Quantcast

good first DH bike?

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Motocrosser,
The fact that you have raced BMX, means that you are not really a total beginner, as you will have a lot of skill of flicking a bike around, also you have ridden motocross, so you will be comfortable in the air, and a heavy bike wont really bother you I feel.

If you buy new you can pick up last years Specialized Big Hit 3 for under 2 grand. If you feel downhill is something you are going to take seriously you should get a demo 7 or 8. if I was to do again I'd probably just get a demo. I find the big hit really hard to ride on anything but downhill. If you get a demo (with a dhx 5)with propedal it will be a bit easier to ride, ( have riden one and its really nice)

At 6'2" a size large Big Hit maybe a bit big, Im nearly 6'6 and ride a large and its fine....

If you think you want to cyle a bit rather than pure downhill, look at a second hand Santa Cruz vpfree, or intense UZZI, I guess over there in the states you can pick up on for a good price...

Thats my .02 worth but I was a real beginner, having to learn a lot of skill and stuff so the Big Hit absorbed my mistakes.. In my opinion considering your experience, if you get the big hit in a couple of weeks on the bike you will be a lot faster than lads on more expensive bikes. The main thing is you will really enjoy it!

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
Dont know the price, but how bout a Morewood?
Or, Trek Session10 (a little pricey, but a good bike)
GT DH-i Team
IronHorse Yakuza Kumicho
Kona Stamb
Cannondale Perp2

Thats just a few, I know theres a few more you would probably like for the money

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
a, he said he wanted a Dh rig right? I was just naming some off. Ya, I agree, something like a shova lt would be a perfect bike for someone into-ing into dh. Its a great all around bike. Good for beginers and advanced riders

Not for nuthin', but with his budget I'm surprised nobody has told him to look for an Iron Horse Yakuza or 7point5! It ain't glam, but it's one Hell of a lotta bike for the cash and you can find 'em everywhere for little dollars...

BT

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
blahblahblah konasux0rz

but seriously: ebay.com craigslist.com don't get something with a 63˚HA and a 12 inch BB

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
Not for nuthin', but with his budget I'm surprised nobody has told him to look for an Iron Horse Yakuza or 7point5! It ain't glam, but it's one Hell of a lotta bike for the cash and you can find 'em everywhere for little dollars...

BT
I put Yakuza Kumicho. Thats a sick bike