Quantcast

Going to the Olympic Torch Protest: What should I do?

What should I do?

• Total voters

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Tell the rest of the idiots there that they are a waste of f'in space and preventing the flow of business. My company had to cancel all meetings between 11 and 2 because we could not get from our offices across Embarcadero to the financial district. It cost us money, probably lots of it.
If you want to voice your concerns, find a good corporate sponsor, don't impair business. This is why hippie movements fail, they don't understand where the money comes from.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Tell the rest of the idiots there that they are a waste of f'in space and preventing the flow of business. My company had to cancel all meetings between 11 and 2 because we could not get from our offices across Embarcadero to the financial district. It cost us money, probably lots of it.
If you want to voice your concerns, find a good corporate sponsor, don't impair business. This is why hippie movements fail, they don't understand where the money comes from.
dude, you're too uptight. you need to get stoney.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My heart breaks for your company. Maybe if your office moved to Milpitas, you would stop complaining about Embarcadero protests.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hippies need to stay in Berkeley. It keeps their dirty petulie smell there.

Jan 29, 2005
:nopity:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Shutting down big business and screwing up people's days is a pretty good way to attract attention to your cause.

See: Truckers blocking highways with big rigs, public transit going on strike etc.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yes, but what kind of attention do you want? Given the chaos of today, most companies would not want to be attached to such a negative publicity group.
Attention yes; good attention? no.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yes, but what kind of attention do you want? Given the chaos of today, most companies would not want to be attached to such a negative publicity group.
Attention yes; good attention? no.
Like what? Coke doing business in the largest market in the world, who happens also to be the biggest violator of civil rights?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Here's an idea. Instead of going to the protest why not just GET RID OF ALL YOUR GODDAMN CHINESE STUFF AND STOP BUYING IT.

I am so sick of people protesting the chinese and then heading down to wal-mart to fill their mini vans.

Stop being a convenient protester because its fashionable.

Oh, and if you want to protest a nation over-running another and mistreating its people, head down to any of the reservations in arizona or new mexico.

Plus they have some awesome riding down there.
Must spread rep.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Not buying Chinese stuff is a drop in a multibillion-dollar bucket and doesn't get TV exposure. This isn't necessarily a day to be aware before forgetting about it, it's the one day where there will be a LOT of coverage which is what matters more than a personal boycott. And I'm willing to bet a lot of these people already vote with their dollar (it's SF), not shop exclusively at Wal-Mart which you guys seem to suggest. (is there a Wal-Mart within 50 miles of SF?)

And don't rag on the protesters for doing this, excuse them for not dedicating 100% of their lives to solving the world's problems. They're making their voices heard and that's a step. And I forgot that women's sufferage and civil rights movements weren't grassroots at all but took place in Congress. :rolleyes:

My point isn't that it would be more effective, but that if you are going to "talk the talk" you also need to "walk the walk."

These protesters can be like the bonewipes that wear a livestrong bracelet and also smoke. WTF.

It's good to take a stand on something, but unless you are really willing to take the hit in your own personal life, you're just being fashionable - like putting the "support the troops" ribbon on your car and then wanting a tax break instead of spending more on the VA to help cover all the wounded vets coming back.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
do yrself a favor and listen to the Jam's "Burning Sky".

this thread turned into high horse patrol. i love the jump in logic that if you don't agree w/ China's repression of Tibet, that you automatically fill yr minivan w/ crap from wal-mart on a weekly basis.

some deep thinkers here...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My Disguise:

Fank Tank:

btw, one Tibetan protestor kept saying "Chinaman Square". I almost popped him one.

My shot of the protest: