Quantcast

good day sirs gfmt.....

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Got a lingering cold thing thats like a ex girlfriend who will just not stop stalking you very persistent. Ride to work was nice though.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Howdy all. Big, fluffy snowflakes falling in Denver today. Wife elected to take the Land Cruiser so I whirred to work in the electric car.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Beer is happily bubbling away, snow is falling, and coffee is in hand. I'm not going to do jack shit today. Wife paid off a school loan this morning. Only 1 left, but it's zero interest so, "meh".

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
my morning so far....

I can't stop laughing out loud at work. I'd love to share it with my colleagues around me, but they are ladies (in the truest sense of the word). this is especially problematic when winter camping. happened to me once when it was -22°F out.... painful.

anyways, I think I've made my peace with fatbikes. I'll never ride them, but I can't be angry at them for breaking up my riding group. it is what it is, and not everyone is going to have the same interests.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I can't stop laughing out loud at work. I'd love to share it with my colleagues around me, but they are ladies (in the truest sense of the word). this is especially problematic when winter camping. happened to me once when it was -22°F out.... painful.

anyways, I think I've made my peace with fatbikes. I'll never ride them, but I can't be angry at them for breaking up my riding group. it is what it is, and not everyone is going to have the same interests.
just drink the kool-aid dude.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Finally got around to putting larger jets in the Volvo. Runs great now, seat of the pants dyno tells me I have a bit more power. Jets are numbered by fuel flow rate, went from 167.5 cc/min to 185 cc/min. All else being equal that should equate to about 10% more power a full throttle. Seeing as though that at WOT I am now running closer to the theoretical peak power AFR of 12.7:1 instead of Stoich at 14.7:1, it could actually be more than 10%. That would of course assume that my ignition timing was ideal, which it is not.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I think I've made my peace with fatbikes. I'll never ride them, but I can't be angry at them for breaking up my riding group. it is what it is, and not everyone is going to have the same interests.
I don't mind fat bikes but some fat bikers are effing trail possessing nazis and require bowling lanes to ride. It's effing snow you nuts!! :shakefist:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think that it is unfair that wearing a sweatshirt in public is socially acceptable but sweatpants are somehow a sign of giving up.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The problem with me is that half my riding group has them now. we used to ski in the winter, bike in the spring/summer/fall. Now the group is split in the winter with half the guys skiing and the other half biking. and because fat bikes tend to ruin ski tracks, we don't go out together.

I much prefer skiing to biking in snow, which has no attraction for me. I like to think of the type of skiing I like as "trail skiing"... we basically ski the same trails that we bike on. They're not groomed, but you can haul ass around corners, pump the rollers and generally get a nice sense of flow. On the other hand, in my opinion, fat biking is for people who are serious about their strava times and were tired of training on their rollers and their basement or garage. Now they can ride outside again.

For me and my group, I think fatbikes are shining a spotlight on this difference. The combination of fatbikes and strava/endomondo is really allowing the pedal-focused guys to geek out on that aspect of their riding, whereas I'm still stuck in the old mentality of riding for fun, hanging out with my buds, and seeing who can clear what on their bikes.

So even in the summer, once we get back to the trailhead, the guys are comparing heart rates, total time, top speed, elevation gained and lost, and mileage logs. Even the email banter after the rides have turned from who hit what jumps, cased that lip, endoed into the rocks, or made that tricky climb, into strava comparisons. It's kinda ruined riding for me.

So I guess the solution is to ride with other people, but that sucks caus' these guys have been my buddies for 15 years or more now. Seems silly that riding dictates my life and firends, but as a dad of two young boys, I don't have much extracurricular time, and riding is necessary for my soul...

Your problem isn't this bike versus that, it's that you need to purge your crew. I'm old and slow but determined, and the kool-ade you won't touch happens to float my boat summer and winter. It hasn't caused me to dump the Heckler, but it has opened another dimension of the cycling experience.

Not trying to convince you to change your behavior.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Your problem isn't this bike versus that, it's that you need to purge your crew. I'm old and slow but determined, and the kool-ade you won't touch happens to float my boat summer and winter. It hasn't caused me to dump the Heckler, but it has opened another dimension of the cycling experience.

Not trying to convince you to change your behavior.
I'd say that's about right. In my defense, I'll point out that I kept an open mind, and rented and demo-ed the koolaid, but didn't find them engaging, in fact, I was the first in the group to give them a try. But I still prefer skiing in the winter.

I think struggled all last year with the arrival of strava and how it changed the ethos of our group rides, and now I'm finding fatbikes are compounding the issue. I'm mostly annoyed that I have to make this choice, and I'm still trying to find a way to make it work.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
everybody must stop complaining and use more psp find your own psps that'll make riding more much interesting and besides fatbike problem I got 99 proplems ^∞ and that is not anywhere neer them. Just go get a fatty and ride all the winter. I have a Trek it has small fatbike wheels, I recommend the other brands who do 5"+ it has more logic of yours and less of psp I tell me what the fatty has me ridged and geared.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
everybody must stop complaining and use more psp find your own psps that'll make riding more much interesting and besides fatbike problem I got 99 proplems ^∞ and that is not anywhere neer them. Just go get a fatty and ride all the winter. I have a Trek it has small fatbike wheels, I recommend the other brands who do 5"+ it has more logic of yours and less of psp I tell me what the fatty has me ridged and geared.
Paging the one who is Angry. We need some help here....

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
fork is supposedly shipped...place and time of shipment have me a bit suspicious...

Date/Time
Activity

1/21/2015 - Wednesday
4:20 pm
In FedEx possession

BOULDER, CO
Tendered at FedEx location