Quantcast

Good brakes in 2022

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Just cut bars to 640mm and no need for brakes to do all the work, hell you don't need to even be flexible to clear bars...
I had to di with once with 780mm bars. Literally laid the bike in the corner and jump over the bars running at full speed (well and falling after 3 steps). That was the moment I decided to stop liking formulas (though they were oros so my fault too)

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
$1200 for brakes?

like DaveW im a convert to thicker rotors.
Running galfer 2.0 223/203 rotors and pro green pads on formula one and code brakes...havent needed anymore from either bike...
$1200 NZ dollarydoos. thats like $700 for a set, F/R.

edit: sniped by teh HABZ.

(if they were shipping to the US I'd roll the dice and try a pair. No mineral oil nor US shipping just yet)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The infamous NZer on mtbr had this to day about them:

Don't think they are NZ made. The oceania bike project said they couldn't find NZ manufacturers who could do it for the price:
http://instagr.am/p/CkbkfSAB9KS/
radic said:
This first batch of available Radic brakes won't be made in house, instead, with a reliable overseas partner that can deliver the precision machining they need.

However, Taylor says that he would love to make the brakes in New Zealand at a later stage. He found it very difficult to find a supplier that could work within the tolerances that are needed to build an outstanding mountainbike brake that wouldnt blow the bank.
There's literally nothing out there for ride reports on these brakes. They started with two guys wanting to make ultralight 3D printed brake calipers. That idea vanished pretty quick along with their rotors. Now it's traditional machined aluminium

Now it looks like it's down to one guy. Hell of a task for one guy with a day job to design, prototype, test, refine, destructively test, organise manufacture, assemble, market and ship brakes. Normally it takes a team of people many years to get a brake design done, tested and ready to sell.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The servo wave pushes the piston in a non paralel way, so it ends scoring the inner bore of the MC. Fluid is now able to get back past the seal, and you get the dreaded wandering bite point. My friend managed to make a set of XT levers go a bit more by machining the inner bore and adapting a new 3D printed master piston with new seals.
Deore levers are so cheap he coulda bought a fresh set.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The servo wave pushes the piston in a non paralel way, so it ends scoring the inner bore of the MC. Fluid is now able to get back past the seal, and you get the dreaded wandering bite point. My friend managed to make a set of XT levers go a bit more by machining the inner bore and adapting a new 3D printed master piston with new seals.
That sounds about right. The KTM Brembo master cylinders are REALLY bad about the bore getting scored from sediment that comes out of the fluid after a while, OR moisture getting trapped between the seal and the aluminum bore causing it to pit. No new seal kit will fix either of those conditions so they have these chronically shitty feeling brakes on bikes that are more than a couple years old.

They have inconsistencies with the amount of throw as you're riding but the changes are never as acute as what I noticed with the Shimanos though. I assume there are two seals on the Shimano plunger and the first one is the only one that closes off the port?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Meh
_20221110_212833.JPG

and a close up of that confidence inspiring packaging note.
DSC_0013.JPG

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Interested to hear what you think of those.
TBF I'm not really the guy to ask. I've never particularly liked any Hope brakes and am definitely not a fan of the sort of overly long lever this guy might favour
1668128620679.png

those E4s or V4s?
V4. That set were fitted to a pretty high end custom Carbon Nukeproof Giga build this afternoon. (Zeb Ult, EXT, Hope, DT, X01 AXS etc.)
I'm not entirely sure what the point of Hope's E4 caliper even is.
One nice thing about them is they all come with 2 sets of pads.
should be handy if you get a set where the "normal amount of oil on the caliper" has made it's way onto the pre-fitted pads. :brows:

I damn near went V4s instead of Dominions but the price difference was crazy.
Dominion A4s are pretty much the same RRP as the Hope's here. (but have been out of stock forever)
Even if that were the case for you from lever size/shape alone I think you've made the best choice

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
TBF I'm not really the guy to ask. I've never particularly liked any Hope brakes and am definitely not a fan of the sort of overly long lever this guy might favour
View attachment 184614
The Tech 4s are the first generation of Hope brake that I've cared for, but they're really good (in V4 guise, I totally agree that the E4 seems mostly pointless). And to be honest, I don't get the internet punters saying you need ET fingers to use them. My hands are on the larger side (XL or XXL gloves depending on brand) but I like running my levers in close to the bar, and the T4 lever facilitates that very well. The lever blade (as measured from the pivot to the hook) is a little longer than most others, but the throw isn't crazy long and the reach range comes in quite near the bar. TRPs are miles worse on that front (Andre the Giant couldn't run those fucking things at full reach) but the aspect ratio of the master cylinder looks more normal so people don't speculate as much.

No affiliation with Hope or anything, but they're good brakes that you can run with the levers in close to the bar quite readily.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I don't get the internet punters saying you need ET fingers to use them.
Yeah. That was just a joke. I haven't read internet punters comments on them.
I have used them. On more than one bike.
I just don't care for a massive long lever that has to be placed miles inboard to achieve placement for one finger braking or the pull that alonger lever blades create.
eg.
My hands are on the larger side (XL or XXL gloves depending on brand) but I like running my levers in close to the bar, and the T4 lever facilitates that very well.
I have average sized hands. (an L or 10 in riding gloves... Yeuck Gloves :Alcoholic:). and I also like to run my lever/ contact point close to the bar but didn't really like they feel like that. But that's just personal preference.
I didn't like TRPs levers much either FWIW. and get on absolutely fine with curreent Shimano and SRAM levers. (from fitting them) I liked the Dominion lever too but still haven't had actual riding time on a set. (like I said, unavailable here)

10 yr old Elliot had pretty big levers on his Kuwahara and I didn't hear him complain

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
The Tech 4s are the first generation of Hope brake that I've cared for, but they're really good (in V4 guise, I totally agree that the E4 seems mostly pointless). And to be honest, I don't get the internet punters saying you need ET fingers to use them. My hands are on the larger side (XL or XXL gloves depending on brand) but I like running my levers in close to the bar, and the T4 lever facilitates that very well. The lever blade (as measured from the pivot to the hook) is a little longer than most others, but the throw isn't crazy long and the reach range comes in quite near the bar. TRPs are miles worse on that front (Andre the Giant couldn't run those fucking things at full reach) but the aspect ratio of the master cylinder looks more normal so people don't speculate as much.

No affiliation with Hope or anything, but they're good brakes that you can run with the levers in close to the bar quite readily.

Not sure where our dour Scotsman's coming from either. I have small hands for my size at 6'2". I wear a large glove. I also run my levers inward so lock-up occurs just off the bar.
Have never had a problem with the ergonomics of my prior gen T3V4's. I find them very comfortable.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The tech 4 "looks" a lot longer because it's less bent and you can see more of extending past the pivot in the other direction. When I compare the blade-length from the pivot, with digital calipers:

Tech 3 82.6mm

Tech 4 88.2mm

Difference 5.6mm

That's a wee bit folks.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Has anyone got their hands on the T4 Dominions yet? I don't like losing the tool free reach adjust, but wondering if the added cost means they're finished any nicer.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Has anyone got their hands on the T4 Dominions yet? I don't like losing the tool free reach adjust, but wondering if the added cost means they're finished any nicer.
Wait what? A higher end model loses tool free adjust? Why?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
IS CRC artificially pumping Hope prices? Since on CRC hope is slightly more expensive (199 for saint vs 210 for v4)
Nah. Sorry. I thought the V4 were 195.
My bad.
Still not a lot in it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The tech 4 "looks" a lot longer because it's less bent and you can see more of extending past the pivot in the other direction. When I compare the blade-length from the pivot, with digital calipers:

Tech 3 82.6mm

Tech 4 88.2mm

Difference 5.6mm

That's a wee bit folks.
Tech 3 levers were already longer than I'd like. So we're tech 2.
Its a HOPE ting. Init?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Not sure where our dour Scotsman's coming from either. I have small hands for my size at 6'2". I wear a large glove. I also run my levers inward so lock-up occurs just off the bar.
Have never had a problem with the ergonomics of my prior gen T3V4's. I find them very comfortable.
oh my. Aren't free choice and personal preference wonderful things?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Weight was main priority apparently
A bit dumb given it's such an important feature

Nah. Sorry. I thought the V4 were 195.
My bad.
Still not a lot in it.
Yeah I thought maybe I was missing something as I remember Tech 2 and Tech 3 V4's being more expensive than saints in pre Brexit times when I was considering them. Still surprised it's such a small difference. Could have sworn it was bigger.