Quantcast

Going Xc Sold The Vp!

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Hell no, not really. Just had this thing in the garage for years now and cant afford a lighter bike right now. So now Im gonna use this to try and get my fat a$$ in shape, most likely get my a$$ handed to me at P Tent on this thing, rim brakes, 3 inches of plush travel, and full on XC geometry, should be fun.

Attachments

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Ha ha - I thought you were following in my footsteps. My VP sold on ebay in like 12 hrs or something. You need to bring that thing up here and we'll go hit up some Squirrel Gap! :thumb:

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Kenan, that Squirrel Gap trail was just in bike magazine, says its 7.5 miles long, do you know or have ever done the whole thing? You say when and Ill bring the old XC thumper out, serious, Id like to check that trail out.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Yeah I don't know anything about it other than it's supposed to a heck of a XC ride. Maybe JeremyR will chime in here - he probably knows.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Im starting to think Jeremy doesnt like me, he never posts in any of my threads, THATS RIGHT JEREMY IM CALLIN YOU OUT post up PUNK!

And HA HA Jeff real funny.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Oh sorry.
I was busy praying for your bicycle.:panic:
Actually, I have never ridden squirrel gap.
But I have ridden in that general area, and it would have to be hilly.
Those MTBR guys always have that trail in their "epic" rides.
I would watch some of those rides though. They will have you climbing technical singletrack all day and coming down fireroads.
Just ask Doug about that.:rofl:

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
WOW, that was quick Jeremy, and you and Jeff are a couple of comedians I'll tell ya!

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
squirrel gap is sweet, but it's definitely an xc ride. From the cradle to turkeypen is the way to do it if you're looking for a net elevation loss, but there's climbing in both directions. Much of the trail is like 6 inches wide and rugged. The best part of it is accessed from horse cove gap trail, killer singletrack descent with switchbacks. Lots of people pedal from turkeypen up bradley creek trail to yellow gap rd, then pedal up to horse cove gap and descend squirrel gap back to turkeypen.

by the way, that particular trail, among others in the area are closed until april for a prescribed burn.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
squirrel gap is out of this world..... but its way the f' back

Here is some helmet cam footage....

and a sorta review

http://www.sirbikesalot.com/entry.php?fid=154

Definitely worth it.....
How long ago did you ride it? The SORBA goats have worked on it pretty hard to widen some section that wasn't rideable and they are going to be out on it tomorrow morning cutting a bunch of blown down trees and stuff out.

I've never done Squirrel and the SORBA guys will all break out some massive dirt road descents just to climb something hairy..so I'd trust your description more than theirs. All me and Jeremy have ever heard was...."multiple, multiple stream crossings"

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Damn work is nuts... How did I miss this thread? Was there a PTent ride recently?
Rob, I will be out there riding the good ol' xc bike all this week, so hit me up if you can ride any afternoon this week, cause I will most likely be there.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Rob, I will be out there riding the good ol' xc bike all this week, so hit me up if you can ride any afternoon this week, cause I will most likely be there.
What time are you typically there? I am not sure if I can make it, but I might try to get a ride in at Sherman Branch. It is 5 minutes from my house. I will be in Spartanburg Wednesday, then Dallas Thursday and Friday :brow:

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Today Ill be there between 4 and 5 tomorrow Ill be there by 5. Lemme know if you can make it out this way today or tomorrow.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
How long ago did you ride it? The SORBA goats have worked on it pretty hard to widen some section that wasn't rideable and they are going to be out on it tomorrow morning cutting a bunch of blown down trees and stuff out.

I've never done Squirrel and the SORBA guys will all break out some massive dirt road descents just to climb something hairy..so I'd trust your description more than theirs. All me and Jeremy have ever heard was...."multiple, multiple stream crossings"
Squirrel itself is sweet singletrack but as Mulestar said getting there is where all the climbing comes in. It's worth it though.

I think we rode it right after they had the big work day there last year. They had definitely improved some of the more awkward spots.