Quantcast

good frame weight for a trail bike

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm weighing my options here - build up a new bike, or buy a complete bike. Buying complete is obviously easier (and I suspect cheaper), but I'm a detail-aholic, so I'm really intersted in building my own bike. I've been looking at frames, and I'm curious to know what a decent frame weight would be for an all purpose trail bike (4-5" travel).

The Haro Werks XCS frame is only a 4" travel frame, and weighs 5.8lbs with Fox Float RC. That seems a bit high for a 4" travel frame. Haro was the first site I went to to look at frames. Giant, Cdale, Specialized, Kona and Jamis are also on the list.

I was thinking I'd like to stay right around 5lbs... is that reasonable? Is it still reasonable to hope that I could get a 5lbs, 4-5" travel frame for ~$700?

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by jacksonpt
I'm weighing my options here - build up a new bike, or buy a complete bike. Buying complete is obviously easier (and I suspect cheaper), but I'm a detail-aholic, so I'm really intersted in building my own bike. I've been looking at frames, and I'm curious to know what a decent frame weight would be for an all purpose trail bike (4-5" travel).

The Haro Werks XCS frame is only a 4" travel frame, and weighs 5.8lbs with Fox Float RC. That seems a bit high for a 4" travel frame. Haro was the first site I went to to look at frames. Giant, Cdale and Jamis are also on the list.

I was thinking I'd like to stay right around 5lbs... is that reasonable? Is it still reasonable to hope that I could get a 5lbs, 4-5" travel frame for ~$700?
I'm not too sure about the weight factors, but I do fully believe that the cheapest and smartest way to get the bike you want is to piece-meal it from various sites that are have sales and what-not...no taxes, better selections, and considerably cheaper prices....completes may look cheaper, but think about all those house brand compnents that really suck a$$ that you'd end up swaping out anyway...

just my $.02...

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown

to me a 5 lb f/s 5' frame seems pretty light.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Thanks for the link to speedgoat. They've got a lot of specs on lots of frames on that site... gave me some perspective. I was having a hard time finding frame weights, but now I have a better idea of what to expect.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Thanks for the link to speedgoat. They've got a lot of specs on lots of frames on that site... gave me some perspective. I was having a hard time finding frame weights, but now I have a better idea of what to expect.
yea i really wouldnt do much buying from them cuz their prices are mostly in line with your lbs BUT they've really got a lot of useful info on there.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My new hardtail came in at 3.2 LBS - a 5 LB 5" travel frame is not going to be cheap. I know where you can get an 18" 2002 NRS Air with Fox rear shock for $350.00 from a reputable dealer (my LBS). A friend of mine is swapping out after only 50 miles of use. He bought too big. No joke - he is a 60 year old dentist who jumps nothing - the frame is LIKE new. If anyone is intersested I can go get some pics.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Might throw in a look at a Titus Locomoto. (yeah, yeah, me and Spincrazy are both selling them, but this ain't spam...mine's built too heavy anyhow with coil shocks and stuff.)

They're like 5.5 lbs, too, tough enough for a lot of rowdy riding, look good, and cost like $1100 last time I checked. Personally, I like Titus geometry, too.

MD

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
I don't think that's reasonable for $700.

Mabye I'm wrong but you would probably have to spend double that for a 5lb frame. Most frames include the shock as part of the weight. A 6lb frame with shock would be fine for me for a durable trailbike.

Single pivot with air would probably be the lightest for the $. You won't catch me on a single pivot as an all-around trail bike, but it all depends on your own weight, trails, riding style and preferences.

Complete bikes are almost always cheaper. Go take a look at some sites selling jamis dakars, konas or giants online, and then price it yourself, with just a frame, and the best deals you can find on the same or similar components. Jamis in particular uses lots of high-end components on their bikes, I doubt you will come close to the same cost even if you get good deals on some of the major components on ebay or closeout at sites like jenson.

That said, I still prefer to buy just a frame and build it up myself, so I can run exactly what I want. But even with lots of great deals you will end up paying more. It's worth it if you're picky though. The next time I'm in the market I'll probably buy a complete bike and part out what I don't want on ebay. That seems to be the best method for the $ but is time-consuming.

Thylacine

Monkey
May 9, 2002
Steve Irwins Bungalow
A 4 or 5" travel trail bike frame is going to weight anywhere between 5.5 - 6.5lbs depending on size and shock. I mean, a Blur, ID and a 5-Spot are different bikes but are lumped in the same category, so you see the problem. I wouldn't get too hung up on weight, though, coz its largely irrelevant.

As for options, I wouldn't touch a Giant NRS. They're horrid, harsh bikes and aren't what I'd conside a trailbike. I'm a high end snob so I can't really advise you on what frames are a good option, but yeah, I've ridden the Blur and the Locomoto and think they're nice options in the lower end semi boutique area. A Locomoto with a Swinger Air would be interesting... or you could always get a 5-Spot :) Or maybe a Maverick ML-7! Heh heh.