Quantcast

Gold DVDs?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Has anyone here used any of the newer gold archival DVDs? I want to back up several years worth of photographs and I've seen some ads about these newer DVDs/CDs that have a layer of gold in them and have a life of 100 years or more.

Anyone have any links to articles/reviews of gold DVDs?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, I've posted about these a few times, most recently in this thread.

The ones I linked to really are archival quality and have had accelerated aging tests done. They're extremely expensive, though, and I'm not sure I'd trust other random DVDs that just have a gold layer in them without seeing tests done.

The flip side is that for me, it takes a few hours to back up my entire collection to DVDs, and I only have to refresh my DVDs once every couple years. Plus, every several years you have to figure the storage technology will change - in a couple years either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will be widely adopted and cheap, and you can refresh your collection onto much larger discs.

I toy with the idea of doing this every once in a while and then realize that it's really not very time consuming for me to refresh my backups every couple years, and combining that with changing storage technologies... I've never invested in the gold discs.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO

The ones I linked to really are archival quality and have had accelerated aging tests done. They're extremely expensive, though, and I'm not sure I'd trust other random DVDs that just have a gold layer in them without seeing tests done.

The flip side is that for me, it takes a few hours to back up my entire collection to DVDs, and I only have to refresh my DVDs once every couple years. Plus, every several years you have to figure the storage technology will change - in a couple years either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will be widely adopted and cheap, and you can refresh your collection onto much larger discs.

I toy with the idea of doing this every once in a while and then realize that it's really not very time consuming for me to refresh my backups every couple years, and combining that with changing storage technologies... I've never invested in the gold discs.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO

I just picked up some of these discs and started burning over the weekend.

I didn't realize it, but MAM-A is located just down the road, in Colorado Springs.