Quantcast

Golf; a good walk spoiled... and a huge waste of time?!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I was just getting into golf when I got hooked on MTB. I've golfed like four times since (seven years or so).

I figured riding would be cheaper since I didn't have to pay $50-$75 each time I did it. :rolleyes: I could have golfed once a week for the last seven years and I still would have spent more on the MTB hobby.

Golfing in company outings is fun. Beats the hell out of being in the office.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Who the **** cares?
i fugured you would welcome this bit of news.. less crowded single track.

The disappearance of golfers over the past several years is part of a broader decline in outdoor activities — including tennis, swimming, hiking, biking and downhill skiing — according to a number of academic and recreation industry studies.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The disappearance of golfers over the past several years is part of a broader decline in outdoor activities — including tennis, swimming, hiking, biking and downhill skiing — according to a number of academic and recreation industry studies.
They obviously haven't seen the friggin lift lines at Mt Snow.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Every golfer I've ever met was a fat asshole.

This means there are more fat assholes on bikes now.

:(

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Here's one I have never seen before, until last week...I'm in Long Island visiting the in-laws and got out for a ride on a very wet but warm Monday (this past week). The local trails I'm riding run along a golf course that is closed due to the wetness. Anyway, I finish up my ride and some schmantsy fancy dude from NJ pulls up next to me at the trailhead, looking nervous. I load my bike on the roof and see him pop up the trailhead with his GOLF CLUBS. He then hops the fence onto the course!

Bootleg golf!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I do. Ever since they bulldozed the singletrack near my house for a bull$hit goof course. Plus they've had their eye on some of the most beautiful state parks in Virginia. :disgust1:
If your state is stupid enough to sell off its parks to developers...don't blame golf, blame greedy legislators and developers.
Actually, blame whoever you want, I dont care. I was just saying that I dont care about the articles insinuation that fat lazy golfers are now even too fat and lazy to get out and play golf. Or blaming their wives and families or whatever.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I actually play (I needed PE credits in school) and enjoy it. It's an expensive habit, so I play crappy public courses and often bring my own beer.

It makes for a nice walk, though.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Golf is like bowling. The more I golf, the better I drink. The more I drink, the better I golf. Or was it the other way around? The problem isnt golf, its golfers.
My buddy and I used to play neighborhood golf. Whacking balls (Whack and balls in the same sentence! Bonus points!) across lawns and parkways of our sh*tty little town. Was great, especially when you put one into a window, off some siding or under a car or truck. Plus, it was free...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Played from when I was very little and stopped when I developed the fine test for girls and Barcardi. Biking is just so much more fun. Golf is great for business meeting.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Golfing while drinking is one of my favorite sports...
About 11 am at an undisclosed location in Palm Springs a few years ago, I had a beautiful nine iron approach into the 15th green. However, the ball just kept on going, and rattled off a balcony of a house 40 yards behind the pin.

Turns out I had grabbed a six iron instead. Thank God Betty Ford was just around the corner...

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
i didnt know so many people hated golf/golfers......I golf quite a bit.....

its one good way to be outside in a usually beautiful setting (a golf course)....be with friends (i see golf as a primarily social sport, not so much competitive).....while it can be expensive, it definitely doesn't have to be......just dont let your suckiness get to you and it can be a great time! :banana::thumb:

9 holes and a good cigar, is one of life's simple pleasures.....:cheers: