Quantcast

Good Experience with Pearl Izumi

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by canadmos, Jul 13, 2012.

1. canadmos

canadmos Mater Slayer

Rep/Likes:
    237 / 4,431
    Last week after a lengthy ride, I took a look at the bottom of my shoes and found a crack on the sole plate near the cleat. I knew the damage was cause by the pedal and I have been using the shoes for what must be over two years now, but decided to see if Pearl Izumi would consider doing a warranty claim on them.

These are the shoes: http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/content/pi_2010/us/en/index/home_middle_nav/ride/men/0/0/mtb_footwear.-productCode-15111008.html

Normally when I email a company about something like this, I almost always expect to get no response. It just seems to be that way with a lot of companies these days. However, after sending the initial email asking about the warranty, I recieved a response only 2 hours later asking for pictures.

Three days later, I finally got around to taking a really crappy picture and sent it off.

Only 14 minutes later, I had this reply (which shocked me..);

To which I replied with,
    And he replied again, within 15 minutes;
    Which brings me to the point of this thread, I guess. That quick of a response is refreshing to see after so many failed attempts of contacting other companies, with what were more serious concerns about failed product.

These shoes rock. I use them for everything and I love that they have some tread for when I'm off the bike. Other than that crack in the sole, there is only one other spot on the shoe that is showing some real wear. One thing that really bothers me about a lot of shoes is how the shoe lace eyelets will often fail well before the life of the shoe is up. Not so on these. These are the only bike shoes I own and they get used on all of my cross country type rides and also on downhill rides. They shrugged off countless weekends of rainy Bromont like nothing.

Another thing I'm curious about is if other people have had similar cracks in their shoes after using Crank Brothers pedals for an extended period of time. It is quite clear where the 'wings' of the pedal sit put pressure on the shoe. These aren't the first pair of shoes that I've had crack like this.

Wow what a long and almost pointless post. I need another beer..

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ALEXIS_DH

ALEXIS_DH Tirelessly Awesome

Rep/Likes:
    19 / 108
    well. truth be told, pearl izumi makes some of the best quality stuff i´ve ever used. the best gloves i´ve ever had were PI. anything PI was very high quiality and had perfect fit and lasted for very long.

there is no longer a pearl izumi dealer in peru, but their stuff is so good; i order their stuff in the US and have it shipped to my house.

3. Jeremy R

Jeremy R <b>x</b>

Rep/Likes:
    43 / 372
    Customer service is funny. He basically just told you to piss off, but he did not ignore you. He told you to piss off in a prompt and friendly manner, and that is all we really want. ;)

And to answer your question, No. My crank brothers pedals always died LONG LONG before any of my shoes could crack.

4. Pesqueeb

Pesqueeb bicycle in airplane hangar

Rep/Likes:
    437 / 3,179
    I've had the same carbon sole PI shoes for probably pretty close to three years, and have never used any pedals there weren't Crank Bros. No issues here.

5. CBJ

CBJ Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    92 / 1,188
    Jeremy has help me a couple of time and if its their fault I am sure they will help you and Jeremy really knows their products. PI has some of the best service of any company I have dealt with ever.

6. JohnE

JohnE filthy rascist

Rep/Likes:
    147 / 641
    I love PI stuff, expensive but worth it. Lasts forever (Never tried the shoes...) and looks cool too. And hearing good customer service stories (Like my Thomson experience...) just makes it more better...

7. ALEXIS_DH

ALEXIS_DH Tirelessly Awesome

Rep/Likes:
    19 / 108
    so true.
    people just want a hug, even if its swiftly followed by a kick in the nuts.