Quantcast

Good brakes in 2022

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have XT 4 pistons on my Pivot. Occasional variable bite but really just fine. Power and modulation are fine. I am satisfied enough.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Too late, the brakes on my Giant Revolt are like that and its from 2017 or something. :busted:

The levers are normal cable brakes, which go into this weird thing on the stem. The hydraulic hoses come out of that. For as weird of a setup it is, I've had zero issues with it and have never had to adjust or bleed anything. And the brakes work, the little 160mm rotors stop my fatass.

at least its not routed through the headset i guess

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Too late, the brakes on my Giant Revolt are like that and its from 2017 or something. :busted:

The levers are normal cable brakes, which go into this weird thing on the stem. The hydraulic hoses come out of that. For as weird of a setup it is, I've had zero issues with it and have never had to adjust or bleed anything. And the brakes work, the little 160mm rotors stop my fatass.

Dia Compe did it in the 90s and more recently the TRP road brakes had cable levers and a mini hydraulic piston at the caliper.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I used to wonder when companies would introduce the latest-and-greatest "hybrid brakes". Cable actuated hydraulic calipers.

You're welcome, The Industry™
My first disc brakes were cable operated hydraulic from RockShox. That was like 1997 or something.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah RS licenced them I think. 3 bolt rotors, prone to overheating. Little red button to relieve them when they got too hot haha. My dad had a photo of me entering a corner in a DH race when i was 17 and the rear rotor is glowing haha.

1667509169936.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I only ever saw those on GT bikes over here. Caratti sport was the UK distributor for both GT and Rock Shox back then so the two brands were kinda synonymous.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I am quite intrigued by those, and considering the scale of production $600 NZ per brake is pretty damn reasonable given the Saints, Hopes and TRP DH Evo's are around $490 each.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
looks like they're designed by someone who liked the idea of Hope brakes but wanted to try and improve on some of their shortcomings.

Really not a fan of massive long lever blades... seems pretty strange they're hidden in the pics

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
A slight tangent. Any current gen brakes have pop out levers? I have creepy thin long fingers and this results in a fracture every 2 years when I get an unlucky OTB. The only levers that didn't do it too me were old old formula oros because they poped out. Any other brake does that?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
A slight tangent. Any current gen brakes have pop out levers? I have creepy thin long fingers and this results in a fracture every 2 years when I get an unlucky OTB. The only levers that didn't do it too me were old old formula oros because they poped out. Any other brake does that?
Maguras do it super easy but its a one way operation

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Jesus fkin christ, that's the stupidest bleeding connector I've ever used. WTF
1667647875630.jpeg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Why don't you like it? Granted it's not as simple as a bolt with a tube on it, but it works well for me. And eliminates any chances of a mess.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Why don't you like it? Granted it's not as simple as a bolt with a tube on it, but it works well for me. And eliminates any chances of a mess.
We had it pop out numerous times during bleeding, not holding slight vacuum while bleeding, etc.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There's no valve to "close" it after you've bled out bubbles?

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
There's no valve to "close" it after you've bled out bubbles?
I'm not sure what you mean.

What I'm trying to say is:
In my case, I cannot pull a slight vacuum in the caliper, without it sucking ambient air.
We had instances, where during pumping the oil from the lever to the caliper, the whole connector just popped off, spilling all the oil all over the workshop.
Fuck that.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'm not sure what you mean.

What I'm trying to say is:
In my case, I cannot pull a slight vacuum in the caliper, without it sucking ambient air.
We had instances, where during pumping the oil from the lever to the caliper, the whole connector just popped off, spilling all the oil all over the workshop.
Fuck that.
theres a teeny tiny split ring that needs to snap into a groove in the bleed port. You should hear a very clean “snap” when it is fully inserted into the port.

I flexed mine out a bit to the point that it is actually kinda hard to remove the fitting from the calliper. I’d prefer that to having the issues you describe. I had them too… No longer.

just don’t lose it!

if you do, there’s always Ali Express…

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Actually, not fully pop out but both Tech 3 and 4 Hope levers are spring loaded so they can swing slightly outwards without damage FWIW

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Actually, not fully pop out but both Tech 3 and 4 Hope levers are spring loaded so they can swing slightly outwards without damage FWIW
The Hayes have that feature too. I didn’t realize that I need that feature until I didn’t have it. The Cura do not. They tear up my knuckles when I forget and go for a clicked table or tomahawk out the front door!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The Hayes have that feature too. I didn’t realize that I need that feature until I didn’t have it. The Cura do not. They tear up my knuckles when I forget and go for a clicked table or tomahawk out the front door!
This sells me on the Hayes even more. I seriosly don't want to have horror fingers. M810 saints were working on getting me there.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Jesus fkin christ, that's the stupidest bleeding connector I've ever used. WTF
View attachment 184261
This is probably the best thing sram has ever done. I'm not sure why you had issues, but it's (almost?) foolproof. No wrenches and hoses that need to be threaded on. It clicks and turns by hand. And doesn't just pop off like the Ole Hayes system used to. When you're done with it. It pops right out and there's no mess to clean up.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I borrowed a friend's bike for the weekend with XTRs. Surprise fucking surprise, wandering bite point. He said he bled them 2 weeks or so prior to address same thing.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I borrowed a friend's bike for the weekend with XTRs. Surprise fucking surprise, wandering bite point. He said he bled them 2 weeks or so prior to address same thing.
haha, bleed them a few moar times...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I'm a little late and haven't read the thread but here's my experience in the last couple years:
Most* Shimano brakes work great and the 4 pistons have great power. They usually* bleed easily and thoroughly. The cheapest model is functionally the same as the most expensive so great value. *Occassionally I see weird issues with the master and slave cylinders. Hopefully you don't get one of these duds. The odds are in your favor and warranty exists. I use Shimano 2 pistons on most of my MTBs and 4 pistons on my DH bike.

Sram: Very easy to perfectly bleed. The Code and Guide RSCs have great feel and the Codes have great power. They're what I use on heavy Sur-rons (w/220 rotors). The R models have something else different besides the of lack lever stroke adjustment because they have a longer stroke and usually also feel spongy.

My Trickstuff trail brakes feel almost perfect (lever shape, stroke, firmness. pivot placement keeps it from perfect), great weight and looks, almost great power, okay to bleed. I'm guessing the DH brakes follow suit. I don't know how you're supposed to get them, which makes the cost almost irrelevent. Mine came on a Scott Spark Ultimate.

Hope: I was disappointed in the power of the enduro E4. The DH V4 is supposed to have more power at the cost of a longer lever throw.

Magura: I generally think they feel flexy, I've seen the bleed ports stripped, and I don't like the 4 pads idea. But I've felt some that have a short throw, firm end, and good bite in the parking lot. Maybe too fat a lever blade for me.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Im in a love affair with TRP these days but the pivot came with 8120 XTs, and they fucking rock, for now.
Jesus, if Shimano could figure out their QC beyond a year or two of use they'd own the market.

* I'm using sintered Miles Racing pads, those rock too.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Got Shimano? Get a Bleed Cup and their oil.

At first sign of wandering bite point, Bleed Cup the lever. That's all you really have to do. No syringes, no caliper jackassery. Really. Bleed Cup the f*ck out of the lever. Takes less than a beer's worth of time.

My 2 cents. YMMV. Like and subscribe. OMGWTFBBQ. MBA PMP Certified SAFe Agilist. (Now I'm just making fun of people I work with) Oh and for the dentists, ADA approved.

:D