Quantcast

Good Lightweight XC Rims

trialsboy50

Monkey
Nov 23, 2004
I've got a set of DT Hugi Hubs, hopefully to build into a lightwhere XC SS wheelset. I need some rim choices, cheap and strong. I've used Mavic, Sun, and Alex before, Mavic being pretty good but too $$ for this project.

Thanks
Byron

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
One of my early bikes had Bontrager Mustang rims that I gave a friend probably 3 years ago - he still rides them so I guess they where OK. I have used Mavic 517s for many years and found them to be reliable.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
trialsboy50 said:
I've got a set of DT Hugi Hubs, hopefully to build into a lightwhere XC SS wheelset. I need some rim choices, cheap and strong. I've used Mavic, Sun, and Alex before, Mavic being pretty good but too $$ for this project.

Thanks
Byron
I have a 2000 S-works wheel set which has DT hugi hubs and I think mavic 517 rims/??? just guessing. I'd have to go all the way to the garage to confirm...

My wheelset comes in at 1480 grams. It's uber pimp. Bought those suckers on e-bay for 200$ four years ago.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have had decent luck with Bontrager Valiant rims. I did flat spot two of them but they both were in situations on rough downhills where the tire got destroyed and I hit the rim directly on to sharp rocks. That being said Mavic 717s kick ass.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
indieboy said:
the new DT rims and Stan's rims both look very impressive
Looking impressive and performing well are two different things. Any experience with them? The Stans rims scare me because they lack eyelets which I beleive forces you to run lower spoke tension. High spoke tension means a good wheel in my experience.

Aug 27, 2004
I would go with the mavic 517's if you can find them. But i myself am looking at building a cheap set of wheels with sun UFO rims...light and cheap. My wheel set is going to come in at about 1525 grams....

peace