 'energy' lacking. Me, I just appreciate them not trying to fake it and just playing great music. They've avoided the tragic Jane's Addiction reunion syndrome, and pretty much admit they're just touring because they were bored and needed the money. A lot of the angst and tension that fueled them originally is probably gone...but it's what led to the breakup as well.

We'll see what happens when and if they record a new album...that's what has me both scared and excited. I'd really, really hate to see them put out a shoddy product.

MD
There's a great Pixies DVD out Michael. Partsy has got it and I watched it at his joint. Well worth it.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
valve bouncer said:
There's a great Pixies DVD out Michael. Partsy has got it and I watched it at his joint. Well worth it.
Sweet, thanks for the info, Herr Bouncer... I think I saw it at Tower Records or something in passing. I need to pick it up!

MD

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Oh man your going to be so amped to see them live. I've seen them play twice and I saw Frank Black (signer for the pixies solo act) once. They are incredible live, not much energy apart from the music, but damn it sounds sooo good:drool:. I've been into them since I was 12, so thats 13 years now.
They don't really jump around or anything, they pretty much just pound through songs back to back, it's great. It's funny though, when listening to their songs I still invision Frank Black to be this skinny guy just going nuts on stange....not even close.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Oh man, I am sooo jealous! Like many, I love the Pixies. Never got to see them live though I did see Frank Black (He'll always be Black Francis) once, and he rocked. Dang, I just realized that he's 40! See kids, chronological age means nothing.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
firetoole said:
good deal.

saw them back in the day
who are they touring w/
Not sure actually. I wasn't able to get to the venue until right before the Pixies went on. I think the opener is different each show? Or each city?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
saw 'em once on either the Bossanova or Trompe le Monde tour...great stuff. BF's mom was a few rows in front of us.

_surfer rosa_ and _come on pilgrim_ belong in any sensible record collection. i still have found memories of driving down in the 95F heat of Napa Valley, circa 1990, w/ "Broken Face" at full volume.