Quantcast

Gold Label Question

skiplie

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
Alright so I got a 2006 gold label in late october, and it feels like its locked out. It is extremely stiff and the only way I can make it go down is by bunnyhopping then pushing down as hard as possible, even then it only goes down like a centimeter. I though it might need new oil so I unscrewed the cap on the right side of the fork, and took out the piece it is connected to. I was hoping to see oil in the fork, but there is nothing in there at all, and I am pretty freaking sure that is where the oil goes. I looked on the manitou service guide and it says put 4.3 to 4.5 inches of oil (110 - 115mm) in it, but how are you supposed to measure it?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm not too hip on Manitous, but it sounds like you have a blown seal that allowed the oil to seep to the lower part of the leg and what, effectively, you are experiencing is hydraulic lockout. time for an overhaul.

1mm = 1cc, so just get a graduated cylinder and measure it out.

mason1

Chimp
Mar 17, 2007
in my own little world
i'm not too hip on Manitous, but it sounds like you have a blown seal that allowed the oil to seep to the lower part of the leg and what, effectively, you are experiencing is hydraulic lockout. time for an overhaul.

1mm = 1cc, so just get a graduated cylinder and measure it out.
I thought it was supposed to be 1mL = 1 cc.

skiplie

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
alright I got some new oil and if I wanted to change the oil how would I go about doing that?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The height manitou lists is the distance from the top of the oil to the top of the crown, when the fork is fully extended. Kinda dumb, but that's how they do it. It's easy to change the oil though. Grab the manual and have at it.