Quantcast

Good joke on IT Security

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would put this in The Lounge, but only the geeks will appreciate this:

One day I left my office to go the bathroom, and when I get back, some one had "screensaver locked" my computer. I unlock it, and there was a message in huge letters from IT Security to always lock my computer.

I hate people who touch my computer when I am not there (they could fat finger something and f8ck up my work), so to teach them a lesson, I captured a couple of screenshots of my desktop and used them for my screensaver (I did set my idle time to one minute as well). It looks just like an unlocked desktop, with a bunch of terminal windows and email clients.

Today, I just heard I caught someone trying to lock my desktop. He was pissed when he realized it was already locked.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
sanjuro said:
I would put this in The Lounge, but only the geeks will appreciate this:

One day I left my office to go the bathroom, and when I get back, some one had "screensaver locked" my computer. I unlock it, and there was a message in huge letters from IT Security to always lock my computer.

I hate people who touch my computer when I am not there (they could fat finger something and f8ck up my work), so to teach them a lesson, I captured a couple of screenshots of my desktop and used them for my screensaver (I did set my idle time to one minute as well). It looks just like an unlocked desktop, with a bunch of terminal windows and email clients.

Today, I just heard I caught someone trying to lock my desktop. He was pissed when he realized it was already locked.
That's great! Most hilarious!
We used to do something similar to people here. If you left your workstation unlocked at lunch we would change your colors, icons, etc. (Bear in mind that we work for an HMO. An unlocked PC can mean unlocked patient data. Very personal and private) So one day this guy leaves his PC unlocked at lunch. So we took a screen shot of his desktop, with his windows open and such. We set that screenshot as his desktop wallpaper. We then took all his real icons and placed them in a folder on the desktop and then hid it. He was clicking around getting pissed for like 20 minutes before we told him what we did.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ciaran said:
That's great! Most hilarious!
We used to do something similar to people here. If you left your workstation unlocked at lunch we would change your colors, icons, etc. (Bear in mind that we work for an HMO. An unlocked PC can mean unlocked patient data. Very personal and private) So one day this guy leaves his PC unlocked at lunch. So we took a screen shot of his desktop, with his windows open and such. We set that screenshot as his desktop wallpaper. We then took all his real icons and placed them in a folder on the desktop and then hid it. He was clicking around getting pissed for like 20 minutes before we told him what we did.
Nice One!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ciaran said:
We set that screenshot as his desktop wallpaper. We then took all his real icons and placed them in a folder on the desktop and then hid it. He was clicking around getting pissed for like 20 minutes before we told him what we did.
I did the same thing, but just right clicked the desktop > Arrange Icons By > uncheck Show Desktop Icons to hide them all, but keep them there.

Opening a browser and going to a really lame site before the screen cap is a nice touch to this.

I also used to install this cool little app that randomly switches the mouse button assignments from right handed to left and back every couple of minutes.

:evil:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I played a great joke on the head of I.T. the other day...

...I nailed his wife. You shoulda seen the look on his face! :evil:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
binary visions said:
I played a great joke on the head of I.T. the other day...
...I nailed his wife. You shoulda seen the look on his face! :evil:
The jokes on you. That wasn't his wife. That was him. :devil:

(j/k)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ciaran said:
The jokes on you. That wasn't his wife. That was him. :devil:
No, but it was his name that I bribed my buddy at the clinic to put on the paternity test...