Quantcast

good digicam for riding?

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
i want to get a digital camera to bring on the trails with me. i can't really afford to spend more than 400, i'd like to keep it under 300 if possible. i need something that's good for taking riding shots (duh). the hardest thing to deal with on most cameras is the shutter lag; it always makes taking a action shot more difficult, so a short lag time is one of the key things i'm looking for. so give me some suggestions please. what are you guys using to take pics?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
All cameras in that price range have a certain amount of shutter lag. It's unavoidable.

Also, if you're looking to take a camera out on the trails a lot, knock about 30% off your upper limit for the price of the camera. IMO, if you spend every last dime you've got on a camera, you're either going to be too scared to bring it into the woods, or, if it breaks, you're going to be really really angry.

Other than that, look into the Canon A series, or the Nikon 3000 series. You can probably score an A70 for $250 online. Olympus makes the D-580 which is comperable to those.

http://www.mpsuperstore.com/digital/discr79450.htm

There's a refurbished A70, full manufacturer's warrenty, for $182.95. If you break it, hey, you only spent half your budget and you can buy another one.

Sony makes good cameras as well, the P series (DSC-P52, DSC-P73) cameras are excellent.

Really, as I said before in another post, a lot of the choice at this level of camera comes down to ergonomics, aesthetics, and menu layout. If you pick one up and it feels good in your hand, fits in your pocket, and has a sensible menu layout - buy it. Sony, Nikon, Olympus and Canon all make excellent cameras.

Lots of other choices out there too, of course, but I have had bad experiences with both Casio and Kodak lenses - avoid those brands.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
pixelninja said:
Go to http://www.dpreview.com and start comparing specs.
Yeah, DP Review is an excellent site. Especially since they have a lot of objective statistics/pictures that you can draw your own conclusions from rather than relying on the subjective opinions of the reviewer.

However, I think that at this level of camera, the specs are pretty similar and the shot-to-shot times are not different enough to warrent a lot of in depth studying. There might be a 1x give or take in zoom, or a .2-.4 difference in max aperture, but in the end the ergonomics/layout (shape, menu structure, layout of buttons) ends up making a much bigger difference in the usability of the camera then the minor tweaks in the specs.

In the price bracket $200 or so above this, you find major discrepancies in specs or lens quality and those are definitly worth comparing the minor details on.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Oh hey man, I just asked this last week actually. I did some research. Really like the Nikons and Canons, but the thing about Olympus I liked was some had 10x optical zoom. Seems like the most that other cameras had was around 3x or so.

Check out the A70, or A75. I think both have the manual shutter speed feature so they should be good enough. I've found plenty of those cameras on ebay for $200. I also found a camera on craigslist (A75) for $230 I believe, brand new. He'd throw in a 128mb card for $250 total... or might have been 64. I forget. Let me know if you want that guy's email, I decided I wanted to invest in body armor instead.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Careful of eBay cameras. Most of them are greymarket and they don't come with warrenties.

The 10x zoom Olympus (C series - I've got a lot of time with a C-740) is a fantastic camera but it's pricier than $200-300.

Also, the constant problem with all high zoom digital cameras, you get some chromatic abberation (purple fringing). It makes a great wildlife or sporting event camera though because of the zoom. I've used the 1.7x telephoto with it too, which increases the C.A. a bit but gives you one hell of a zoom lens (500+ mm equivalent).

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Hm, I've seen alot of the cameras on ebay sayin that they do have a years warranty? Explain greymarket? Thought I saw some of the C series for under 300.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
DLo said:
Hm, I've seen alot of the cameras on ebay sayin that they do have a years warranty? Explain greymarket? Thought I saw some of the C series for under 300.
http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Grey_market

That's a much better definition then the one I was going to give you.

Many items bought off eBay are "brown boxed", that is, they are not the manufacturer's packaging or are missing components in the box. Sometimes, you don't even find it out until you get it. Keep an eye out for that, and ask explicitly if it is in the sealed manufacturer's box with full warrenty and retail contents.

A year's warranty could mean different things. Perhaps it does come with the manufacturer's warranty. However, it could also mean that the place selling it to you will "warranty" the greymarket goods - that is, they will take it back and ship it through their legal channels to the manufacturer. It might work out fine. However, internet businesses not being the most stable things, what if the company goes out of business? Most electronics companies are unlikely to be sympathetic to your problem.