Quantcast

Good indoor trainer

peterelli

Chimp
Dec 3, 2004
Central Maryland
Anyone have any favorite indoor trainer. So many brands, etc. Been out of touch for awhile and don't know what is working. I like the fluid with "auto resistance" as you change gears/cadence.

Any help on models and of course where to get the deal.

Budget under $300

Thanks

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
cyclops- fluid- $300- best warranty i've found. i've broken the axle that your qr is clamped by and they didn't question it when i sent it back...

peterelli

Chimp
Dec 3, 2004
Central Maryland
Used the rollers before, with little luck, just me!

Had better luck with a rear mount trainer.

Anyone use other brands than Cycleops. Kurt? 1up?

Thanks for the help

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
peterelli said:
Used the rollers before, with little luck, just me!

Had better luck with a rear mount trainer.

Anyone use other brands than Cycleops. Kurt? 1up?

Thanks for the help

I used blackburn for a little while, but even though they have a "lifetime warranty" i had 2 different fluid units warrantied in one season... just say I didn't have many base miles that year.

It worked well, just sucked that in the 4 months I needed it, it was gone most the time

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
peterelli said:
Anyone have any favorite indoor trainer. So many brands, etc. Been out of touch for awhile and don't know what is working. I like the fluid with "auto resistance" as you change gears/cadence.

Any help on models and of course where to get the deal.

Budget under $300

Thanks
Cycleops has a magnetic trainer w/ progressive resistence...around 225$. I works well for me, plus if you get the Trek version, it's the same thing, only it says Trek on it and costs less. It's, made by cycleops as well. Same deal for the Fluid trainers.

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
Cyclops fluid 2 is the quietest and smoothest I've ever ridden at $299. It has progressive resistance that is seamless so it is a very smooth ride. The cheaper version in the magneto which is about $229ish and it has the same feel but its not quite as smooth or quiet, but still a very good trainer for less money. So I would say go with the fluid 2 just because it is that much better, but your not losing out really with the magneto.

goneskiian

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
I've had really good luck with the Fluid model from Performance. In fact the first Cyclops I had (actually still have) went through three fluid units before I got sick of all the down time and bought the Performance model while waiting for the last cyclops fluid unit. Haven't had trouble with it since (probably because I use the Performance one most of the time now).

Rollers? I've heard Kreitler (sp?) are very good. I tried them for a couple months one winter and could only ride for a half hour or so before my hands went numb from the death grip I had on the bars. That was a few years ago though and my spin is much better now so I might give them a try again sometime. I have a buddy who's a trackie and can ride them no handed while he rearranges his tool board in his garage!

Cheers!
-Ian