Quantcast

going to sun valley, need help

Morgan

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
all lit up
hi, hope this is in the right place, ID is considered pnw i think, anyways, i am going to sun valley, any thoughts on mt baldy? anywhere wlese to ride(dh). i have never been before and would love to do some riding, thank you, Morgan

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Back when a Proflex 858 (the bike I rented) was considered a hot ride, I rode the lift(s) one summer. I remember only a couple of trail choices, but they were outrageously long dh runs, and not too mellow either. I mostly remember riding on pieces of shale on a 3ft. wide trail in the side of a cliff, pretty sweet. I say if they're still running it that it's probably gotten even better and you should definetly go do it.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I went to Sun Valley last year for a week and am going again in a month and I have no intention of riding Baldy. The locals say it's a waste of time considering what else is out there that you'll miss when riding there. Unless you just gotta have lift served. There are several good trail guides of the area and the folks at Elephant's Perch in Ketchum are great for the latest info. Depending on your fitness and what you're interested in doing, the sky's the limit. Pioneer Cabin, Corral Creek, Adams Gulch, all good stuff. Spend some time down by Haily and hit Wolftone Canyon to Curran Gulch or Mars Ridge. Spectacular. Then, drive North to Stanley and hit Willaims/Fisher Creek for sure along with Basin Creek Loop(clockwise), and definately Big Boulder Creek Trail. Worth hitting dirtworld.com and mtbr.com for reviews as well. Weed through the garbage and make good decisions. Every day can be epic there.

StrangeBrew

Chimp
Feb 7, 2004
Arlington, WA
I was there a couple or years ago and there definately are some epic trails. Most of what I rode was cross-country. Taking one turn off the trail can easily add 2 more hours to your ride. I borrowed a friend's Heckler and it was an awesome bike for the terrain. There was a helpful shop in town too. Have fun!

Morgan

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
all lit up
thank you for the help :monkey: 's, saddly or maybe goodly(lol) plans have changed and i am now going to tahoe for the week, SV will follow that trip later in the summer