Quantcast

Going tubeless, new wheels or stans?

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
I want to go tubeless for next season. My demo 8 is just too heavy in the wheels. Will changing dh tubes to stans save much weight? like a significant change? Also, if I decide to go UST what are some good wheelsets other that 819's and deemax's?

MDBullit

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
Bethesda, MD
I had tubeless at snowshoe and it was very good to have, no flatting. It does save a good amount of weight, I recommend it. You have D321 rims right? If you aren't beating those up too badly, might as well go with some 819s laced to Hadleys :dancing:

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
I'd just go Stans unless you need (or want ) a new wheel set any way :D

Over all total bike weight savings is not that significant but you will def. notice a differance in the bike because the weight you are shaving is unsprung rotating weight . I'd say go for it either way :thumb:

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
i have 721's right now, they are holding up pretty good. i have a ding in the sidewall of my rear and its out of true but the front is good as new.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I can feel the difference going from DH tubes to Stans as I have been on and off Stans this year. I have been on 729 (new 321) all year and at the moment I am running them with Kenda 2.5 Nevegal 25psi with success.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
What is the difference? I know the bike is going to "feel" lighter but is that it? Can you whip the bike better in the air? Easier to maneuver? I remember seeing a video of a guy riding over a bunch of nails and nothing happens, can you acutally do that with stans?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
819's???

Isn't that kinda nuts for DH? - I mean as the name says the inner width is only 19mm. Shouldn't the logical choice for DH be the EX823?

Plus - how strong is it compared to a DH rim - the 819 is only a freeride/XC rim, right?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
dont use stans kit, its a rip off, just take a 20 inch bmx tube, cut it down the center and stretch it over the top of your rim, mount the tire on over it, put some stans sealant in in and inflate, lighter than stans and actually works wayyyy better than stans, better seal at the bead, actually, almost too good, very to hard to break the seal even with no air in the tire and me pushing inwards on the tire. Ive run it all season front and rear on my dh, fr bike, no flats the whole year, only had to put in more sealant once (after 5 months).
________
TEEN STRIPPING

Last edited:

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
I tried the "ghetto tubeless" just for the hell of it on my front wheel. I used the 20" tube and cut it down the center, and got it to seal, but the bead of the tire just didnt hook in the rim as well with the tube in the way. I got it to seal a little bit but there were little air bubbles coming straight out of the sidewall as well as the bead. :think: I tried it on a Michelin Mtn X'trem and a DT 6.1d rim.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
weird, i've done it intense mag 30's, mtx's, mavic xc ones, never had a problem, tubless, non-tubless tires, all works. I even did it on my urban bike with holy rollers running 60 psi.
________
Ipad Accessories

Last edited:

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
i heard you can make your own sealant too, how could i do that? i could try this tomorrow just for fun on my xc bike which i never ride.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
also, does anyone here know cost on deemaxes? you could p.m. me. i work at a shop but i don't feel like waiting a week until i work next to find out

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
i had tubeless for one ride. then a rock sliced my rear tire on my first run and that was the end of tubeless (in the rear) for me. i have a michelin 2.8 running tubeless on the front tho and it's held up fine.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
You only replace the tube when you get a flat.

With tubless if you get a puncture the sealant seals the hole. Most punctures I do not notice until I get home(you can see the sealant slowly leaking from the tire). I have had a few large punctures so my tire was soft 5-10 psi by the time I got to the bottom of the hill. To fix I would just pull my tire off, put a tube patch on the inside of the tire over the hole. Then mount the tire, add more sealant inflate and you are good to go.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Dirtbike said:
... but the bead of the tire just didnt hook in the rim as well with the tube in the way...
Yep, that is the problem with "ghetto tubeless," you don't want anything between the outside of the bead and the rim. Also, depending on the rim design the "ghetto" method may not be thick enough to provide a good seal along the bottom edge.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I don't even think the stans is that expensive for the kit. I have now used mine for two seasons and the strips just fit the rims perfectly and its so easy to install.

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
Maxxis makes rim strips for about $3.00 that work great. They come in different sizes for different width rims. I've used the DH 1 strips with Stans Latex on mavic 729(aka321?) with maxxis tires for a few years. You lose about 1lb per wheel and can tell a bit of a difference. The biggest improvement is that I've practiced/raced at all the local races and NMBS races for 2 years without a flat. It is a pain to change tires though...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
LaytonDH said:
Maxxis makes rim strips for about $3.00 that work great. They come in different sizes for different width rims. I've used the DH 1 strips with Stans Latex on mavic 729(aka321?) with maxxis tires for a few years. You lose about 1lb per wheel and can tell a bit of a difference. The biggest improvement is that I've practiced/raced at all the local races and NMBS races for 2 years without a flat. It is a pain to change tires though...
Absolutely. I've used stan's strips, cut 20" tubes, finally the maxxis strips and tubeless rims. Tubeless rims are obviously the best system but the maxxis strips on not tubeless rims are a close second. Those things work WAY better than stan's strips. They mimic the contours of a tubeless rim and seal up much easier.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
kidwoo said:
Absolutely. I've used stan's strips, cut 20" tubes, finally the maxxis strips and tubeless rims. Tubeless rims are obviously the best system but the maxxis strips on not tubeless rims are a close second. Those things work WAY better than stan's strips. They mimic the contours of a tubeless rim and seal up much easier.
Yeah, I have used both as well.
If you are starting from scratch, then get the UST rims for sure.
They work great, and you don't have to worry about air leaking from the spoke holes.
I also bought the Stans kit and it is frankly way overpriced.
I had a problem with the rim strip leaking around the valve hole from a tear about halfway through the season, and then the other strip developed tears all in it.
Them asking $25 for a rim strip that should not cost anymore than a tube is absurd.
The Maxxis strips are $5.
The funny thing is I even had a tire tech that competes with Maxxis tell me to get the Maxxis strips because they work so well.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
LOOnatic said:
I need new hoops and have been wanting to go tubeless for a while.
Riding Mag 30's now and want about the same level of rim.
Can you guys give me some advice on UST rims that are about as burly as what i got now?
Good question.
The only ones I really know of is the 823's as far as UST.

I ran the MTX rims all year, and they work great with the Maxxis strips, and that would be cheaper as well. But it does add more hassle to the game for sure.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yeah i would just go stanz tubless, or i you have it spend the cash and get some rims, but i have heard good things about the stanz tubless kit

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Eitherway would work fine as far as ghetto or stans. I'm currently running Stans and have had good luck with it thusfar. Just be sure you're prepared to use a compressor. There is no way in hell to get the bead to seal at all if you're using a handpump. :p

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
i am running Stans on my SL1 single tracks........ no leaks no slices works great. Price isnt too bad either....... yes there is maintanance involved gotta replace the stans fluid cause it dries out inside teh tire....... a good replacement for the stans fluid is the Bontrager super juice......works absolute wonders and wont dry out like teh stans does..... We have built a few wheel now and have just used teh Yellow stans tap and a Ust valve<Works on presta rims only> without any rubber liner and that seals up wonderfully also.
the Roll will cost ya at Wholesale 65 bucks though what ever you get make sure teh kit is made for the width of the rim you have and made for the valve type the rim was originally made for with stans with a Schraeder valve youll need to Drill out the inner hole of your rim to 3/8 inch.... wont effect using a tube later if ya need to....... Oh and always take a tube with cause if it isnt a Real Ust rim itll be near impossible to get the tire beaded ont eh trail with a hand pump if you should need to make a repair
________
HelenH

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
For home installation the Stans little kit with the syringe and the valve core remover is nice. Just put on the complete tire and then fill in the liquid when the tire on completly.

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
I use Stans and BMX tubes with Maxxis tires on Deemax wheels. I have used Ghetto tubles for two seasons. I have had one incident where a puncture in the tire was too large for the stans to seal it. I put a tube in for the rest of the weekend. Other than that no issues, no leakage, no problems.