Quantcast

Gonna need a new fork, a little help?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I know, another one of those "well I need a new X, help me make a decision because I am a weak minded troll" threads. Sorry about that.

After three years of really good riding and giving as good as she got, I think my 06 888WC might be nearing the end of her days. I found a little scratch in the chrome coating on the left stanchion, right above the seal, which is generating a small leak. So maybe this is the old girl telling me its time for her retirement.

I'm a larger mammal at 5'10" and 210lbs. Yes, fat is another word you could use. I ride pretty hard, am more of a bulldozer than a light touch sort of rider, and as such I like something supple, but that can take the hits.

Any suggestions?

I've been kicking about the idea of a 40, but I remember there being some concern about the walls being thin on the stanchions as to hold down the weight. As such, they kinda liked to dent. But mind you, that was three years ago.

I haven't been hearing good things about the new 888's since they moved production out of Italy. Is this just e-racism? I know some guys who have had fork recalls, and that's a pain in the ass I don't need.

If it helps, this is going on the front of a Yeti 303 with the hope of getting two more years out of the frame/fork.

Thanks.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Dude, I weigh more than you... WTF?!

Get a 40. Mines been treating me well the last year of racing and riding. I ride things hard and its taken it very well.

Very happy with it. And its pretty.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Fat ass!

I've been running and riding my ears off to get down to 210. Like 30 miles of running a week. Its killing my soul, and none of my clothing fits.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If weight isn't a concern, then Avy.

Or, if you're patient (and have some spare change) get a 40 and the Avy cart once craig releases it.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Why not just get some new stanchions for the 888 if it's still working well? If you aren't going to be able to sell it for much, just get new bushings/seals/stanchions. The dampers in those are about impossible to F up. Those were great years for that fork.

The black stanchions are cheaper, but they don't have as smooth a finish on them. That also means they circulate oil to the seals/bushings a bit more too.

Also Craig may not even release a damper for the Fox 40 if their seals (or lack thereof) can't deal with an open bath system.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
might as well throw the dorado out there, the new alum. verison is going to be out soon and is very strong. the test numbers on the new alum one impressed everyone at the hayes group and things are looking very very good for the dorado. the new alum. verison is MSRP for 1760 right in the ball range of the top fox 40 and WC boxxer. i have riden the 08 fox 40 and thought it was amazing until i tested a prototype dorado in cali and did not want to give it back at the end of the weekend. Dont be surprised if you see more and more people running these dorados next year. the hayes group is under new ownership and they are on the right track and support everyone at the races, its really rad to see.

Dennis

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
might as well throw the dorado out there, the new alum. verison is going to be out soon and is very strong. the test numbers on the new alum one impressed everyone at the hayes group and things are looking very very good for the dorado. the new alum. verison is MSRP for 1760 right in the ball range of the top fox 40 and WC boxxer. i have riden the 08 fox 40 and thought it was amazing until i tested a prototype dorado in cali and did not want to give it back at the end of the weekend. Dont be surprised if you see more and more people running these dorados next year. the hayes group is under new ownership and they are on the right track and support everyone at the races, its really rad to see.

Dennis
I Secound That!!!!!!!:thumb:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Part of me wants to just rebuild her, but its starting to show its age. Maybe a rebuild will get me down the road, but its getting to be time for some updates on the bike. I need new cranks, brakes and a saddle at this point. Might as well go ahead and get the new fork, then either get the CCDB for the rear end, or a new DHX RC4.

And yes, down to 210. Had to get weighed at the doc's this morning, I am pretty happy with the loss. I just carry it all on my gunt.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
You can probably fix the stantion. Take some emory cloth and smooth the area thats scratched, if its really deep fill in the void with epoxy and sand it smooth. New seals, bushings and oil and you are good to go.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I am afraid to ask for a picture of what you look like now.

How much did you weigh at the first N* race this season?

Buy a 40. Seriously. You will b very happy with it.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I have a brand new 9.5x3 RC4 and a fox 40 RC2 that just came off the 303R. Bought another frame, it came today with the full stock build and I will not use any of the fox stuff.

Let me know if you are interested and we can talk prices.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Get the CCDB for the back end - they make the 303's feel REALLLLY good and stable. Revive the 888 a little bit, and pick up the Avy cart for it when it comes out later this year/winter. Put the money into something else.

40's are a cool chassis, but the weak little condom they use for a bladder is sketchy at best. The fork penis always worried me too with how low it was below the axle too.

Dorado's look promising. Really promising. But I still wouldn't guinea pig one.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I was maybe 225 at the first race, so about 15# ago.

I keep all of my weight in the gunt. There's nothing on my legs, shoulders or arms. Just this band of goo around the midsection too. Less of it, I saw my disco stick about a month ago just looking down without stretching out the leather, so that's a good sign.

Now I need to do more sit-ups.

I think the idea of trying to revive the fork is an interesting one. I might just buy a new leg. But part of me wants a new fork, I need to do my part for the economy.

Any larger brothers riding the 40? I've gotten some votes from you guys, so its a thought.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
how are you going to be the guninea pig for it? people have been riding the dorado for 2 years now...
Oh c'mon, you know perfectly well that releasing a product for public use is totally different than the attention/maintenance/prep/parts replacement that a team unit gets. There's always SOME detail that has to get ironed out.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Oh c'mon, you know perfectly well that releasing a product for public use is totally different than the attention/maintenance/prep/parts replacement that a team unit gets. There's always SOME detail that has to get ironed out.
alll of the internals on the new alum. dorado are the same that are in the carbon team verison dorados. are you saying they are going to use cheaper parts in the consumer verisons? if so thats not how the new hayes group is, they are fighting hard to make a come back in the bicycle industry, they have to give it all they have to come back on top and to get people to "trust" their product again.

also dont you think it would be cheaper for them to put good parts in their new products rather than cheap parts that they will later have to replace?

dennis

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
alll of the internals on the new alum. dorado are the same that are in the carbon team verison dorados. are you saying they are going to use cheaper parts in the consumer verisons? if so thats not how the new hayes group is, they are fighting hard to make a come back in the bicycle industry, they have to give it all they have to come back on top and to get people to "trust" their product again.
My point is that public products go through a lot more neglect and "stupid stuff" than a sponsored riders pre-production unit will go through.

also dont you think it would be cheaper for them to put good parts in their new products rather than cheap parts that they will later have to replace?

dennis
Why yes, I do think that! Hope they do too!

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river

dennis
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the 2010 Boxxer!

Not knocking the Dorado at all, it is just that all new products have a rough first year. Remember all the slag the Fox 40 got in its first year?

Nov 4, 2007
Bay Area
I'm right at 200lbs and run the 2009 40. Very happy with it. Great damping and very stiff. I run a Firm spring, 60ml of 10 weight in each leg (you can run an extra 10ml safely), 7 clicks low speed, and I think 7 or 8 high speed comp; can't recall rebound but it's fairly fast. Because there is so little oil, I find performance goes off after about 5-7 bike park days, but dropping the lowers and changing the oil is pretty simple and quick. I think this might be the biggest change coming off a marzocchi which seem to feel better for longer.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the 2010 Boxxer!

Not knocking the Dorado at all, it is just that all new products have a rough first year. Remember all the slag the Fox 40 got in its first year?
2010 will be the 3rd year of the come back of the dorado, so how it is gonna have a rough first year?

but its ok if you wanna hate and not gain those few extra seconds in your race run.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I might be the only one on the boat, but my vote is either an 06-09 boxxer or refurbing the 888. My boxxer is an excellent fork, I don't think they changed much with the new one besides using dry bushings (ha ha), and you can get an 09 for next to nothing since every racer boi wants the latest and greatest.

Otherwise, you can still find BOS carts for the 888 (call go-ride) and with a replacement stantion, that would be like a new fork.

If you really, really want a new fork, check out the 40. It's pretty stiff. I wouldn't worry about your weight, you can't pull the fat guy card at 210 lbs. I'm 197 and don't notice flex in the boxstar.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I might be the only one on the boat, but my vote is either an 06-09 boxxer or refurbing the 888. My boxxer is an excellent fork, I don't think they changed much with the new one besides using dry bushings (ha ha), and you can get an 09 for next to nothing since every racer boi wants the latest and greatest.

Otherwise, you can still find BOS carts for the 888 (call go-ride) and with a replacement stantion, that would be like a new fork.

If you really, really want a new fork, check out the 40. It's pretty stiff. I wouldn't worry about your weight, you can't pull the fat guy card at 210 lbs. I'm 197 and don't notice flex in the boxstar.
I believe Go-Ride is out of the BOS cartridges since I got the last 2 they had a while back.

The Dorado has NOT been "out" for 3 years. It has existed for 3 years maybe, but being available to be public, definitely not. By that count, the new Boxxer has been out for almost as long. And guess what, it STILL has problems!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Krispy or somebody had a set for 888s lying around. Not sure he still does, but he posted something about them within this summer.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
alll of the internals on the new alum. dorado are the same that are in the carbon team verison dorados. are you saying they are going to use cheaper parts in the consumer verisons?
Well, there is a big difference between prototype and production. Generally they aren't even made or assembled in the same place. They might be 1-offing all the machined parts at the Manitou R&D place for all the sponsored riders forks for the last 2 years. Then when they mass produce them, everything is made in some entirely different factory by entirely different people over in Taiwan on entirely different machine tools.

As an engineer who works on the R&D side of things I can tell you the stuff we work on is made and performs completely differently than the production equivalent.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I saw an old post/ad for them a month or so ago, and inquired -- NO MAS...
:think:
Muahahaha

"There's only two of these left in the world......g'damn....rare....very hard to find....and I..happen..to have.. BOTH of them!!"

I've always wanted to use that one. Actually a buddy of mine has the other one after Go-Ride so graciously sent me the second one after they had given me the slightly used original one on accident. Good on them. :thumb:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Well, there is a big difference between prototype and production. Generally they aren't even made or assembled in the same place. They might be 1-offing all the machined parts at the Manitou R&D place for all the sponsored riders forks for the last 2 years. Then when they mass produce them, everything is made in some entirely different factory by entirely different people over in Taiwan on entirely different machine tools.

As an engineer who works on the R&D side of things I can tell you the stuff we work on is made and performs completely differently than the production equivalent.

i dont want to go off topic on this thread but ill just say this.

Manitou has their own factory now and they make suspension for other companies. so everything is going to be made in the same place.

granted the dorado hasnt be aviable to the public for 2 years but it has been in testing for 2 years. they have gathered alot of useful information and have made changes where needed. the new alum dorado is gonna kill the market, manitou has it down and its looking very promiseing for them as a company produceing this fork.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
You're trying to give everyone a virtual guarantee that the fork is going to have a flawless first year. We know you get the stuff for free and you like it, but don't go around making senseless claims like that. If it does, great, but it remains to be seen.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
hey, cant win everyone over. but im just stating the truth, if you dont wanna buy a first year production one fine, wait till the 2nd year. :)

Dennis

carry on!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Honestly I've liked Manitou stuff, but thought they just continually fell short in production quality. I'd be REALLY interested in the Dorado if it were competitively stiff and had some sort of a proper damper. I'm just not going to trust the internet...

Actually I'd grab a used one and just throw in some new seals/bushings to check it out.