Quantcast

Good Idea,Bad Idea?

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Hey Guys quick question. I have a Brand New wheel,never ran. I loved the Hope DH4 brake and built a wheel for it. Had the brake for a long time. When It came time to mount it to DC Fork,the Hose was to short. question is: Can I dis assemble the wheel and lace it to another rim? Same company(Arrow)32 hole Free Ride Rim,much lighter though,and it will match the rear rim of another Bike.

Hope Bigun, old school 20mm Hub
WheelSmith 13 gauge DH Spokes. 32 hole,3 cross
Brass Nipples
Arrow DH Rim

Want to buy a Arrow FR Rim with the above In it.

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Why not just get a longer brake line?
I knew that was coming,I was going to edit but did not.

Reason being,I run Shimano.

I always like the Feel of that Hope,so I built a wheel as Hope and Shimy are very different Shim wise. I want‘Ed to flip the Brake and Wheel and go. I ran the Brake with a single crown,shiming like Fuck. So I said I will put the the right Hub on there for her. I never got did get the longer hose,just put back the Saints. I ran a single and double Fork on the same bike. The other wheel is the exact same but the King 20mm.

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Where are you going to find an Arrow FR rim?
I did a search a while back and saw new ones,I guess old stock online. I think it was Jenson. I will do more work on it. I just wanted thoughts. I can Run the Wheel on the Bike,not a problem,and it is the same Brand. It is a Tank of a wheel though,Tonka Tuff. Was hoping to Have the same weight front rear.

Avy

well,found 24 “,not much luck otherwise. I put in a few emails,if no luck on them,oh well. It is the OCD in me,I want it to match. I’ll check e bay,hate that.

Avy

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I did a search a while back and saw new ones,I guess old stock online. I think it was Jenson. I will do more work on it. I just wanted thoughts. I can Run the Wheel on the Bike,not a problem,and it is the same Brand. It is a Tank of a wheel though,Tonka Tuff. Was hoping to Have the same weight front rear.

Avy

well,found 24 “,not much luck otherwise. I put in a few emails,if no luck on them,oh well. It is the OCD in me,I want it to match. I’ll check e bay,hate that.

Avy
Good luck Avy, I am a fan of the Arrow rims also. My DJ rear wheel is an Arrow laced to a Chris King SS hub... if I could have found oregon made spokes and nipples I would have built the whole wheel out of Oregon made parts.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have some wheels with Arrow FR rims, they are so narrow, why would you want to run them? I don't think I could even touch the side lugs when I ran a Conti Der Kaiser, hahaha!
Pretty odd timing as I looked a couple of weeks back to see if they had re tooled and moved on to making those fancy new 27.5" rims.
He has an Ebay store, still has some Arrow frames for sale too.

EDIT- Yeah, no 26" rims in stock, I thought there was last time I looked.
Double Edit- Yeah I have taped two rims together and moved the spokes across to the new rim, wasn't too bad to do.

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I have some wheels with Arrow FR rims, they are so narrow, why would you want to run them? I don't think I could even touch the side lugs when I ran a Conti Der Kaiser, hahaha!
Pretty odd timing as I looked a couple of weeks back to see if they had re tooled and moved on to making those fancy new 27.5" rims.
He has an Ebay store, still has some Arrow frames for sale too.

EDIT- Yeah, no 26" rims in stock, I thought there was last time I looked.
Double Edit- Yeah I have taped two rims together and moved the spokes across to the new rim, wasn't too bad to do.
For some Dumb Ass reason years ago,I did not build the Front wheel. I do know that the Rear was about 560 Dollars naked. I went with Hadley Hub(Favorite)with the Ti conversion kit,same spoke and nipples Arrow FR Rim,Shit was Expensive,mabye over 6 Hun?

Then I built the Hope Rim as that was my main ride. The other was a Project,thought Arrow would be there Forever?

I have a Maxis Tire on there now,seems fine? They are Narrow,but Very Strong. Actually,I have No Time on the FR,but Years on the DH,so I thought the FR would be just as Strong?

HardTail,did you have bad luck with the FR?

Avy

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I had years on an Arrow DH rim laced to a Woodman Bill SS hub. I couldn't hurt that rim if I tried. It was so heavy though. I finally sold it years ago when I found someone selling an FR rim on le pinkbike! Built it up and stuck it back in the DJ. I run the FR out of sentimentality honestly. It's badass, haha.