Quantcast

Golden Gate Bridge in the fog

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Took these last week when I was in SF for a business trip. I think I like the B&W version better.

Got no clear sightings for the "classic" shots but I can't say I'm disappointed - I like the foggy version.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's weird how much shadow detail the B&W conversion lost. I just worked up another version because I didn't like the giant black mass of the hill, and saving it as JPG from Photoshop lost all the detail again. It's not a limitation of the JPG format because my screenshot out of Photoshop, saved as JPG, looks fine:

What do you guys think of having a little more detail in the hill?

I haven't done much B&W work but sheesh, the screenshot out of PS6 looks completely different from the saved JPG file. WTF?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
It's weird how much shadow detail the B&W conversion lost.
How do you convert to B&W? Try to split the original into three color channels and look at the red one. It will have by far the most light and details. Alternatively, try to convert it to B&W through a yellow filter.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No, it's not that I'm losing the detail during the conversion. It's lost during the save process.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well sure, but if that were the case, why is the detail being retained during a print-screen of the image and then conversion to JPG? That's also a conversion to 8-bit.

Harumpf.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
First thing I thought was... where's the fog?! This would count as a "clear" night on the bridge ;)

Last edited:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
What do you guys think of having a little more detail in the hill?
Caveat: Pictures have a lot of noise after being uploaded to Ridemonkey, compared to how they look on my monitor in Lightroom. :disgust1:

I think having more detail in the hill makes the picture(s) better. Fine line between a little detail and too much, which would draw your eye away from the bridge itself:

Attachments

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I actually prefer the first B&W rendering. I saw that and thought it looked like a nice, old school looking picture. The second with the hillside brought about a bit is kinda meh. Took too much of my attention away from the bridge. Cool shot either way though!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I actually prefer the first B&W rendering. I saw that and thought it looked like a nice, old school looking picture. The second with the hillside brought about a bit is kinda meh. Took too much of my attention away from the bridge. Cool shot either way though!
I agree, the more I look at the second shot, the less I like it.