Quantcast

Golgi was right, or 29'er's are legit...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
He was right on one aspect, they are great to wookie tall folks such as myself. I picked up an XL Yeti Big Top from Go-Ride a few weeks back. It was part of the demo fleet so I expected it to be reasonably beat, but it was in amazing condition. Top props to Go-Ride for getting the bike out asap and sorting the small issues I had in a timely manner.

I've been pretty busy for the last few weeks, so I wasn't able to get the bike fully built and out for a ride until this weekend. I did a quick 13 mile single track ride on Saturday as my first ride, with exception of a 1min around the parking lot to confirm my saddle adjustment. Despite it being 31* when I got to the trailhead and even colder along the creek, it was a great ride. Had the chance to get crazy and loose on brown ice, and see an massive buck elk about 45ft from the trail. But onto the bike...

29'er hype and commentary:

1) It rolls over things more easily
Does it role over terrain more easily? I'm not sure. It's the first time I have been on a hardtail in a long time, so I can't give a clear yes/no.

Does it roll over things better than my 575 with a 36 up front? While climbing, yes. Descending, not sure. I was cranking until I got into the super techy rock sections, where I proceeded to nut myself excessively. Like any other hardtail, it gets sketchy at speed in the super rocky, but it was fast and smooth on the super buff single track.

2) They don't turn well
The ground had a good amount of 'brown ice' (dust covered ice), so I wasn't feeling my luck to keep pushing the corners. I did crank out a few hard corners and it felt great. I am running Schwalbe Racing Ralph's, which were shockingly good considering their profile. I also think a lot of the handling prowess is a direct response to the relatively slack angles that Yeti set it up with.

3) There are no good tires.
I want a little bit of meat. The Racing Ralph's are shockingly nice, but I do prefer a meatier tire.

4) Anybody can ride a 29'er.
This I will argue. Small women ride 650cc road wheels for a reason. An average size person can and should ride a 26" for a reason. Wookie/Yeti tall people should ride 29'ers. For the first time in a very long time, the bike felt to scale for me. I haven't ridden my 575 since my Big Top ride, but just having a bike that scales for me felt great (see below). I guess if you think it to scale, then I need a 32" to get the same effect as a little person on a 29'er.

*for context that's an XL 575*

And pics of the bike:

And I realize the rear wheel is not attached, I was waiting for the axle to arrive.

Bike spec:
Stock Enduro spec with Sram X9 dual-ring crank

Changed:
Thomson post I had lying around.

Changes to be made:
Easton Carbon Bars
Thomson Stem
XT triple ring crank (replacing X9 dual ring)
Swap X9 for X0 on 575
Setup Stan's tubeless

Those bits for the most part are fit, so out of the box it's a dang good setup.

*if anybody wants to swap a good conditition pair of XT triple ring cranks for X9 dual ring, pm me.*

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Seriously? All you can come up with is "bigger bikes fit taller people better," and not some messianic horsecrap about how this current fad beats all previous fads?
29ers make a ton of sense for tall people, but I think "they" are going to sneak into your house one night and smother you with their throat-beards and a Schwalbe tire if you don't get on the kool-aid train and begin preaching their world-changing, transcendental superiority for all people at all times.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I've been helping my Dad shop for a 29er. Personally, I have no interest in them, but my Dad is 73 and has severely impaired vision. So for him the larger wheels, his lack of trail skills, and amazing roadie fitness makes sense.

So far he's really digging the Santa Cruz Tallboy.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Seriously? All you can come up with is "bigger bikes fit taller people better," and not some messianic horsecrap about how this current fad beats all previous fads?
29ers make a ton of sense for tall people, but I think "they" are going to sneak into your house one night and smother you with their throat-beards and a Schwalbe tire if you don't get on the kool-aid train and begin preaching their world-changing, transcendental superiority for all people at all times.

Yeah, I'd buy a bike from this guy, sure...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Yeah, I'd buy a bike from this guy, sure...
You know that guys is hiding a huge adams apple or something, or maybe he has a neck like a pencil?

BTW I'm 6'... I wouldn't classify that as massively tall. But I agree with the above... smaller riders will probably like a 26" bike better. 29ers below 17" just seem forced.

Santa Cruz Tallboy.
Lots of those around here. People seem to love them... kinda pricey though for an out of the box frame.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I need to try one and STFU. A buddy of mine (who is short) has a nice XC 29er and says that for my 6'4" lanky build, it would be perfect.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I need to try one and STFU. A buddy of mine (who is short) has a nice XC 29er and says that for my 6'4" lanky build, it would be perfect.
You would love it. There is something about it that just feels right.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
If you are looking for XO parts I have a pair of shifters 11-32 cassette and rear derailleur.

Never rode the big top, actually kind of funny I never owned one, but I did like the Lynskey Pro29 I had.

Nobby Nic comes in a 2.35 size and is a pretty sweet high traction tire.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I'm on my second season riding a 29er stumpjumper. I actually rode it at the local DH trails a few times this year. I love it. I think it's funny how they're bashed so hard still. I've got mine set up a little less XC. I've got a burly front tire made by WTB (can't remember the name and i'm too lazy to go check) 2.5 wide, 30" bars, 50mm DH stem, and a gravity dropper. I'll say the bigger wheels definitely make some parts of the trail easier, but just because it's easier doesn't mean I'm not getting faster and pushing harder. It's like having a DH bike. Just because all of that extra suspension is there, do you quit trying to be a better, faster rider? Nah. You just take the abilities of the different bike and you push the limits and you keep getting better.