Quantcast

Good Desert Tyre

Back Woods

Chimp
May 15, 2002
England... For now!
Ok i just moved to Tucson, AZ and need new Tyres, i ride XC and i was just curious what is a good tire for the rocky desert type trails that hold up pretty good, thanks for any info

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
When I lived in 29 Palms, CA, I shredded nearly every tire I tried...ended up using Kujo DHs for about everything, and they worked well in the sand and on the hard rocks. That and street riding were the only good uses I found for them; they suck everywhere else, and you have to be ready to deal with the weight. They had a lot of float and volume in the 2.35 size, though.

I've heard of people in dry areas having success with 2.4 Mutanoraptors, too...big volume, light tires. Might be worth a look.

Whatever you do, don't try michelin XC tires with their paper-thin sidewalls.
MD

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
How could I have forgotten...Conti Survival Pros!!!! Awesome desert tire without the Kujo weight. The protection sidewalls are nice against the scary rocks and prickly things, but you'll need a tire no-flat insert to protect against punctures thru the tread.

Vert pro isn't bad, either, and is more versatile. Some people use it in a combo with the Survival.

MD