Quantcast

gonna brag on my girl...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Basically, she hasn't ridden since she was a child. We bought a cruiser bike a month ago. Last week we did our longest ride of 13 miles, she stayed on the sidewalk as much as possible, but said it wasn't too long and started asking me questions about a century ride someday :thumb:

Today, we did another 12-13 mile ride and she stayed in the street as much as possible. I'm posting here cuz I think only roadies can really appreciate the decision -- conscious or not -- to choose to ride in traffic verses sidewalk. So I'm one happy guy.

Just wanted to share with anyone who might understand :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Did she huck the curb when transfering from the sidewalk to the road?

good for her though. keep her interested in the century. Introduce her to dirt.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Westy said:
Did she huck the curb when transfering from the sidewalk to the road
Yes she did! A couple times at a good speed. She also rode hands free a couple of times and as you know, that's kind of an important skill for long rode rides... eating, stretching, changing gear.

Yes, you're right, gotta do some dirt too, but not too much, I'd rather she become a roadie than a mtb'er. Next weekend, we'll ride the dirt road up the canyon to the damn.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Ehy, I know that area. My (cool) ex-chic took me up there to walk around this past fall. I think my hybird/cross/XC race bike will be killer for that road (700c x 30mm cross tire in a HT frame). I think for beginners, that's a very nice ride to break them into dirt. From what I can see, it's relatively flat and no loose crap all over the road.

LO, you're w/ a different chic then the one who went on the ride w/ Jersey chic, you, and I?
We need to get together when I get out of classes this summer for some milage. I've been so clown-hammered on studying that I haven't been riding at all, not even rollers. The De Rosa has triple now so I can try for the more hellish climbs (July 3rd - Rocky Mtn Nat. Park...?)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
yeah, different chick, but this one's a keeper!

You're a crazy man with this schooling stuff, I'm proud of you.

You know me, I love riding in traffic, but Trail Ridge Road in RMNP on Independence Day Weekend? I'm not that crazy :eek: It happens rarely, but sometimes, the Park cleans the road the weekend before it opens... clean -and- closed road at 11,000 feet, awesome!

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Yeah, I was told the day before the park officially opens each year, they clean the road and close it to motor traffic and let th bikers have it for a day. This is an annual thing from what I know...
So, it's in July and I get out of classes mid May... 1.5 months or so to get in shape w/ Lookout Mtn in my backyard.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
Hey Opie, sounds like good news on the gf front. Don't drop her on any climbs whatever you do. I see that all the time... guys riding multiple lengths in front of their girlfriends with the latter typically having a distressed look on their face. Hope you've been well amigo.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Hey, my Jew-Bro! How you been?

Yeah, I never leave her behind and I typically ride behind her and in towards traffic to keep the cars from buzzing her :)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
LO, I don't want to be a buzzkill but you might want to also factor in the line of sight thing. If you're riding behind her and more in the traffic, you might be in the line of sight of drivers and her. If one get's pissy about you being in the middle of the road (so to speak) and was to snap a turn right as they past you and didn't know she was there... Just a thought maing...

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
LordOpie said:
Hey, my Jew-Bro! How you been?
Doing well my friend. My 2006 mileage volume is way up so far and I'm getting myself ready for an opening double metric century in 5 weeks to start the Spring off. I was a bike marshall on the Amgen Tour of Cali and I'll be volunteering for both the Sea Otter and the Big Sur Marathon. Speaking of The Tribe... I'm reading 2 books on the confluence of Judiasm and Buddhism (That's Funny, You Don't Look Buddhist and The Jew In The Lotus). Makes me almost wanna retrieve back all the curses I heaped upon the rabbi way back during the Bar Mitvah days (I gave up 8th grade basketball to go thru that ordeal). Have some fun out there.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
If you think about getting her into mtb trails, I suggest the Rim Tours, fully supported ride (White Rim, Maze, etc.). A fully catered gig, and all you have to do is show up with a bike.

Both are easy. My wife and I are taking the Maze tour in October!

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
What does she want to do??you are obviously pushing into being a roadie. Cycling is about enjoyment......Unless you getting paid and it is still about enjoyment.