Quantcast

Good canned WINE?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I watched the local news this morning and they showed a new niche in the wine market.

Active people who wouldn't mind some wine at on that ridge they just hiked up, etc. Wine is being sold in sub 12oz cans and are being praised for their....

1- smaller size (so you don't have to lug a big ackward bottle and still have some left over)

2- durabilty (aluminum or tin I don't know can take a beating unlike the glass bottles)

I think they said it has been tested in Japan (or somewhere) and they like the idea....but the makers believe true wine snobs will turn their nose up at the idea.

:D It just looked to strange to me. I don't drink much wine but that just looked weird. I am OK with a rubber cork...:think:....even a twist off cap :eek: but a little can seems odd to me. I also know 3 kinds of wine, Red, White, and Desert. :D

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i love wine because of the giddy laughing buzz it gives me. i drink it quite often. however i think thetaste would be tainted somehow by the metal.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
w00dy said:
They should serve it in little pouches like they do with cafeteria milk now. MMMM, wine pouches.
"Wine in a Box" comes in a Mylar pouch. :o: White Zin isn't half bad for a wine in a box set up....and it is better chilled...like in the fridge. :eek: That was from college....ah the memories.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Elegant dinner parties and posh gatherings will be so much more fun now that you can chug wine out of a can and then smash it on your forehead afterwards. The second part usually hurts more with glass bottles.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
oh i forgot to mention, the ladies love a nice hearty red wine. and as we all know its all about the ladies

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
RhinofromWA said:
"Wine in a Box" comes in a Mylar pouch. :o: White Zin isn't half bad for a wine in a box set up....and it is better chilled...like in the fridge. :eek: That was from college....ah the memories.
I f'in love the wine-in-a-box (Franzia) pouch. It's like a camelbak bladder. The wine itself stinks but you gotta love the packaging, plus the ladies get a nice giddy buzz going on 'cause it's so easy to drink :D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Franklin Estates: it's in the can

An Australian wine company, Franklin Estates, is planning to sell wine in cans.

July 28, 2003 4:09 PM GMT (Datamonitor) - Australia's Franklin Estates is preparing to release wine in cans to the US, UK and Japanese markets. While there are many practical benefits to the idea - no spoilage, no need for bottle-openers, no need to finish a bottle - its success depends on good weather, and consumers being prepared accept the unorthodox notion of wine in ring-pull cans.

In a move that can only offend the sensibilities of Old World wine producers, Franklin Estates is releasing ring-pull wine. The launch has been timed for summer in the hope of attracting picnicking consumers.

There are many sound practical reasons for providing wine in cans, especially for outdoor or on the move occasions. There is no corkscrew to forget, no need to choose between consuming a whole bottle or leaving one unfinished, no need to provide glasses, and fewer troubles with packing and disposal. For active wine-lovers, particularly those indulging in impromptu outdoor drinking, a can seems like a sensible solution.

However, the issue is not entirely a practical one. Cans have an image problem - they are associated with beer and lager, and the natural and predictable response of many wine-drinkers will be an emotional one - a gut instinct that good wine cannot come out of a can. Franklin has spent a considerable amount of time developing specially lined cans that will keep the wine at drinking quality for three years. In addition, the first two wines will be an entirely respectable 2002 Chardonnay and 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz. Nevertheless, the emotional barrier for most wine-drinkers will be high.

However, there are opportunities. As well as targeting younger, less traditional consumers, Franklin Estates is also hoping to entice the catering trade, particularly those handling outdoor, sports and leisure events, as well as transport catering and cafes. Restaurants who regularly have to dispose of half-finished bottles are also, apparently, attracted to the idea.

With good marketing and an understanding of the core consumer, Franklin Estates may be able to carve out a niche for wine in cans. But the major barrier is simply an instinctive negative reaction to the concept of wine in cans. As with cardboard cartons and plastic bottles, the perception, based solely on the packaging, may be that the wine is bound to be of poor quality.
Datamonitor's Digests let you receive more comments like this one, for free

http://www.commentwire.com/commwire_story.asp?commentwire_ID=4645

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Quality Wine In A Can

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Franklin Estates Wines from Australia will launch a 250ml wine-in-can later this month, the company told decanter.com. The company claims the wine is packaged in unique can which has been coated with an impervious membrane, topped with a nitrogen isolate. The company claims the cans will have a shelf life of three years.

"Having solved the canning problems, we then decided to fill with quality wines - equivalent to a 750ml bottle retailing for some £8 in the UK", Ashley Mote, CEO of Franklin Estates Wines (UK) Ltd. told decanter.com.

The company says it expects some resistance from the traditional wine trade, particularly in the short term, but has identified numerous sectors where wine in cans offers genuine commercial opportunities and benefits. They include catering companies, especially those handling outdoor, sports and leisure events, airlines, railways, cash and carry and fast-food outlets, golf clubs, yachting marinas, sandwich bars and coffee shops.

The 250ml cans are packed in cases of 24. There are two wines available - 2002 Chardonnay and 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz blend. The cans are suitable for retailing as single units or as litre four-packs.

http://www.winesandvines.com/headline_08_01_03_can.html

:D Uh, Give me a 4 pack of that red stuff. ;)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
wine in a can...as long as it's crap like white zin or sugary, oak chardonnay, i don't care if they package it in a used sock.

but don't be puttin' good wine in a metal can...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i don't mind boxed wine (ie bag o wine) but i think cans are pushing it. You're not going to appeal to a younger audience by sticking it in a can. Younger people don't drink wine because they don't understand it. Honestly, how many people in college drink wine who aren't artfags? Everybody I know either pounds beer or drinks wine for one of three reasons: To impress their girlfriend, to look sophisticated, or out of a box and because it's not beer. I know 0 people who drink a chianti because it is a chianti, know what the black rooster means, and understand the difference between a merlot and cabernet.

Then again...I may have just proved my opposing point...if it were in a can, people could slam it against their head after it was finished! HOORAY!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I caught some show on Food TV that was all about wine. They said that technically, wine in a bag/box will keep longer than that in a corked bottle. The benefits of aging still occur with less risk of accidental spoiling. Apparently many European wineries are toying with switching from bottles but are concerned that the purists, ie. "wine snobs" will shun them.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
pretty much....the advantages of bags are pretty obvious, the best being that they can be opened and stored for longer periods of time....but few companies are experimenting, and the ones that are are having a tough time. Blackwood cellars (i think) make a box called the "black box" (lol) but had a difficult production run. Quite a few of the first ones recieved at my local liqour store were returned for being brownish and spoiled.

Not a good start.