Quantcast

Good deal or not?

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Ok, so here's the story. I've been racing DH for YEARS now and that's my main focus but kind of want to get back into BMX over the winter while I'm training for 2010. I used to ride BMX a long time ago but stopped after a nasty crash off of some stairs while doing a barspin.

Anyways, my buddy who built up a bike and rode it maybe 5 times called me and said he needs money for his race car and will sell me his bike for super cheap. I really don't remember what's good or not but here's what I know so far. Oh, and ya...it's kinda old school.

S&M Dirtbike Classic
FIT race 3/8 forks
Priom powerbite cranks
primo 36 tooth ring
edwin dj bars
tripple wall rear and double wall front alex wheels.

Theres other stuff obviously but he never sent me that list.
Apparently he'll sell it to me for $200

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
id buy it for 200 no problem. sure its not the cutting edge bmx setup, but itll ride real nice and the parts you've listed aren't gimp by any means.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Ok, so here's the story. I've been racing DH for YEARS now and that's my main focus but kind of want to get back into BMX over the winter while I'm training for 2010. I used to ride BMX a long time ago but stopped after a nasty crash off of some stairs while doing a barspin.

Anyways, my buddy who built up a bike and rode it maybe 5 times called me and said he needs money for his race car and will sell me his bike for super cheap. I really don't remember what's good or not but here's what I know so far. Oh, and ya...it's kinda old school.

S&M Dirtbike Classic
FIT race 3/8 forks
Priom powerbite cranks
primo 36 tooth ring
edwin dj bars
tripple wall rear and double wall front alex wheels.

Theres other stuff obviously but he never sent me that list.
Apparently he'll sell it to me for $200

hmmm. with a triple wall rear Alex wheel, i'm guessing it MIGHT be threaded for a regular freewheel. check to see if it has 16t in the back. if it does, you'll have to change that 36 up to a 44 to get a decent gearing....

S&M Dirt Bike Classic are good bikes. like they are actually 'classic.' the Holmes was the longer S&M frame at that time.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
hmmm. with a triple wall rear Alex wheel, i'm guessing it MIGHT be threaded for a regular freewheel. check to see if it has 16t in the back. if it does, you'll have to change that 36 up to a 44 to get a decent gearing....

S&M Dirt Bike Classic are good bikes. like they are actually 'classic.' the Holmes was the longer S&M frame at that time.

Cool, thanks! Yeah...I'll check it out probably today after work.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
CMC is right, it's probably a freewheel 16t and his gearing suggestion is correct. The build list sounds legit for $200. I wouldn't do any stair sets with a 3/8 axle or grinds but I'd do some chill park riding.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i forgot to mention that 44-16 is strictly mid-school vintage at this point. no one (except racters) runs that setup, unless for retro points.

if you want to keep up with the times, you may want to skip this bike and watch for something on craigslist.

or buy a new complete from www.empirebmx.com or albes.com . there's a lot in the $280-$500 range.