Quantcast

good DJ bike?

Oct 3, 2003
Denver, CO
Hey, im looking to get a good HT for Dj and some urban, i want to spend under 1000. also which is better dual 24" or dual 26" or is it even really that big of a deal. any suggestions would be great, sorry im sure someone has already asked this

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
my urban bike is a P1. got it new for 500 bones. they dont come with front brakes so i bought an avid mech. for it bringing total cost up to about 600 bucks. i ride urban on it and dirt jumps as well as parks and i love it. as far as the wheels go i would recommend going dual 26 or dual 24. the specifics are pointless between the two but i think for dirt jumping havin the smaller wheel in the back seems to pitch me one way or the other front to back. maybe i just suck though. i love my P1.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I rode a p2 around my LBS the other day & it felt good. It was a L though & kinda big & heavy. Everyone thats got one seems to love it.

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
i got a p.2 and i love it. it is rather heavy but it's soooo sweet, but it's components suck. especially the fork. i'm like 120 pounds and i'm about to break it...i think. i would suggest the new '04 kona stuff. it's about $900.

RaceFace2040

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
austin tejas
spend the money on a p2 and uprage the fork, pedals, rear brake and seat then u will have a KILLER hardtail. I have a p2 with a sherman firefly and it OWNS. just dont ride the stock fork for dirt jumps, my arch snapped, locked up my fornt wheel and i caught my wrist on the broken arch and had to get 7 stiches:(

Oct 3, 2003
Denver, CO
that sucks...yeah i think thats what im gonna do, save a little longer get a p.2 replace fork brakes and pedals, and probably throw a evil srs guide on it

Mtbkngrl

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
Rochester NY
Or get an 04 Kona stuff for 200 bucks more and you won't have to spend 600 bucks upgrading because Specialized sucks.

Where is Austin Tejas anyway?

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
If I were to get back in to mountain bikes, it would likely be in the urban/dj area. Why? Because I live in central Indiana, and mountains are hard to come by.

So, I ask. Is it worthwhile to buy a mountain bike to do the things that I already use my BMX ride to do? Maybe if I lived in North Carolina again or something, this would be an easy question to answer. I'd be bombing down the sides of mountains all day and riding the skateparks and such all night. :devil:

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
what about a surley? You can get a single speed street set up for like $800 or a .243 you can get for about the same.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
so your breakout has 1.5 and 7in of travel? or is one with less travel?

i would say get the .243 if you can afford it. i think i saw one with a 1.5 Head tube once

RAcErX336

Chimp
Sep 21, 2002
Allen, Texas
I have solved your Dilemma, Get a P.1, ride it till you wreck the fork. Make sure you wreck the fork in the first year though so it can be warrentied. On the warranty ask for a DJ2 and pay the Difference. My Difference was about $150 with QR20 and a new front wheel laced to a new hub. Then use your own money to trick the rest of the bike out to how you like it . . :) Seriosuly tho, I love my p.1 man.

Also look into buying a good used HT frame. I picked up a DMR sidekick on here for $120 bucks. When I was done building it I had about $550 in it and I love it, I almsost prefer to ride it over my P.1. Their both great bikes. And yea singlespeed rule, both my bikes are singlespeeds.

- Andrew

Oct 3, 2003
Denver, CO
cool thanx for the suggestions, yeah hopefully ill be able to get enough to get like a p.2 just to get a little better package. but i thinking thats what im gonna do.

RaceFace2040

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
austin tejas
the 2004 p1's have a crappy chaintensioner and a non singlespeed hub, drivtrain dosnt feel good at all, the new p2s are cool, i like the paint job, just be carefull with the fork, ussually the steaer tube will just bend(can mess up the headset) or it could break at the brake arch like mine:mad: but my fiends scrap was barrely ridable after a week, mess up bottom bracket, headset messed up, wheels came out of true right away, some of the higher end konas seem good though.

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
P.1 - $475, after tax.
Marzocchi DJ3 - $150
Avid Levers - $25
Raceface Bashingring - $25
Front Hayes - $40
1 set of Kujo DH and Maxxis High Rollers - $20

Grand Total: $735

**** me, i've spent 735 already?? jesus. Actually, DJ3 didn't really cost me 150, more like 40 cause I sold my other fork to get that. So it's more like 625.

or, if you browse teamplanetx.com, you can swoop in some badass deals that they occasionally have....such as jack flash classic, Fox Vanilla RL 125, pig headest, and headlock for $450 bucks :)

I can never bring myself to like the Kona Hardtails. Ive test ridden each of them at the local shop along with the p2 at another and i am convinced the P2 is betta. So much more maneuverable. Go with the P2. Its a better deal too.

dream4est

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
hey misfitslacker if you want to try my p.1 pm me and come out to gunbarrel some time. i have a 03 dj3 and a hayes mech disc on the front; otherwise its stock and it is sweet. and i know the bike store guys that will get you a 04 p.1 and swap out the fork for something better. the p.1 with a real fork is the ultimate dj bike: cheap, strong and reliable. of course there are many good ht's out there but why pay big bucks when they all perform similar? if you are gonna pull a russ morrell and huck disregard my advice and go steel frame with a super t fork like the master himself.