Quantcast

Going up to BB...what are snow tires?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
From what I remember in Colorado snow tires are the tires with the metal studs in them....granted that no one in Southern California, except for me of course, can drive in the snow...what do they consider snow tires down here? On Snow Summits website it says chains except for 4x4s with snow tires...do BFG All Terrains count? I've driven through plenty of winters with less.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Dog Welder said:
From what I remember in Colorado snow tires are the tires with the metal studs in them....granted that no one in Southern California, except for me of course, can drive in the snow...what do they consider snow tires down here? On Snow Summits website it says chains except for 4x4s with snow tires...do BFG All Terrains count? I've driven through plenty of winters with less.
The A/T's are good to go.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
At Mount Laguna, they told me my Goodrich A/Ts were NOT snow tires, b/c they had no metal studs. Either studded tires or chains they told me, regardless of my 4wd.

Then, this year, the CHP let me up in my Subaru with stock Potenza tires, as long as I "kept it in 4wd and went slow." Of course, some asshole in a 4x4 Tacoma doing like 45 mph with snow chains on managed to cross lanes and ram me on the way up...

So yeah, anyhow, it's really the call of the officer who's enforcing the rules. Carry chains, though, because if you don't, you're likely to end up pissed off.

MD

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
C'mon, everybody knows that there really isn't snow in the san bernardino mountains, it's just an act snow summit puts on to get lazy skateboarders to spend money in the winter. You should be fine with any rubber unless you are planning on going up the day of a storm. The real question is, can I put some mud tires on my saturn so I'll be able to make it up my driveway this afternoon?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Whats funny is I was watching the news and they were showing the caravans that were going up to BB...all these BMW SUVs and chains on the rear wheels.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I dunno what BFG tires you can use without chains, maybe BFG muds? if anything from that company.

I know pro-comp has a tire that can be used where chains are required. I think it's their AT or their X-terrian tire. I read somewhere that they are one of the few tires that got the OK for use in snow without chains.

I dunno if I could find chain's to fit on 33's or 35's. I have super swampers right now which if you know truck tires they are about the worst street tire ever/best off-road tire. They have sucky traction in rain, probably worst in snow.

If you have a normal truck/car I'd just pick up some chains and take it slow, even in 4wd. I don't drive in the snow ever so I'm not worried. But if I was to make a trip I'd go out of my way to get chians. Better to have them at a check point and keep going then to get turned down and have to go find some.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Taken from the CHP website:

I have a 4-wheel drive vehicle. Do I have to carry / use chains? What do the "R" ratings which are associated with chain requirements mean?

"R" ratings on snowy roads indicate chain requirements for various conditions. Some vehicles may not be required to use chains under all conditions, but all vehicles must carry chains. Most vehicles come equipped with snow tires. Look for M+S (mud and snow), All Season, or All Terrain, on the side of the tire.

R-1 chains required except for vehicles with snow tires (chains required for any vehicle pulling a trailer)

R-2 chains required except for 4-wheel drive with snow tires

R-3 chains required for all vehicles

I have studded tires installed on my vehicle. Are they legal in California? When?

The California Vehicle Code [Section 27454 (e)], permits studded tires to be used on vehicles between November 1 and April 30 of each year. The number of studs or the percentage of metal in contact with the roadway cannot exceed three percent of the total tire area in contact with the roadway.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm looking for snow tires for my Subaru - I've never bought snow tires before...

I'm not going to be too concerned about mileage or noise - my primary concern will be deep powder on secondary roads.

So far I have had no issues in the snow - dry packed powder and 6 to 8 inches of fluff on paved roads. Looking for something that will do well on gravel mountain roads the get minimal traffic.

Any suggestions?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm looking for snow tires for my Subaru - I've never bought snow tires before...

I'm not going to be too concerned about mileage or noise - my primary concern will be deep powder on secondary roads.

So far I have had no issues in the snow - dry packed powder and 6 to 8 inches of fluff on paved roads. Looking for something that will do well on gravel mountain roads the get minimal traffic.

Any suggestions?
I dont think cali allows studs but the Nokian studless are kick @$$ tires. The wife used them up in Lewiston in lots of nasty snow and ice and they hooked up. Then we sold them before moving back to SLOCAL!
Hers another good brand as well http://www.lesschwab.com/tires/winter/observe.asp

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm in Butte MT - I was considering Nokians but not so sure on the price or even what model is best.

I dont think cali allows studs but the Nokian studless are kick @$$ tires. The wife used them up in Lewiston in lots of nasty snow and ice and they hooked up. Then we sold them before moving back to SLOCAL!
Hers another good brand as well http://www.lesschwab.com/tires/winter/observe.asp

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm in Butte MT - I was considering Nokians but not so sure on the price or even what model is best.
Yeah we looked at several and after talking to a few shops and looking ended up with the ones the wife had, Ill see if I can find the receipt. We did 55 on 3" Ice snow pack to seattle with them on and passed studded set ups as well as 4x4s with siped terrain. They surprised me, WAY better than I expected.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.

Any suggestions?
Nokian makes some nice snows, Bridgestone Blizzaks are nice too, I've used both and had no complaints with either.

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
At Mount Laguna, they told me my Goodrich A/Ts were NOT snow tires, b/c they had no metal studs. Either studded tires or chains they told me, regardless of my 4wd.

Then, this year, the CHP let me up in my Subaru with stock Potenza tires, as long as I "kept it in 4wd and went slow." Of course, some asshole in a 4x4 Tacoma doing like 45 mph with snow chains on managed to cross lanes and ram me on the way up...

So yeah, anyhow, it's really the call of the officer who's enforcing the rules. Carry chains, though, because if you don't, you're likely to end up pissed off.

MD
Crazy! I think I was right behind you when this happened, was it like 4 years ago? I just remember driving up the Sunrise Highway while it was snowing out and this guy coming down the hill in a tacoma locked up his brakes and slid over into the oncoming lane hitting the car in front of me and just missing me.

teamcurtis

Chimp
May 29, 2008
ive never had an issue with 4wd and at's at BigBear or Tahoe. But in Tahoe law enforcement has actually SEEN snow before so they tend to be more reasonable. I wouldnt buy chains and roll the dice. otherwise youll have $100+ chains sitting in your vehicle that youll prob never use.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
At summit/bigB.. it's not snow on the roads you have to worry about... it's the ice. Granted it's not everywhere, but with the multitude of Socal drivers having no experience driving in snow/ice/rain etc... the CHP tend to be overzealous with their enforcement