Quantcast

good 29er for under $600

ihavezippers

Chimp
Jun 8, 2007
I know most of you guys spend more than $600 on your pedals, but for us poor, unfortunate souls, can a good 29er be purchased for under $600? I admit I am a noob to 29ers, and it appears atleast some people use the term to refer to road bikes too, so to clarify, this would be for a hardtail mtb.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Redline Monocog 29er - you can probably find one for closer to around $450.00 complete

Also look into the GT Peace 29er

The Raleigh SS 29er - is slightly more but you get disc brakes with it. I think those come in right around $750 or so.

So it is definitely doable.

And I'd venture to guess that the majority of 29er guys aren't the $600 pedal type either.

At least not the guys I know who ride em.

Cheers,

Mark

ihavezippers

Chimp
Jun 8, 2007
Forgive my noobness, but...

1. I notice none of these bikes have front suspension...? Is that an inherent feature of 29ers?

2. Aside from the wheels/tires, are components pretty much interchangeable with your ordinary mtb? For instance, I wouldn't have to get special "29er" shifters, brakes, forks, etc?

Thanks for your help..

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Forgive my noobness, but...

1. I notice none of these bikes have front suspension...? Is that an inherent feature of 29ers?

2. Aside from the wheels/tires, are components pretty much interchangeable with your ordinary mtb? For instance, I wouldn't have to get special "29er" shifters, brakes, forks, etc?

Thanks for your help..
At that price point you won't find a suspension fork. However with the bigger wheels and high volume tires you get a little bit of "cushion" with a Rigid fork.

Other than frame geometry, wheels and fork - everything else would be the same for a 29er as a 26er.

Also at your price point right now it would be hard to find a geared bike for that price.

nosamiam

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
Also at your price point right now it would be hard to find a geared bike for that price.
I'm a complete noob, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. I picked up a Motobecane 29er (SS, not geared) on Ebay from sportymama. I'm very happy with it so far, except that with its tall gearing, it goes downhill much better than uphill. I got it for $330. She's got tons of other bikes, including some nice-looking entry-level track bikes if you're into that. She also has susp-fork rides and full-suspensions as well at what appear to be really low prices: 50% of retail from what she claims. Even if these numbers are hyped a bit, still, could be a good deal. Someone better versed in component quality could tell you a little better if these are a deal or not.

Since mine is hardtail, rigid fork, single-speed, it's pretty basic and the way I figure it would be hard to go wrong at that price for an entry-level bike. I've taken it on some steep, branch and stick-strewn trails and it's a BLAST!!

About buying from Sportymama: shipping was fast, communication was good. I had to true the front rim a bit out of the box. The rear hub had a lot of play, so I had to open it up, repack it and tighten everything down a little better. That's it. Everything else was
copasetic.

Here's the link to her store if you wanna check out what she's got:

http://myworld.ebay.com/sprtymama

**Now that I look at it, the only 29ers she has are like mine. No FS, geared. Take that as you will.
Here's her link

nosamiam

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
A little update on the Motobecane. I think I read somewhere on here (different thread) that someone was wondering about the geometry. Well, it seems that the chainstays are a bit long. There's a lot of space between the rear tire and the seat tube, and that's a pretty good rough indicator, right?

Wheelies and bunnyhops are pretty tough on this bike. I used to ride a little BMX, so I know pretty well how to do both. I'm new to mountain biking but I think the technique should translate pretty well. If so, this is NOT a wheelie/bunnyhop/dirt-jump bike.

As such, I've converted mine to strictly on-road use as a commuter: fixed gear/no brakes, bullhorn bars, inverted the stem, semi-slick 700x38 tires. Kind of a hybrid MTB/track bike. Won't ever get confused with anyone else's ride!

So yeah, if you're looking for an XC, downhill, or dirt-jumper, I think you'll be disappointed. It's not a bad bike, but it's probably not a great idea for every application.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
If you can chill out till the fall, this sub grand bike category is going to get alot of attention with new 29"er entries. Specialized's Hardrock 29"er will be just a bit more than your budget, but it's geared and has a Rock Shox Dart 29"er fork on board. Diamondback will be coming out with an "Overdrive" model at about $650.00, geared and rigid fork, I think. (More on that later)

Those are two I know for sure will be available come this fall. I'm betting that is just scratching the surface though.
Stay tuned!

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Yep, just like the man said, there here:>) I'm selling mine if you're interested; it's a large frame and the bike is in mint condition. Only used as a commuter, never off ride. Send me a Pm if you're interested. First $650.00 takes it away; trade and cash for nice Karate Monkey
seattle
turtle

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Yep, just like the man said, there here:>) I'm selling mine if you're interested; it's a large frame and the bike is in mint condition. Only used as a commuter, never off ride. Send me a Pm if you're interested. First $650.00 takes it away; trade and cash for nice Karate Monkey
seattle
turtle

i was about to say there is a lightly used one here for sale.

get it fast!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The Rockhopper does seem like a good value. The frame seems to be well thought out and versatile to accept different configurations over time. Like what bcd did with his. :thumb: