Quantcast

Good Elbow Pads that dont slide up in crash

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
I have been using the 661 Evo 3Do elbow pads for about 6 months now, I have had 2 recent crashes that have left my elbows in a bloody mess. seems like these pads slide up in any high speed accident where any sliding is involved

anyone used anything new recently for arm protection that rocks?

Really keen to hear if anyone has crash tested the POC joint VPD pads yet too

zzsean

Chimp
Jun 29, 2007
Boulder, CO
Haven't heard anything first hand about the POC's, but if reports on their VPD kneepads are any indication they shouldn't budge (and protection on them is top notch).
I ride the POC VPD elbows are they are the most comfortable, never move elbow I have used. I haven't heard great reports about their knees, but the elbows are perfection.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I ride the POC VPD elbows are they are the most comfortable, never move elbow I have used.

Good to know. I just got a bunch of tattoo work on my elbow/forearm and am in the market for elbow pads to prevent the need for touch ups! lol

I haven't heard great reports about their knees, but the elbows are perfection.
really? everyone i've talked to that has them has nothing but good things to say. Just to clarify I am referring to the VPD knee pads as well. What kind of issues were you hearing about?

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
plenty of highspeed bails on my 661 Race elbow guards.. they never slide anywhere, and protect just as they should.

the trick is to wear a long sleeve jersey over your elbow pads!

zzsean

Chimp
Jun 29, 2007
Boulder, CO
Good to know. I just got a bunch of tattoo work on my elbow/forearm and am in the market for elbow pads to prevent the need for touch ups! lol

really? everyone i've talked to that has them has nothing but good things to say. Just to clarify I am referring to the VPD knee pads as well. What kind of issues were you hearing about?
VPD as well. I was surprised as well as the elbows are just so damn good and I am still trying to get good knees that protect above the knee a little. I was hearing that they moved to easily and had comfort issues - but this is second hand, I haven't even pulled a pair on as they are hard to find without ordering. Now that QBP is carrying them it should be easier to find a pair.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I smeared rings of silicon in my Evo's to help with the sliding. Prior to this, my elbow pads would become wrist pads if I went down a continuous rough section.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
VPD as well. I was surprised as well as the elbows are just so damn good and I am still trying to get good knees that protect above the knee a little. I was hearing that they moved to easily and had comfort issues - but this is second hand, I haven't even pulled a pair on as they are hard to find without ordering. Now that QBP is carrying them it should be easier to find a pair.
I know that with the vpd knee pads that sizing is absolutely crucial, so the issues could have been from improper sizing. I've heard that POC is pretty good about answering email, so if you have sizing questions drop them a line and they should get you taken care of.

Good to know that QBP is carrying them now. Dunno of many shops that would stock $100 kneepads tho

zzsean

Chimp
Jun 29, 2007
Boulder, CO
where did you purchase yours?
what size did you get?
I got my pair from Chain Reaction Cycles and then I got a pair for my wife from a local dealer in Golden, CO that was the POC dealer. They are now showing in QBP as out of stock so hopefully that means they are going to be more commonly available. I may end up getting some VPD knees to try from the guys at The Fix Bike shop once they are available.

They only come in one size but the straps are easy to adjust and have a wide range and stay adjusted. My Wife and I both ride them and her forearms are smaller than mine (she is also super picky about things that irritate or move while riding).

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
I got my pair from Chain Reaction Cycles and then I got a pair for my wife from a local dealer in Golden, CO that was the POC dealer. They are now showing in QBP as out of stock so hopefully that means they are going to be more commonly available. I may end up getting some VPD knees to try from the guys at The Fix Bike shop once they are available.

They only come in one size but the straps are easy to adjust and have a wide range and stay adjusted. My Wife and I both ride them and her forearms are smaller than mine (she is also super picky about things that irritate or move while riding).
sounds like you're talking abouut the shin guards.

Anyways here's a pic of the redesigned 2010 POC Joint VDP Knee Pads. The 2009's worked great. More protection in 2010.

Not much luck with the 2009 shinguards,

These are new for 2010.

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
I smeared rings of silicon in my Evo's to help with the sliding. Prior to this, my elbow pads would become wrist pads if I went down a continuous rough section.
cross the straps on the elbows. seems to work for me. had the same problem with them sliding down before as well. but once you cross the straps they stay put.

Orfen

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
UP, michigan
CR shows them as available in both Large OR Small

at $100 a pair - you better make sure you know what size you need huh? :think:

EDIT: are you referring to the JOINT or BONE elbow pad?

Last edited:

zzsean

Chimp
Jun 29, 2007
Boulder, CO
CR shows them as available in both Large OR Small

at $100 a pair - you better make sure you know what size you need huh? :think:

EDIT: are you referring to the JOINT or BONE elbow pad?
Bone Arm. I love them.

My wife and I both wear Large (She is 5' 4", 140lbs, I am 6'0: 185lbs) I am close to the widest adjustment and she is close to the narrowest adjustment).

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
Just so yopu know, this is my 2nd pair of 661 evo elbows, firstly had large and they would slide down when riding the ruff stuff and cut myslef up DJ'ing when I slid down a transition as the pads slid up, now have medium and don't slide down when riding, but still slide up when crashing. Very annoying, considering the price of these pads!!