Quantcast

Good baggy shorts?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I typically ride in just my beat-up cargo shorts.

Lately I've become frustrated with the way regular shorts ride on the waist, plus there are lots of great materials and features like a removable chamois that I could benefit from. So I'm buying some baggies.

The issue is, shopping for these things, it seems like most of the highly recommended baggies (Oakley Ballistic, Fox Ranger/Attack) are super long. I'm 5'9" and have a fairly evenly proportioned leg:torso ratio, and to be honest I don't really like shorts that hang much below my knees.

Any good shorts out there that have a more normal fit? I'm not looking for Daisy Dukes here, just a short that hits right about knee-length. Anyone tried hemming their shorts? Some of them I've looked at won't hem because the pockets extend down the full length of the short.

Other considerations: must have at least 1-2 pockets, preferably a removable chamois, and available in a simple color scheme.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Fox sargeant is a pretty good candidate if your looking for flow and can be hemmed up a bit, if you want more stout the TLD motos are good and any good seemstress can hem just about anything. i have the opposite problem I have a 33" inseam so most shorts fit me like that LOL...
I have several TLD motos and fox and for all around riding the Fox has the chamois and rides very well as stretches a bit so pedalling and breathability is great. i was a little worried about the material as im used to the HD style shorts but Ive been down and they hold up, they are extremely comfortable.

Id recomend them (fox sarg.) for any rideing aside of true DH and even then they are OK but they are not as tough as the designated shorts..
They are pretty kick butt, light weight as well and didnt notice them grabbing at the strait pads so they flow really well..

Added: I dont like shorts flowing below the knee as well, it bunches and pulls as well is just not that comfortable.... Plus having a wide bottom on the short helps too.

Good luck and if you find any baggies that fit well and flow keep us posted I only wear baggies and real anal about how they fit/ride...

Last edited:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I got some Titec DH shorts from the Jenson's blowout for 36bucks. Not to heavy, two big pocket and a very reasonable price (I refuse to pay more than 50$ for shorts anyway...). Styling is neutral, no weird prints or nothing.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I got some Titec DH shorts from the Jenson's blowout for 36bucks. Not to heavy, two big pocket and a very reasonable price (I refuse to pay more than 50$ for shorts anyway...). Styling is neutral, no weird prints or nothing.
LOL yeah I paid $50 out the door (FX sarg.) at the local BS here, closeout or spring cleaning sale.
Theres some good prices on shorts right now...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Those Fox Sergeants look great - simple styling, even in a color other than black, good pocket selection, lots of room to hem if I don't like the length, and on sale from several vendors... thanks for the recommendation.

Apr 24, 2010
On my laptop

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Those Fox Sergeants look great - simple styling, even in a color other than black, good pocket selection, lots of room to hem if I don't like the length, and on sale from several vendors... thanks for the recommendation.
No worries I hate the shorts riding up and paying attention to that and the catching knees as well as ridgid feel when riding and these dont do that.

Plus theres a cool ipod inner pocket to keep it in and run the cord under the jersey. LOL not a huge selling point but I love the little extra convienance...:thumb:

MM_Freak

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
Western Mass.
Jett Lightning shorts are awesome! I picked up a pair off chainlove.com for $44 shipped! I think they may be just what your looking for. They have 2 pockets, removable chamois, vents to open and close via zippers, and a cloth in the right pocket attached to a stretchy string to wipe your goggles/nose. They are very tough too. I though for use I ripped them while coming out of the basement and caught them on a nail but nothing :thumb: Anyway keep an eye out on chianlove they have shorts on there all the time for cheap.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I have a pair of those that I won at a race, they do fit well but they are made of the most hot box of non breathable material I think I have ever used. I sweat more in those shorts than any I have ever used.

Matteo

Chimp
Mar 17, 2006
Kirkland, Washington
My Sombrio Wildcards fit awesome, I have the ones that are light grey that they made last year. By far my favorite shorts although they are a little on the longer side so maybe for you a different pair of their shorts would work. They are a bit on the pricey side, but imo well worth it.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I can tell you what NOT to buy. Do not buy those Fox Ranger shorts. At least not the 09 ones. I have a pair of the graphite ones, and they have the worst designed waist in the history of pants. The shorts fit great, but the waist is screwed up in the back. The only think they are good for is if get a kick out of mooning your riding buddies, because those shorts stay at half ass for 90% of your ride. My buddy bought the same ones and he has got clothing pins all over the back.:rofl:
I have two other pair of Fox baggies that are great, so it is just that regular ranger one to avoid.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I prefer a regular baggy short with a decent road short inner as the chamois are better and if you are on a trip you can usually go a few days since you just have to change the inner roadie shorts. Baggy bike shorts with removable liners are just two loops on the side so there is nothing special compared to regular short with a similar cut + road cycling short.

Zoic has good baggy shorts that aren't super long - check out the Ether if you don't want to do that.

Last edited:

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Sombrio Highline shorts are great they are a sretch fabric that is real tough they are not super baggy and sit right about knee level.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
i have a couple pairs of baggies(older oakleys and newer fox rangers) and they both are too low in the waistline. not so low that i get plumbers crack but low enough that i get roost falling inside the shorts. uncomfortable and distracting. also the snap waists are not that secure. anyone else had that problem or know about some shorts that arent prone to it?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I prefer a regular baggy short with a decent road short inner as the chamois are better and if you are on a trip you can usually go a few days since you just have to change the inner roadie shorts.
That's what I've been doing forever... recommended.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's what I've been doing forever... recommended.
The chamois isn't what I fight with. The shorts are.

I like some decent sized pockets on shorts, but of course you need a closure mechanism if you're riding with them. Most cargo shorts aren't made of the right material - they're heavy and have no give, plus I have no hips/ass so anything without some kind of built-in waistband adjustment necessitates me wearing a belt. That last one is a killer - wearing a belt on a bike sucks, IMO.

Most athletic shorts have no good pockets - unless they're made for activities like mountain biking, in which case I'm back to MTB shorts, with or without the built-in chamois...

Have you found some shorts that are specifically for riding or are you generally just fine with regular or athletic shorts?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The chamois isn't what I fight with. The shorts are.

I like some decent sized pockets on shorts, but of course you need a closure mechanism if you're riding with them. Most cargo shorts aren't made of the right material - they're heavy and have no give, plus I have no hips/ass so anything without some kind of built-in waistband adjustment necessitates me wearing a belt. That last one is a killer - wearing a belt on a bike sucks, IMO.

Most athletic shorts have no good pockets - unless they're made for activities like mountain biking, in which case I'm back to MTB shorts, with or without the built-in chamois...

Have you found some shorts that are specifically for riding or are you generally just fine with regular or athletic shorts?
Years ago I used these oakley riding shorts (non-moto) that I found at Marshalls. These were the best shorts I've ever had. Soft, light, breathable, sturdy with zipped pockets and a riding fit. I was never able to find another pair, on ebay or anywhere.

Now I'm some lightweight CK Jeans shorts I found that are working ok. They have button pockets which are workable... they're something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Calvin-Klein-Mens-Ripstop-Cargo-Shorts-Sz-34-Prescott-/200370325170

Something like this might work:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Oakley-Mens-Outdoor-shorts-Beige-Size-XXL-/250628697096?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_CSA_MC_Shorts&hash=item3a5aa26c08

But I hear you, it's a bit of a challenge to find good regular shorts that work for biking. I kinda just use whatever and every once in a while get lucky with a really good pair.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I can tell you what NOT to buy. Do not buy those Fox Ranger shorts. At least not the 09 ones. I have a pair of the graphite ones, and they have the worst designed waist in the history of pants. The shorts fit great, but the waist is screwed up in the back. The only think they are good for is if get a kick out of mooning your riding buddies, because those shorts stay at half ass for 90% of your ride.
That's so funny. I have the same ones and I thought the same thing. They seemed like they were cut like my wife's lowrise jeans. Which of course work on her but not so much on me.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I've got a pair of Oakley Ballistic (09 model)...very different from the '08 and '10 models. They are the best short I've ever had, even though they are longer than I would have bought. I'm 5'10 with itty bitty legs, but love them. There is a mesh vent down the front, two solid pockets on the hips, one with a inner mesh pocket, and a 3rd on the back at the waist for a key or cell phone. the material is super thin and very durable, essentially a high grade, lightweight ripstop. They've never once bothered me pedaling b/c of the light weight of the material and they don't hang on your knee. The chamois is top of the line too.

In contrast, I have so old school Nema Jewels, a pair of '09 Race Face 6x6's and a pair of Race Face VO3s. Also have a set of Spectrum Techwears. All are comfy, but the Race Faces have an elasticed waist w/ velcro adjusters on the side/hip. Just like the Fox, you get plumbers butt easy.

Bottom line, I've got lots and prefer the Oakley's. Dual button snap waist sized correctly and the option to run a belt too.

As for the Sergeants, aren't those pretty thick? They are definitely a short you can pull off in public though.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Endura Burners and other Endura shorts come in a short and long length. I have the short Burners, and they are good shorts. The chammy is good too.

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
What about the Royal F-tech shorts for trail riding. They have a great fit that is designed specifically for riding and not based on a moto pant made into a short. They used to retail for $150 but now have an msrp of $84.95.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I would buy good spandex with a chamois and buy shorts that go over them. I ride XC in the winter with this setup and it's nice. I wear Pearl Izumi knickers under my baggies. I have never seen a baggie with a good chamois.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
That's so funny. I have the same ones and I thought the same thing. They seemed like they were cut like my wife's lowrise jeans. Which of course work on her but not so much on me.
Fox has never been able to get the back of their shorts right, ever since the first pair of baggies they released. I switched to Oakley and like them better.

FWIW, I don't like removable chamois. I prefer to have it sewn in or use road shorts instead. The removable liner is a pain that never fits right and the loops will eventually break - and you get to pay more for the priviledge.

gideon

Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
San Francisco
hey gotta give a bump to Sombrio
The shorts look cool and the company (Paul) sent me a brand new pair when my badass model's ripped on the ripstop nylon

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
I have had good luck with some Oakleys I gopt way back in like 05,6.. Not sure what model they are, they have a bunch of countries printed on the side though. Have also been happy with my JETT's..

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I can tell you what NOT to buy. Do not buy those Fox Ranger shorts. At least not the 09 ones. I have a pair of the graphite ones, and they have the worst designed waist in the history of pants. The shorts fit great, but the waist is screwed up in the back. The only think they are good for is if get a kick out of mooning your riding buddies, because those shorts stay at half ass for 90% of your ride. My buddy bought the same ones and he has got clothing pins all over the back.:rofl:
I have two other pair of Fox baggies that are great, so it is just that regular ranger one to avoid.
Dude, you read my mind and put into words what I was just figuring out how to say! I have no idea why those shorts do that, but I find myself hardly ever wearing them for that reason!

I wouldn't reccomend the Ranger shorts either.

My buddy just got some pearl izumi "elite versa" shorts that are black, use stretchy material, and look like they fit the way you describe, Binary. He likes them a lot. They have a chamois too.
http://www.rei.com/product/778970

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I know I posted this before but you have to try the Endura Humvee. It has a ton of pockets and the road shorts snap inside. They are awesome.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I ended up with a pair of Fox Sergeants and got about 3 inches hemmed off the bottom. They now fit like regular shorts, only light, comfortable and the waistband actually keeps the shorts up (which is a freakin' miracle for me). It's for trail riding so I didn't want anything as heavy as serious DH shorts.

I'm very happy with them, found 'em for a closeout price and the chamois is removable so I can sub in whatever chamois I want (and wash it after a ride).

My only complaint is that, while I love the magnetic buttons while I'm using them on the trail, I stick to anything metal that I walk near. Not much of a complaint, it's just bizarre to walk next to the dishwasher and feel my pocket stick to it :p

We'll see how they hold up but I've got a few good crashes on them already and no rips so hopefully they'll do well for me.

Some of the other shorts recommended looked good and I'll likely give them a try next time I buy a pair... just happened to find the Seargents on closeout.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
FYI...just got some new Oakley Stairstep shorts in brown plaid and may have found the perfect on bike/off bike short. You can literally walk from trail to town and no one ever know you rode a bike.

Built in (non-removable) liner short but feather light. And they feel something like wool? Put in some AM shuttle runs on the DH bike and they fit great, don't snag on the seat and breathe great. The chamois is even a step above my 2009 Ballistic's!.
http://www.oakley.com/catalog/products/stair-step-short

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I would buy good spandex with a chamois and buy shorts that go over them. I ride XC in the winter with this setup and it's nice. I wear Pearl Izumi knickers under my baggies. I have never seen a baggie with a good chamois.
The Nema Crown Jewel has a pretty good one. It's no Assos chamois, but I've done a bunch of 6 hour rides in total comfort.