Quantcast

going wireless throughout home (and server question)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm going to hide my desktop computer in a cabinet next to my main TV, use it as a server and to watch movies, play video games, whatever.

Since it's going to be hidden, I want a wireless mouse and keyboard. Suggestions? Nothing expensive please.

Also, I'd like to have elsewhere in our house a fax machine and printer. We have a printer now, but it's not wireless. So, do we buy a fax/printer combo with wireless built-in -or- buy a seperate fax only machine and a print server wireless box thing for the printer?

Our new home is fully wired (cat-5), so maybe I don't need to go wireless for the printer? Tho I'm not sure how to "drive" the printer if it's not connected to a computer?

Lastly, I think it's time to do server-based back-ups. Any suggestions on cheap software?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
whoa, on sale for $25 periodically? Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it.
Ya, I have 2 sets of them i got on sale for $29 cnd each last fall at best buy. Theyw ork great, the range to the transmitter is a bit limited, but the cord on the transmitter is fairly long. I just have it under my sofa and it works great.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If you have XP home its not part of the basic install but is on the disks or you can download it from microsoft. If it is installed its under accessories > system tools.

Like DNA said its not fancy but it works and it's free.
Thanks, I think I have just basic install. I'll DL it tonight.