Quantcast

Good brakes in 2022

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Dropping my post from the sticky brake thread here, as it may be helpful.

>>>

Two year update on both TRP DHR (big bike, 220mm 2.3 rotors) and Hayes Dominion a4 (littler bike, 200mm 2.0 rotors).

They both work great. No issues at all. Other than a fresh bleed when I swap pads just for grins, they have both been flawless.

Feel-wise, Hayes is a little sharper off the top (Ala Shimano) and TRP build power more deeper in the stroke.

after years of endless brake woes, it’s really nice to essentially never think about them any more.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Another TRP proponent here. I have 2 sets of the Quadiems, and they've been flawless. Neither are massively powerful in the sense of tossing you OTB if a leaf hits your brake lever, but more than adequate for my needs (which has included extended steep, brake draggy trails on occasion). @SuboptimusPrime put new thicc TRP rotors on one his bikes with Quads, and they're now obscenely powerful. So much so, I'd almost be worried about the DHRs with 220 rotors.

Heard great things about the Hayes as well, but no experience since Hayes Mags

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I'll throw in some past experiences with Hayes. Go with me here...

In 2010 I put the Stroker Aces on my Remedy as "all mountain" was the thing before enduro. 200/180 on there. They were a 4 piston brake but made of magnesium I believe. They were only a couple of grams heavier than avid/sram guides. I thought that was impressive. The stopping power was great for that bike. I'd say even more stopping power than the E4's. But on the DH bike 200f/r, it was 2 finger braking or one STRONG finger braking a lot of the times. While they retailed for $200, I bought them for $100 each (all 4 sets). I bled them when I installed them and 7 years later, sold the bike without ever doing anything to them. These brakes also did what the Hopes do when you push the pads out. You'll have to pump the lever a couple of times to get the pads in far enough to make contact.

Cheap, somewhat strong, very reliable.

Ps. Their bleed kit was the same as it was in 1998.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Aren't they like sold out and not available before the machines take over the world?
No idea, the delivery times that Trickstuff themselves quote have been outrageous for years. But shops always have some backordered and I waited less than a month for mine. Prices were already ludicrous when I got mine in 2020, but they were almost 30% lower than today, which makes the Direttissimas my least shitty investment of the past years.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
How long does it take you to get replacement parts if you break something/need to rebuild?
I’ve only needed pads over the last two years, but common replacement parts are usually in stock somewhere. Looks like I’d be screwed if I needed a plunger kit right now however. Should probably order a second set to be safe.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ie. I've pushed out the old pads and put in brand new ones and the pads don't touch. I have to pump the lever to get the pads in far enough to contact. This is opposite of sram stuff where I'd spread the old pads, put the new ones in and have to force the disc between the pads. With that said, with the Hopes, the rotors don't drag.
Hope made the V4 compatible with their massively thick vented votor. It still works fine with a normal rotor as well but the fully retracted spacing is for clearance on the vented rotor I believe, hence why they need to be pumped out to work on a standard thickness rotor.

parts aren't as abundant as Shimano and sram. But I've never needed anything besides brake pads.
I'd debate this. You can buy literally every part of a Tech 3 lever and V4 caliper pretty much individually. Shimano sells only complete levers, complete calipers and roughly 48 varieties of hoses to connect the two.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
You can buy literally every part of a Tech 3 lever and V4 caliper pretty much individually. Shimano sells only complete levers, complete calipers and roughly 48 varieties of hoses to connect the two.
I'm aware of this and I agree 100%.

But people always make a big deal out of things like "if you break your lever at Whistler, good luck!" or "no shop I go to stocks Hope brake parts".

Like I said though, pads are the only thing that I've replaced and pieces-of-parts are available online.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

But people always make a big deal out of things like "if you break your lever at Whistler, good luck!" or "no shop I go to stocks Hope brake parts".

Like I said though, pads are the only thing that I've replaced and pieces-of-parts are available online.
I did break a lever in bellingham when my 785-era lever MC decided to puke. It was hell trying to get something jerry rigged up, as the 7/8000 series was out and you couldn't hook that up to the shifter and all I needed was some kind of band/ring for the shifter so it would mount on the bar. Ever ever doing integrated crap again. Give me separate rings.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Another TRP proponent here. I have 2 sets of the Quadiems, and they've been flawless. Neither are massively powerful in the sense of tossing you OTB if a leaf hits your brake lever, but more than adequate for my needs (which has included extended steep, brake draggy trails on occasion). @SuboptimusPrime put new thicc TRP rotors on one his bikes with Quads, and they're now obscenely powerful. So much so, I'd almost be worried about the DHRs with 220 rotors.

Heard great things about the Hayes as well, but no experience since Hayes Mags

Same here. Really like the Quadiems, not the most powerful but I jerk off a lot so hand strength isn't an issue.

Also I hate the term 'power' when talking brakes. It doesn't mean what people mean. Should be using 'gain'.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
How long does it take you to get replacement parts if you break something/need to rebuild?
Friend killed his Piccola lever during a race in August, sent the whole brake to TS, had a working one five days later.
Their service and lead times on service works are like the performance of their brakes, second to none.
Love my DRTs.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
No idea, the delivery times that Trickstuff themselves quote have been outrageous for years. But shops always have some backordered and I waited less than a month for mine. Prices were already ludicrous when I got mine in 2020, but they were almost 30% lower than today, which makes the Direttissimas my least shitty investment of the past years.
If I didn't spend 300$ on doctors and needed to spend another 400-600$ on a new FF helmet I would have considered them but with my currency to dolar and euro being 2x worse than 10 years ago (seriously) I want to actually do some riding this winter not just squeezing my brakes in my flat. Otherwise I'd probably chase them.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Long hair.
Do you have a conservative east coast haircut?
Is Jon rocking the Armie Hammer?

Same here. Really like the Quadiems, not the most powerful but I jerk off a lot so hand strength isn't an issue.

Also I hate the term 'power' when talking brakes. It doesn't mean what people mean. Should be using 'gain'.
The term should really be "bite". How much strength do you need to apply to lock the rear wheel under heavy load. As that's what's really important. You don't want to be deathgripping the levers just to slow down.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

Save a set of your old brakes and use a possible backup.

1. Hope brakes have incredible modulation.
2. Magura MT7 have a bit more power than the DH braided cable Hopes I feel with less modulation even with their better lever.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Incredible modulation = industry bullshit "takes lever ages to lock the wheel"

fingers (generally) have incredible fine motor skill.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

I could not agree more. Hence my crude joke about sad girlfriends. Also modulation = you feel brake pad wear more so even more bullshit.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020

I was trying to explain modulating Dominions to a friend this weekend. I was like, since there's so little piston friction, you don't feel much in the lever until you lock up, and the throw is pretty short. But you hear/feel the pad/rotor vibration through your hands, so that's how I know that I'm just feathering the brake. Then obviously add pressure if I need to slow down more. Feels kind of Shimano-y (but less seal drag). It did take a couple rides to readjust coming from the old paradigm of "modulation = how far past increased resistance until you lock up."

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I was trying to explain modulating Dominions to a friend this weekend. I was like, since there's so little piston friction, you don't feel much in the lever until you lock up, and the throw is pretty short. But you hear/feel the pad/rotor vibration through your hands, so that's how I know that I'm just feathering the brake. Then obviously add pressure if I need to slow down more. Feels kind of Shimano-y (but less seal drag). It did take a couple rides to readjust coming from the old paradigm of "modulation = how far past increased resistance until you lock up."
You can have resistance but it's super annoying when it comes from flexy shit cables (cough cough sram). I still think old Magura Gustavs were the best brakes I've ever tried.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

On'Off brakes are for the geriatric folks. Do you think the McLaren F1 had anti-lock or insta lock brakes? F N that thing was firm as fuck and the weak test drivers complained of leg pump-up. Keep in mind I haven't had Hopes since my Zerode but they could be adjusted to lock at bars or within about 1/3" of lever throw....

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
On'Off brakes are for the geriatric folks. Do you think the McLaren F1 had anti-lock or insta lock brakes? F N that thing was firm as fuck and the weak test drivers complained of leg pump-up. Keep in mind I haven't had Hopes since my Zerode but they could be adjusted to lock at bars or within about 1/3" of lever throw....
The thing is no MTB brakes are on off. People assume some brakes are on off because they have fat fingers.

Also I'd rather avoid us needing to do finger squats to be able to stop our bikes. We are not professional athletes even if some of us are reasonably fit.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think modulation was an issue decades ago when a riders COG was about a half inch behind the front axle.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think modulation was an issue decades ago when a riders COG was about a half inch behind the front axle.
I mean even then I didn't have issues. Granted when I had gustavs I was a skinny 55kg boy (don't ask. I am small framed) but I didn't drag my brakes on full lock constantly.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Since "modulation" is no longer an acceptable term, I will just say that some brakes take a pico-newton of force to lock the fucking things up which actually makes stopping harder. That seems easy enough to manage with your incredibly sensitive hand sticks in the parking lot, but not so much when your hands are smoked halfway through a descent and you're sliding down a slick AF rock slab.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Since "modulation" is no longer an acceptable term, I will just say that some brakes take a pico-newton of force to lock the fucking things up which actually makes stopping harder. That seems easy enough to manage with your incredibly sensitive hand sticks in the parking lot, but not so much when your hands are smoked halfway through a descent and you're sliding down a slick AF rock slab.

But do you have RM arms?

1666801823379.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
F1is the most irrelevant thing possible to 99.99999999999999999999% of the worlds population.

You ride a fucken push bike FFS

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've been doing a ton of brake testing, and I'm kind of finding the opposite. More brake helps keep your hands fresher since you're not having to haul on them as hard, and your fine motor control is better when you're at a more moderate effort. I'm all for overkill.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
I've been doing a ton of brake testing, and I'm kind of finding the opposite. More brake helps keep your hands fresher since you're not having to haul on them as hard, and your fine motor control is better when you're at a more moderate effort. I'm all for overkill.
Interesting, as that is somewhat true for me at the very beginning, but not in any way the case later down the descent - not because my hands are tired from squeezing the coward prongs, but because my hands are smashed to bits by unrelenting bumpies (regardless of fork setup). And then there's panic braking in my particular case, where my line is all over the place like a Russian border, and I need to shave off some force vectorz post haste - and inadvertently locking shit up is less than ideal. I run OG Shimano 810s on my DH bike with 200 mm rotors and strong sized wheels, so they're wicked powerful (or is it "gainful" now?) and I prefer the feel of my TRPs on my other bikes. All that said, I'd like to try out Subopt's newly upgraded TRPs, as they seem so damn strong I'd have to wear a full-face to keep my dentures from flying out.