Quantcast

Golf may not be so bad after all!..

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
The PGA tour has made English it's official language, and is actually giving an English test to all of the golf monkeys. Those unable to speak English will not be allowed to play in their tourney.
Speak English or GTFO.
hehe.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Why don't they impose that rule at establishments that matter? Ya know.....where audible interactions between people take place, such as restaurants, retail stores, etc.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
If that rule ever spreads around, does that mean that you guys will have to learn spanish in your old age?

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
Why don't they impose that rule at establishments that matter? Ya know.....where audible interactions between people take place, such as restaurants, retail stores, etc.
or hospitals...:disgust:

You people do realize that 'minorities' are supposed to exceed the present majority population in the not too distant future. Might want to get used to being in multilingual nation. *gasp* how un-American!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/15/population.race

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The PGA tour has made English it's official language, and is actually giving an English test to all of the golf monkeys. Those unable to speak English will not be allowed to play in their tourney.
Speak English or GTFO.
hehe.
If you are indeed Polish in background and not just a garden variety racist, I guess I have to regret that 70 years ago the Nazis stopped short with your ancestors.

I also need to point out that you are factually wrong. It's not the PGA tour, but rather the LPGA tour that has made this rule. What's the difference, you ask? The players on the PGA tour generally have penises, and on the LPGA tour vagina dominates the crotch area. A subtle difference you may not be aware of...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The rule is for caddies or for actual golfers?

I always look to the golf establishment for progressive thinking on race and culture.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I also need to point out that you are factually wrong. It's not the PGA tour, but rather the LPGA tour that has made this rule. What's the difference, you ask? The players on the PGA tour generally have penises, and on the LPGA tour vagina dominates the crotch area. A subtle difference you may not be aware of...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
or hospitals...:disgust:

You people do realize that 'minorities' are supposed to exceed the present majority population in the not too distant future. Might want to get used to being in multilingual nation. *gasp* how un-American!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/15/population.race
Why not make the people coming to this country learn English? When immigration from Ireland, Italy, Poland, etc, etc was huge in the early 1900s, people learned the language because they knew it's what they needed to do to be a functioning part of society.

People that believe everyone in the US needs to learn Spanish need to get their heads checked. Call me arrogant if you will.

PS - in that link, it says white Americans will make up about 46% of the population by 2050. The remaining 54% is split amongst black, Asian, Hispanic and Native American......I don't know about you, but I would consider that as white Americans still being the majority as far as specific ethnicities go (meaning X vs Y vs Z, rather than whites vs everyone else)

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
If you are indeed Polish in background and not just a garden variety racist, I guess I have to regret that 70 years ago the Nazis stopped short with your ancestors.
why is he the racist? it's the lpga which is haunted by the up & coming asian tsunami. either that or the lexicon of golf words was becoming too vast to manage.

in addition to this latest ruling, there should at least be an effort for all players to assume a scottish accent

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
PS - in that link, it says white Americans will make up about 46% of the population by 2050. The remaining 54% is split amongst black, Asian, Hispanic and Native American......I don't know about you, but I would consider that as white Americans still being the majority as far as specific ethnicities go (meaning X vs Y vs Z, rather than whites vs everyone else)
I'm aware of that. Though percentage of blacks is predicted to remain stable. The point is that the days of 'white American' are numbered, and I think a better awareness is needed, as opposed to simply banning people for not speaking the native language. It's important to learn the native language of a nation, but America is far too rooted in its monoliguistic attitude. Most other countries do a far better job of teaching their youth foreign languages.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
What I'm saying is we should focus more on "punishing" those who can't speak English rather than focusing on "punishing" those who can't speak Spanish. Make sense?

That said, I took Spanish for 6 years in school, and I would say with a bit of brushing up I could get by in a Spanish-speaking setting.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Why not make the people coming to this country learn English? When immigration from Ireland, Italy, Poland, etc, etc was huge in the early 1900s, people learned the language because they knew it's what they needed to do to be a functioning part of society.

People that believe everyone in the US needs to learn Spanish need to get their heads checked. Call me arrogant if you will.

Yeah but the remaining 54% of people will be young, while the average white person will be hmmmm old as McCain.

Therefore those of you who don't speak spanish yet better start learning now so your nursing staff will understand you :biggrin:

Last edited:

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
What I'm saying is we should focus more on "punishing" those who can't speak English rather than focusing on "punishing" those who can't speak Spanish. Make sense?

That said, I took Spanish for 6 years in school, and I would say with a bit of brushing up I could get by in a Spanish-speaking setting.

But how is it punishment. As it stands right now I can hold better jobs because I can speak more than one language. To a certain extent anyone who does not learn the native language will be 'punished' as their jobs will be limited, but that definitely doesn't mean you set up road blocks for them.

$tinkle said:
so why not go back before the cherokees?
If I recall correctly you’re a Christian*. Aren't you charged with going out into the world and preaching the gospel? Wouldn't that be a bit easier knowing a bit of another language, even in America? *If you’re not, well than disregard that.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I used " " around punishment because I can't find a better term. An example:

Should an adult who speaks very poor English and fluent Spanish be allowed to teach in an elementary school in the US? Would you want your child's education risked because of a language barrier?*

*This is an extreme example, but I think it conveys what I'm saying. If you live in the US, you should not have to be inconvenienced for not speaking another language. Where do we draw the line between the US needed to be more open and accepting to other cultures, and setting standards to ensure equal opportunities/quality of living and carrying out daily activities?

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
I used " " around punishment because I can't find a better term. An example:

Should an adult who speaks very poor English and fluent Spanish be allowed to teach in an elementary school in the US? Would you want your child's education risked because of a language barrier?*

*This is an extreme example, but I think it conveys what I'm saying. If you live in the US, you should not have to be inconvenienced for not speaking another language. Where do we draw the line between the US needed to be more open and accepting to other cultures, and setting standards to ensure equal opportunities/quality of living and carrying out daily activities?
I dunno if extreme examples help here. Have you seen the standardized tests teachers have to take before they can teach? As I've stated before somone who does not speak the native language will be limited in job placement. Even in foregin countries alot of bussiness if conducted in English, so if you can't speak it, than yeah that's going to hurt your ability to get higher profile jobs. But my issue is that America seems set on setting up road blocks on simple things like medical attention, financial assistance, etc etc. Oh yeah and golf...not sure why you'd wanny play anyways though.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
If I recall correctly you’re a Christian*. Aren't you charged with going out into the world and preaching the gospel? Wouldn't that be a bit easier knowing a bit of another language, even in America? *If you’re not, well than disregard that.
the great commission is to go & make disciples, which means create relationships & earn the right to be heard. i'm not sure how that plays into the lpga rulebook of official language. i hope you're not trying to be manipulative

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
the great commission is to go & make disciples, which means create relationships & earn the right to be heard. i'm not sure how that plays into the lpga rulebook of official language. i hope you're not trying to be manipulative
No I'm not trying to be manipulative, I'm just confused on your stance considering 'the great commission’ Relationships are contingent upon communication. This is something the church has actually done quite well, as it's common for larger churches to do multiple services in different languages.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
This is something the church has actually done quite well, as it's common for larger churches to do multiple services in different languages.
Being able to speak the native language comes in quite handy when the boy is pulling up his size 6x underpants and you need to remind him that if he tells anyone what just happened he's going to burn in hell for eternity.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The same reactionist dip****s have freaked out every 25 years with each new wave of immigrants, and guess what? EVERY TIME the immigrants are highly varied in their ability to adapt to English, and some of them never learn a word, relying on their friends and families or societal affordances to get by. And EVERY TIME their kids learn English and the problem goes away, just in time for the next wave of immigrants to arrive and freak out some immigrant's great-grandkids who will **** the bed about how these damn immigrants aren't learning English.

Welcome to xenophobia, population you (and 20 million other short-sighted, bigoted, racist dumb****s)

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Welcome to xenophobia, population you (and 20 million other short-sighted, bigoted, racist dumb****s)
apparently, it needs repeating: "the problem isn't immigrants, it's illegal immigrants"

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
apparently, it needs repeating: "the problem isn't immigrants, it's illegal immigrants"
Word to that.

"Oh hai! I'm going to not pay any taxes and still receive all the benefits you tax-paying US citizens receive, because you'll pay for mine! Oh also......can you plz make sure you speak Spanish when I come to the ER? Thx!"

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007

Uh, actually most of my Grandfather's family was wiped out by Hitler. Try again..

I have No problem with any people of other races, but if someone comes into the US they should be able to speak & understand at least Some English. If I travel to another land, I'm to respect THIER culture. It's not up to them to have to change on my account. The same should hold true here with them.
Go to France without speaking the language & see how accomidating they are to you..

I could care less if I left out an "L". Golf does suck.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Different issue, and I agree it's a problem, though I don't know if we agree on the solution. Irregardlessably, that is not the topic of this thread. The topic of this thread is that all legal immigrants (since you can't require immigrants that are already illegal to do anything) should be required to learn English.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I have No problem with any people of other races, but if someone comes into the US they should be able to speak & understand at least Some English.
Right, you have no problem with someone who's different from you as long as they speak and act just like you. Makes perfect sense.

If I travel to another land, I'm to respect THIER culture. It's not up to them to have to change on my account.
If you travel to another land, you're on ****ing vacation you dip****. You're not a 50 year old uneducated single parent refugee that is stuck digging ditches and mopping floors two shifts a day just to send your three kids to public school so they can learn english, and therefore can't make it to night classes yourself.

Do you KNOW any recent immigrants? I think you would be awfully impressed with the lengths they go to to "respect" american culture. A culture I should point out is incredibly diverse thanks to the many immigrants we have been lucky to receive since our birth as a nation.

edit: it's "couldN'T care less."

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
The topic of this thread is that all legal immigrants (since you can't require immigrants that are already illegal to do anything) should be required to learn English.
and here i thought the topic was the lpga imposing an english proficiency requirement from its members, which appears to target about a dozen asians, and not the greater number of grounds-keepers, who are not subject to this policy

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
and here i thought the topic was the lpga imposing an english proficiency requirement from its members, which appears to target about a dozen asians, and not the greater number of grounds-keepers, who are not subject to this policy
I believe the (implicit) argument was put forth that we should all (people, organizations, nation) follow the example of the LPGA in making English proficiency a requirement (however vague that idea may be for varying situations). If that was not the poster's intent, I'll withdraw my statement.

edit: I'll bend a little bit; the argument was that we should remove all affordances for non-English speakers thus forcing them to learn English or die (last part added by me). Which is in effect forcing them to all learn English.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
If you travel to another land, you're on ****ing vacation you dip****. You're not a 50 year old uneducated single parent refugee [ <-- wtf?? ] that is stuck digging ditches and mopping floors two shifts a day just to send your three kids to public school so they can learn english, and therefore can't make it to night classes yourself.
but if he did it, i'm relatively confident it would be done using a passport & going through customs
Do you KNOW any recent immigrants? I think you would be awfully impressed with the lengths they go to to "respect" american culture.
if i didn't want to get deported for illegal immigration, i'd lay low & assimilate, too

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i do find it funny a jock organization is putting forth an academic requirement for competition. how would that fly in the nba/nfl?

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Right, you have no problem with someone who's different from you as long as they speak and act just like you. Makes perfect sense.

Speaking the language of the country you are visiting or residing in is the responsability of You. Not the country you are visiting. It has nothing to do withy "being like me"... The Same rule applies to Me, If I go somewhere else. Make sense to you yet, Dip****?

If you travel to another land, you're on ****ing vacation you dip****. You're not a 50 year old uneducated single parent refugee that is stuck digging ditches and mopping floors two shifts a day just to send your three kids to public school so they can learn english, and therefore can't make it to night classes yourself.

Do you KNOW any recent immigrants? I think you would be awfully impressed with the lengths they go to to "respect" american culture. A culture I should point out is incredibly diverse thanks to the many immigrants we have been lucky to receive since our birth as a nation.

edit: it's "couldN'T care less."
Whether I was a refugee, Illegal Immigrant, visiting, or in the army taking the place over I'd learn the language of the people that live there.
It's called accountability.
No, I'm a 40 year old American citizen that's been paying taxes into the system since I was 18 years old, & I'm sick of dialing "1 for English" every time I try to call somewhere. I don't bust my ass & pay my taxes so that the same Illegals that steal work from citizens can send their kids to public schools. Save the bleeding heart bull**** for someone who cares.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
i do find it funny a jock organization is putting forth an academic requirement for competition. how would that fly in the nba/nfl?
They're a business. An enterprise. I would venture a guess that requiring their members/competitors to have at least a tertiary knowledge of the English language is due to their marketing department.

I mean look at the NBA/NFL...someone wins MVP or a superbowl or something, and you get Dayrell Addkinsonn in front of a camera and he can barely mangle together cliches let alone full on, comprehensible sentences.

I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, I'm just sayin'.

Every single F1 race or MotoGP event I've watched, during the post race interview, they either a.) have translators for the different countries broadcast stations or b.) the racers themselves speak 2-4 languages.

Here in Seattle, even our baseball team has freakin' translators. Ichiro, even though he speaks damn near impeccable English, has a translator at every press conference.

Peeps be trippin'.