Quantcast

going to the bottom

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
mmm disgusting... :dead: :dead: By the way even though the picture indicates I'm a tool, I was like 130 lbs at the time and it... looked? cool...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by MMcG
OOOH - ouch that does not look good- not good at all. Was anyone there to witness it? What was the end result to the rider and the bike? I would assume not good on both counts. :( :dead:
Yeah, he must have been real high to land that hard.
I also bet he was smoking coming into that jump as well.

Ha, 2 pot jokes in 2 sentences.:p

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
i just got me a nice pic from tonight with my new 5th element shock on. and to whoever asked me to look for other positions for it im pretty sure this is the only one. and to put it in the slack seeting you will have to grind the plate a bit which i think i might do cause i heard of one person doing it before.

heres my pic(s)

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
haha, i can never tell when i bottom, i am 'too caught up in the moment' hehe:D i dont even know if i have the right spring.
i am a 130 pund rider and have a romic shock with a spring of 500 lbs. that right? or way to heavy
:confused:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
the best part about that shot of me doing the glc during the airdh is that I didn't even know I had bottomed out like that until 4-5 days later when miko (fury) came up to me and said "dude, you have to see this sequence shot I got of you" I laughed so hard when I saw it, seriously I didn't notice it one bit and the bike/wheels/tires/whatever were fine.......good job on the trigger miko, you timed that set perfectly! you high skill on the lens no doubt right? ;) I can't wait for this next season....mmmmmm shredding....

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by FlipFantasia
the best part about that shot of me doing the glc during the airdh is that I didn't even know I had bottomed out like that until 4-5 days later when miko (fury) came up to me and said "dude, you have to see this sequence shot I got of you" I laughed so hard when I saw it, seriously I didn't notice it one bit and the bike/wheels/tires/whatever were fine.......good job on the trigger miko, you timed that set perfectly! you high skill on the lens no doubt right? ;) I can't wait for this next season....mmmmmm shredding....
I have an internal timer that can sense a sequence and the following frames to within 1/4second. That or I just take a lot of pictures and take out a lot of trash. :D

No more though, got myself a digital rebel and a 512mb card. Now I can shoot even more indiscriminately! :D

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by zedro
thats why good bikes use linkages, lets you have the best of both worlds :p :D

its the same for a well tuned fork, you'll get most of your travel most of the time; it'll eat whatever travel it needs and not bottom out.
This seems a little contradictory, first you say "good" bikes have linkages to have the best of both worlds, then you bring up that good forks are like that too.

Forks are just shocks running a 1:1 leverage ratio and no linkage, which makes it seem like you are saying if you have a good shock you don't need a linkage to get that feeling.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by crashing_sux
This seems a little contradictory, first you say "good" bikes have linkages to have the best of both worlds, then you bring up that good forks are like that too.

Forks are just shocks running a 1:1 leverage ratio and no linkage, which makes it seem like you are saying if you have a good shock you don't need a linkage to get that feeling.
you're overlooking the fact that forks can and are designed to be very progressive. while this same behavior can be produced in shocks, generally it isn't, as it's cleaner mechanically (and the shock is compatible with a wider range of frame designs) when the shock is straight rate and the frame handles the rising rate duties via a linkage.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by Toshi
you're overlooking the fact that forks can and are designed to be very progressive. while this same behavior can be produced in shocks, generally it isn't, as it's cleaner mechanically (and the shock is compatible with a wider range of frame designs) when the shock is straight rate and the frame handles the rising rate duties via a linkage.
Ahh....gotcha now. Didn't realize you were ignoring the existence of Curnutt's, 5th Elements, and Swingers. I guess if you ignore that tiny, tiny, almost unheard of segment of shocks (what decent frame or rider ever used one of these anyway?) you'd be spot on. Personally I like to be able to tune the progressiveness in the shock, both the fork and the rear shock.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by crashing_sux
Ahh....gotcha now. Didn't realize you were ignoring the existence of Curnutt's, 5th Elements, and Swingers. I guess if you ignore that tiny, tiny, almost unheard of segment of shocks (what decent frame or rider ever used one of these anyway?) you'd be spot on. Personally I like to be able to tune the progressiveness in the shock, both the fork and the rear shock.
well, that's the big argument. whether to have a simple frame design and a complex shock, or a simple shock and a linkage. and you seem to have made up your mind already, good for you :rolleyes:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
well, that's the big argument. whether to have a simple frame design and a complex shock, or a simple shock and a linkage. and you seem to have made up your mind already, good for you :rolleyes:
lol. And i guess i missed the convention that determined Curnutt-esque shocks were the end-all of technology:rolleyes:. I mean, everyone has one right? well at least those trying desperatly to improve their pidely single pivots:p :D

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Quite the opposite, you seem to have made up your mind allready. So far my favorite bikes have been horst link designs with progressive linkages. That's hardly enough to make me close my mind to alternatives though.

Still, I wasn't trying to start that debate as it's been had elsewhere, it just occured to me that it seemed contradictory. When you refer to a "complex" shock you make it sound almost like it's mysterious alien technology, when it needs no more complexity than an air chamber of adjustable volume, the same as virtually every fork out there currently has. Doesn't sound so complex to me. I wasn't referring to curnutt style shocks in every case either, as most forks currently use oil level to adjust progressiveness of the spring which is an entirely different concept than adjusting the progressiveness of the damping.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
I remember seeing a picture of a Mad Catz rider from when they were still riding Oranges and the bike looked pretty maxed out on its travel.