Quantcast

goo all around pedals

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
It's personal preference. Personally, I would find that setup to be pretty annoying. When I'm clipping in, I don't want to have to worry about which side of the pedal has the clip and which is flat. On the other hand, if your bike is all purpose, ie. off-road, tooling around town, and comutting, etc., then maybe having a flat on one side would be benificial.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by dirtgirl
Aren't there flat pedals with clips on both sides? If I remember, Tom's "spousal unit" has/had those on her bike and really liked them.
Oh yeah, I forgot about those.

Shimano M646

and Shimano M545

Plumbutt

Chimp
May 20, 2002
12th pitch bivwac!
Dude, I just went to clipless and set up the Time Carbon ATACs, which, has the clipin on both sides. I can't compare to the others since I never tried the one-sided ones, but........

The Time's rock. You don't have to worry which side is up for clip- ins. You just feel it and clip-it. They eat mud for breakfast and as far as clipless overall, they are great for up hills climbs. Even fast downhills they are cool since they let you stay clipped in and your feet dont bounce out.

I will say I have a had a little hard time getting used to clipless but I think this is common. My biggest issue was stopping or justs standing. Ya got to get the other side of your noggin to remember to clip out and not just pull back.

Later

matschgi

Chimp
Jun 12, 2002
AUT
I'd go for the clipless only, you really don't have to worry bout which side is up, and if you wanna use it for a short trip with regular shoes they do allright...

I have the SPDs and I like them,

later

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
i have ridden times and spds, i started with times and got really hurt because of a lack of tension changes, now the pedals work great but they were harsh to get in and out at first, i would go with shimano 545s in your situation

M

M.W.

I'd go with the Shimano DH SPDs 636s I think... I've had them forever and they rule.