Quantcast

Golden Council moves to shut down biking on N Table mtn

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
All,
It embarasses me that I live in Golden now. My City council put a motion to advise Jefferson County NOT to allow Mtn biking on North Table mountain.

When I heard this (this isn't new news, but news to me today), was was blowing a gasket.

I called my City Council representative and asked her the details. Here's the short:

The City council listened to a group of people that wanted GOLDEN to make their official position known to the N Table mountain project. They (hikers) want to have all mtn bikers banned from any trail on North Table mountain. Only horses and Hikers allowed.

I asked her why the bikes were to be banned. I got a bunch of answers that only lead to prejudice pretenses.... here were her answers:

Mtn Bikers are annoying and rude. They don't yeild to hikers or small chidren (which could get hurt).... Funny with the 'kid' thing.

Mtn Bikers will tear up the environment and harm the trail.

Mtn bikers will disrupt the free flowing yoga that people often seek.

Mtn bikers have 125 miles of trails in jefferson county, hikers only have 12.

My Rebutal:

Actually, hikers have 12 more miles than mtn bikers do. Hiking can be done on all mtn bike trails
I asked her how many mtn bike only trails there were: her answer: none (reluctantly)
I then focused it to the state level: Hiker will always have more trails than mtn bikers. Wilderness, national parks etc.

Then I found out that Horses were allowed. I was mad, but held my cool

We all know that horses will cause more damage than anything. Turning around a horse will impact things other than the trail.

I left it with:

I feel that the Golden city council has extreme prejudice against mtn bikers, that's sad. I will attend the Open space advisory meeting tomorrow night to let them know that not all of golden feels that way. I also told her that since Golden was on the prejudice route, that they should only open up the trails to black people. She, of course, was appauled; I followed up with "now you know how I feel".

fly rider

Chimp
Mar 31, 2005
broomfield
This is the Golden City Councils recommendation to Open Space. Open Space is not under any legal requirement to institute recommendations made by the Golden City Council. I have heard, but can not confirm, that the City of Golden is pursuing ways to annex N. Table from Open Space. If that happens, then they can do what they want. Until then, Open Space will continue to work with the user groups to come up with a Park Management Plan for N. Table.

Here is a politician who knows what's up. Richard Walton is a Councillor (lawyer? council member?) for the District of North Vancouver and a Mayorial canidate. Check out what he is proposing. http://www.nsmb.com/community/walton_cluster.php

Where is our Richard Walton? Why is it so hard to see what a great idea this is? Golden City Council should be focussing on ways to bring more bikers and bike companies to their town, instead of finding ways discriminate against a large segment of thier own population and hamstring our struggling local economy. Does any one here doubt, that if the city of Golden and JeffCo Open Space, seriously got behind the sport of mountain biking, in the way that Councillor Walton is proposing to do in N. Van, that it would not only help the local cycling industry, but the economy, in the front range, as a whole? How many jobs left when Shwinn closed up shop in Boulder? How many bike shops have gone out of business in the last five years?

Colorado has one of the lowest obesity rates in the country, mainly because our populace live active lives. People move here from all over the country to participate in our outdoor activities. Local and National government is calling for communities to encourage kids to get outside and exercise. Isn't it time for our political representatives to start reflecting the wishes of their constituants?

Sorry to rant, it just seems so obious.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SkaredShtles said:
How much clout does Golden have over what happens at JeffCo Open Space parks? I mean, Jefferson County is a *LOT* bigger than just Golden. Hopefully they don't have too much influence. :mad:
You're right. Golden has about 16,000 people IN the city limits of Golden. Probably 7k if you consider only the core golden area. I hope the bigger communities (Lakewood, Littleton, Arvada) don't agree with Golden's attitude. I have a feeling Golden is becoming "golden pond"... i.e. Old people that hate young people.

Logchucker

Chimp
Sep 1, 2005
Screw That, Me and most my friends hit that for fun after school at Mines and they never tell us anything. Forget them

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Logchucker said:
Screw That, Me and most my friends hit that for fun after school at Mines and they never tell us anything. Forget them
hmm, do I know you? I'm at mines and the dh/cycling club pres. Rally all you want when it's clear, but mind the hikers bud - this could be bad news . . .

Logchucker

Chimp
Sep 1, 2005
Probably don't know me, I just got into biking at the end of this summer though I am friends with a guy or twoon the cycling team

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
It is obvious that Jeffco does recognize the DH/shuttlers. Hikers are complaining about the 'darth vadar' DH people. Call'em what they want, but bikers are being watched.... closely.

Have fun on N table, but please don't make any new trails. Jeffco will be posting signage to direct people on the correct trails on top. As for all new trails, please don't make any new ones, or go down anything that doesn't look like an already established trail. All riding on Double track/roads are okay.