Quantcast

Good basics cookbook?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I grew up with Joy of Cooking and use it all the time, but my teen son is asking for one on the basics that's more user friendly... I mean, who makes duchess potatoes and aspic as everyday stuff?

So, any recommendations?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'm Just Here for the Food by Alton Brown.

Not many recipies, but it covers the hows and whys that a beginner needs to know. It's a good one to build off of.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Okay, there are really good picture-centric books that motivate people to cook from DK publishing. I kid you not - the pictures usually show you what your ingredients need to look like - which is a big help, btw.

Here's the first one I bought, early 90's somewhere in SoCal....

Classic Pasta Cookbook/Hazan

Now, the best book for understanding WHY foods cook or don't cook, is the Cooks Bible, Christopher Kimball.

Cook's Bible/Kimball

I strongly recommend browsing some of these at a bookstore to get a feel for them.

I once owned about 70 cookbooks and several encyclopedias. I admit, i was a freak. I'm down to about an even dozen.

I'd say, of the great cuisines out there, Italian is the easiest to start with... so long as your ingredients are fresh, you're golden.

(although, being a weirdo, I started with Cajun and Creole cooking back in the day...)

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
geargrrl said:
I grew up with Joy of Cooking and use it all the time, but my teen son is asking for one on the basics that's more user friendly... I mean, who makes duchess potatoes and aspic as everyday stuff?

So, any recommendations?
Yup. Bittman.

One review (quoted on the cover) says "Think of it as a more hip Joy of Cooking". Great resource. He also has a "Simple Recipies" version.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Bittman is good.

And although he's kind of a wanker, the first couple of Naked Chef books have lots of fairly straightforward recipes, good tips on technique, and zero stuffiness.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
TreeSaw said:
Yup! I have a spiral bound one but they have a new 3 ring binder one that's nice too.

I think this is kind of what I'm looking for, for him. I've ordered this and a few others ( just here for the good) from the library to review, and then I'll probably by one.

thanks for the suggestions, all.

gg

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
follow up - I just got a MINT condition BHG on the 3-ring binder, new edition, for a buck at a yard sale yesterday. That works for me.
:)

gg

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Mackie said:
Yup. Bittman.

One review (quoted on the cover) says "Think of it as a more hip Joy of Cooking". Great resource. He also has a "Simple Recipies" version.
i highly recommend this one, as well as the two Nobody mentioned (the Hazan pasta book, and Cooks Illustrated, edited by Christopher Kimball).

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Mackie said:
Yup. Bittman.

Bittman gets my vote as well. My wife who has never cooked in her life is learning from that book and it's a great reference to me when I have a brain fart on something.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
BadDNA said:
Bittman gets my vote as well. My wife who has never cooked in her life is learning from that book and it's a great reference to me when I have a brain fart on something.
I gotta jump on the bandwagon...this book covers ALOT but not everything & makes things like butchering a whole chicken for the first time very easy.