Quantcast

Good bmx bikes for tall guys?

brianTX

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Austin, TX
I'm 6'4" and thinking of getting a 20" for dirt jumping, any suggestions on who makes a frame with a fairly long TT, on normal bikes with a 21" TT I feel way too big. I've given up on running pegs or anything, because my heels hit the rear pegs, mainly I'm looking for something I can do some street, mainly Dirt jumping on. For any of you familiar with Austin, I'm looking to work up to riding stuff like 9th street.

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Try looking at something like a S&M holmes. One of the larger non-racing frames out there. I can't think of any street/dirt frames with a toptube longer than 21". A long stem will keep you from bashing your knees too much. If you can't find any 20" that fit maybe think about a 24" cruiser. There are some 24" cruisers out there that would feel more comfortable and are still plenty tough for street. The Haro backtrail 24 is a prefect example.

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
I'm 6' and ride a holmes. It feels really big to me. 21" TT is probably the biggest you're going to find for a freestlye bike. Yeah so check out the N.G. Holmes, cuz it's big.

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
yeah, i'm about 6'2 and have the same problem -- but i am proportioned so my upper body is a little longer in proportion to my legs so even most mtb's feel a little cramped.
21" is the biggest i have found...
check out the FBM Angel of Death or some of the Gack Bikes. I'm working on getting the $$ together to build up a Gack Cannibal 24" for street type stuff.....

shoot, just go to Trend and ask the dudes there... they oughta be able to help you out....
i wanna work up 9th st. too, but sometimes i am afraid i am just to old hehe-- that self preservation instinct kicks in.... dammit

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
a custom frame may be what you need... I would suggest getting the biggest frame you can find - 21" seems to be it - and using that as a starting point. Keep in mind any 20" is going to feel small and quick when compared to a mtb your size.

Thick bike out of Pittsburgh Pa will build a frame in any numbers you want - they eve nhave a custom order form for it. Give them a call and see whay they say about sizing for bigger riders.

http://www.thickbikes.com/index2.html

brianTX

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Austin, TX
i called trend and talked to some of the guys there, it seems 21" may be the biggest i can find. i was mistaken, the bike i had ridden had a 20.5" TT so maybe with the 21" it'll be better. thanks for the info...........