Quantcast

gonads of such weight....there is no element on the periodic table.....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It has also been pointed out that Captain Kirk did this back in Star Trek V.

Here's me doing pretty much the same thing.
highres_410054682ss.jpg

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
My unroped solo climbing ended in the mid 70s in Yosemite. I was a couple of hundred feet up when a hold broke and I peeled off the face. I managed to grab and hold onto a ledge after only dropping 20' It took about twenty minutes for me to get my shit back together enough to climb back through that section and make it to the top. I never climbed without ropes and pro ever again..

Mad props for doing what he did. Lets hope he doesn't die too young

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My unroped solo climbing ended in the mid 70s in Yosemite. I was a couple of hundred feet up when a hold broke and I peeled of the face. I managed to grab and old onto a ledge after only dropping 20' It took about twenty minutes for me to get my shit back together enough to climb back through that section and make it to the top. I never climbed without ropes and pro ever again..

Mad props for doing what he did. Lets hope he doesn't die too young
Yeah, being serious here, I'm not impressed at all by this, because if someone is a good technical climber, they can climb difficult routes, pioneer new routes, achieve climbs that no one else has, all without free-soloing. I think there are some issues of mental health and in some of these guys, mental development, where they don't realize how stupid it really is. I can't see the reward being worth the risk. It's an impressive technical achievement, but he could also take that skill and climb something else that has been deemed "unclimbable", except do it with protection and ropes.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Yeah, being serious here, I'm not impressed at all by this, because if someone is a good technical climber, they can climb difficult routes, pioneer new routes, achieve climbs that no one else has, all without free-soloing. I think there are some issues of mental health and in some of these guys, mental development, where they don't realize how stupid it really is. I can't see the reward being worth the risk. It's an impressive technical achievement, but he could also take that skill and climb something else that has been deemed "unclimbable", except do it with protection and ropes.
true story.
adding risk for the sake of risk, without any additional technical challenge is retarded.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
true story.
adding risk for the sake of risk, without any additional technical challenge is retarded.
I would argue removing all safety measures makes it a LOT more challenging. Physically, maybe not, but mentally absolutely.

Analogy most of us could relate to: Ride your bike 40ft on a painted line on the street. Ride your bike 40ft on a 2" x 4" 20ft in the air.

Technical challenge is a bit different, eh?

Last edited:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Because glorifying mass murder tools is the exact same thing as a guy climbing a mountain without a rope?

Im sure he might influence at least one person to go free climb the hill in their back yard and sprain an ankle which is the exact same thing as 5 dead in the Orlando shooting yesterday...
Just removing the safety measures!

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Yeah. I mean, why in the world would you participate in a sport where you risk serious injury or death? And all he gets out of it is to live a life of traveling around the world climbing with his friends. It just seems stupid to me.

Until I see it barefoot without chalk....
My climbing buddies and I do this on occasion on routes we have dialed. No rope. No chalk. No shoes.

We call it "no compromises".

IMGP0049.jpg

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Yeah. I mean, why in the world would you participate in a sport where you risk serious injury or death? And all he gets out of it is to live a life of traveling around the world climbing with his friends. It just seems stupid to me.

My climbing buddies and I do this on occasion on routes we have dialed. No rope. No chalk. No shoes.

View attachment 125540
You must be retarted.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

View attachment 125540
:rolleyes:
Come on man. Nobody is knocking him, our how he lives. He's the absolute best in his realm. Risking serious injury (which many of us do on the regular) is not risking certain death (what he's doing). I'm all for him climbing anything whatever way he wants to. Like I said, respect. But, he's doing it with the intentional adder of having zero room for error. I'm sure that makes it exciting for him, I get that, but I don't get that.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
That is one thing I appreciate about mountain biking. Helmets are just the culture and you're a dumbass to not wear one.
Had an unskilled friend refuse to wear once, and it was the strangest thing...

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
You must be retarted.
I've been called something similar on occasion.

:rolleyes:
Come on man. Nobody is knocking him, our how he lives. He's the absolute best in his realm. Risking serious injury (which many of us do on the regular) is not risking certain death (what he's doing). I'm all for him climbing anything whatever way he wants to. Like I said, respect. But, he's doing it with the intentional adder of having zero room for error. I'm sure that makes it exciting for him, I get that, but I don't get that.
I just wanted to point out the fact that we are on a message board dedicated to hauling ass through the woods with only a little plastic to protect ourselves. I find it interesting that people on here would get judgy over the level of risk athletes accept. Unless you have done a lot of climbing yourself it's hard to understand free soloing. It looks so "extreme" but at a certain level it isn't. If you have the moves dialed, have practiced the route and have confidence in yourself it is not that dangerous because the chances of something going wrong are pretty slim. Of course that said, I could never imagine soloing something that vertical and sustained because I'm not a god among men, and if I solo long routes I take some gear in case I get tired or scared. But then again I could never imagine doing this either.

I still think the most dangerous thing I do is drive down a highway with no divider. All it takes is some stupid asshole falling asleep or dropping his coffee and I could be done. We accept that sort of risk without thinking but when someone is confident in their skills and does something that looks dangerous to us we get on our high horses.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
View attachment 125540
You already risk death climbing. I see free-solo akin to showing up at the DH park with your DH bike and no armor or helmet, then going and rocking the hardest trails as fast and as hard as you can, setting record times. Sure, you can do it, but it doesn't serve any useful purpose and it's downright stupid. Wearing a helmet and some pads, you can STILL always find more challenging trails to ride. I'm sure this guy isn't maxed out on routes and problems, there's always something harder. I have more respect for people that put their talent to use wisely.

Last edited:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
You already risk death climbing. I see free-solo akin to showing up at the DH park with your DH bike and no armor or helmet, then going and rocking the hardest trails as fast and as hard as you can, setting record times. Sure, you can do it, but it doesn't serve any useful purpose and it's downright stupid. Wearing a helmet and some pads, you can STILL always find more challenging trails to ride. I'm sure this guy isn't maxed out on routes and problems, there's always something harder. I have more respect for people that put their talent to use wisely.
This is exactly what your avarage couch patato says about downhillers.
Riding a normal bike is stupid enough but jumping off cliffs is downright stupid.

Were all retarded to someone.