Quantcast

good form... dirt jumping that is.

Abs01ut

Chimp
Apr 17, 2005
K I need some help with my form dirt jumping, I can rhythm smaller sets pretty well but when it comes to bigger doubles I have a tendency to get sloppy and I get off balance in the air and crash. I only know how to really jump from experience, and I understand I am gonna need practice to get better but I suffered two really painful crashes, so I suppose that I am doing something wrong. I am not a beginner but maybe somebody can walk me through the right way to hit a line of jumps... that would be great!

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
pump the jumps or turn your bars a little bit, it helps to do something while your in the air to keep you centered and not dead sailoring it. it helps a ton give it a shot. also loosen up in the air dont ride stiff, flow with the bike and the jump this allows everything to be more natural and helps clear up your mind and its one less thing to worry about being stiff in the air (in a non sexual way)

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
staying centered on the bike is really important. on bigger doubles i have a tendancy to lean back and boost them doubles. but my front end will come way up because i lean back. then its loopy wreck time. Its best to stay centered over the top tube so you can tuck/ drop the front tire/ or bail to clear a set. having control over the front end is clutch in smooth djing. just watch out for putting the front tire into the backside of the landing (ouch)

Abs01ut

Chimp
Apr 17, 2005
I figure I get off balance after I have been hitting the jumps for awhile (maybe I just get tired and bonk or something), it only happens on those jumps you gotta pedal your ass off to clear (I don't have a prob clearing them, tho). Should I focus on a better pump through the jump? I try to do it well, but it seems I mess up while pumping, and I takeoff wrong and soar into oblivion. Also, where are your eyes (that is, what do you look at) when you are in the air? It all happens really fast and I guess I am just trying to figure out the right way to do this.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
maybe try hitting them slower? if theyre in the middle of some sets try to use the pump between doubles more than cranks to get speed for the bigger sets. try to nose in on the landings/ land both wheels at once to get the most out of your pump, plus to helps for balance. i keep my eyes on the landing

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
slower and higher might help you. my eyes are exactly like when dhing, on the next jumps face ahead of you. if you are looking right in front of you you are not prepared for that aspect meaning you have to work harder to make the landing and the next jump b/c you were unfocused in the air. if that made any sense

Abs01ut

Chimp
Apr 17, 2005
Dextreme we all know you can't ride, why are giving ME tips? sike, what's up. Yeah okay, so I guess I can work on boosting the jumps better and not pedaling as much, I do have good form in terms nosing my bike into the landing. Anything else?
Thanks, David

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
Use your knees when pumping. Compress them when you land, extend them through the tranny and off the face of the next jump.

cowboy-jeff

Chimp
Apr 19, 2005
Basel Switzerland
What do you mean by pumping the jumps? I find myself having to pedal between doubles, while other guys are just rolling to the next. Is it possible for someone to explain how to do this? Thanks. :stupid:

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
Pumping is, in short, pushing down on the bike down the backside of a transition. Kinda hard to explain. Bend your knees and elbows till the transition and start to stand up as you go through the transistion. This will cause the pump(acceleration) they speak of. A good way to practice is to go to a skatepark or bmx track see if how much of the park or track you can pump without pedaling. A lot easier to learn whey you are not jumping! You can also practice in concrete gullys or anyplace w/ rolling transistions. Good Luck!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
It's like getting a swing to move without someone pushing you, you get your weight forward when going down and move it back as you reach the lowest point of the curve so that gravity can pull you down as long as possible, when you start up the curve you pull your body back forward again so that gravity has as little effect as possible, or something along those lines. If you can find some whoops it's pretty easy to get the feel for pumping by trying to ride slowly into the whoops and literally pushing the bike up and over each whoop to keep from stalling.

cowboy-jeff

Chimp
Apr 19, 2005
Basel Switzerland
Thank's for the tips! I've been practicing 'the pump' for the last few days and it's really going much better. I can hit one set of doubles and then without pedaling make it over the next set. The speed is there for sure. Smooooth, oh yeah baby! Cheers.

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Yeah, i sometimes find that in the air i go to the side or something. It definately helps to pull a little x up or tweak your bike to the side a bit or just something. I still find that im getting kicked to the side. The jumps that i normally go to are kind of turning to **** in that they are just really lumpy and not nice and there are lots of loose rocks and stuff around them making it slippery. Could this also be a problem?

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
Ummmmm.........next time it rains grab a shovel and go to town on em. Take a broom and sweep all the loose stuff. When you spot your landing look where you want to go. I.e. when you see you are going to make your current landing look where you want to hit your next jump or path. You go where you look! You are probably still looking at the landing when your front wheel hits it. And relax! If you're not relaxed your bike will never go where you want it to. Good luck! Just practice and have fun!

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Yeah, i went to some other jumps a while away from me on train today. Really well made, good lips, everything great, cept the surface was slippery as. But yeah, i found i was jumping much better than i do on those crappy ones i have in my suburb. Also stepped up a notch in terms of size of jumps. So yeah, the build of the jump affects it also.