Quantcast

Good lord when will the wrists stop hurting?!

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
I've always had much respect for the beatings that bmx riders take. Now I've gone from respecting those beatings to taking them. Ouch.

I bought a Nyquist R24 several weeks ago. Threw a pair of pegs and a E13 sprocket and bashguard on it and proceeded to pound it and myself best I could.

Got two 2-3 hour rides in on it now. First was a street ride. Got my feebles looking pretty good on a nice low flat ledge. Nothing major. Wrists and sore biceps took 3 days to heal up.

Rode in the skatepark Sunday. I still can't make a tight fist with my right hand. Something is wrong. And I never even crashed on that wrist. I really learned to appreciate smoothness though riding the park. Got 2 really nice looking feebles across and down the pyramid (out of many many tries). What a feeling when you really stick one! Played in the halfpipe a bit, but didn't attempt to drop in or get out. Fun day - but pain since.

All in all this bmx bike has been a success. I'm learning smoothness to a degree like never before, just like I planned. It should pay off on the mtb this season. I just wish I had the recovery ability of my younger self, I'd ride it more. I don't think I'll ride the bmx much during the warm season for fear of the beatings taking me off the mtb for a week or more. We'll see. Definately a great skill builder and great way to be riding and progressing during the winter lockdown months around here!

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
If you're really having chronic wrist problems, you might consider new bars and grips.

I had trouble with mine all the time, and then I switched to a bar with more backsweep and some big cushy grips, and I've been golden ever since. I use Terrible One medium bars and Shadow Conspiracy team grips.

Now if I could just get my lower back to stop aching after every ride...

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
My wrist problems are not new, just exaggerated by riding bmx. Not due to the impacts of riding a rigid bike so much, but more from the repeated quick, powerful yanking up of the front end while riding this way. Kinda why I stopped riding urban on my heavy mtb several years ago. That yanking just pulls my wrists apart. My grip and forearms are pretty strong so i don't really know what to do but to slowly hope the wrists condition themselves. Since it's not a muscle issue I'm guessing they won't/can't get better. Do most wrist guards just limit movement to prevent injury when falling? Is there anything that can keep my hand from feeling like it's being pulled from my arm? That's what I need.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
Those wrist gaurds may help. I rode a rigid px knifen fork on my street bike for close to a month while my fork was away for warranty... at first my wrists/bicepts were killing me. Eventually you figure out how to land by trasfering more impact throught your legs than arms. and landing "trials style" (rear wheel b4 front, then you eaze the front down). My only advice is to stick it out. Take breaks when it starts to hurt so you dont do any real damage. Good luck!

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I just got the new Fox catalog and Nate Wessel ( A bmx legend) has some gloves in there meant to support your wrists. The look really good, not sure if you can find them online but they have a 3 inch clarino strap to lend support.

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
Get some of that athletic tape that football players use, you can get it at any drugstore. Just LOOSELY (unless you want your hand to turn blue) wrap it a few times around your wrist, it helps a ton. NFL players use it for a reason. I don't see them using EVS wristguards...:cool:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i've been working on trials stuff for a few weeks now. landing wrong is killer on my left wrist. i'm hoping this pain goes away. if not, i've been told by others to get checked out for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, which will suck. after like 10mins on the Zebdi now, i have problems opening a door. XC bike is fine till i really start pulling with my arms.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by Leethal
I just got the new Fox catalog and Nate Wessel ( A bmx legend) has some gloves in there meant to support your wrists. The look really good, not sure if you can find them online but they have a 3 inch clarino strap to lend support.
I did R&D on those gloves and have been using them for 1 1/2 years, they rule for bad wrists, You need to torque them on tight up high, right around your actual wrist bones, if you put them farther down your arm they will give you arm pump. The first time I used them I had a gnarly sprained wrist and couldn't even ride, I got a proto-type pair form my buddy at fox and once I had 'em super tight I couldn't even feel any pain at all. I now have the production model and they rule. only like $35 bucks or so. get some. Other wise once you pummel your wrists into fine bone powder the pain will go away, it is those sharp splinters of bone that you are feeling.:D It takes time to adjust to riding rigid, you'll get it.

Sep 17, 2003
your wrists will never stop hurting and will only get worse. learn to enjoy the pain...feel it....pain is just weakness leaving the body.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by crashedupderby
your wrists will never stop hurting and will only get worse. learn to enjoy the pain...feel it....pain is just weakness leaving the body.
I just hit myself in the face with a 20lb sledge when my wrists hurt, not only does it distract you, but like he said it purges that gawd-awful weakness at an accelerated rate. I figure any day now I should be fresh out of weakness and completely "wussy free".

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Originally posted by Mattoid
Eventually you figure out how to land by trasfering more impact throught your legs than arms...
What he said, but I would even say that on a rigid bike you should absorb virtually everything through your legs. Now I've only had my 20" for a few weeks and I don't do anything involving much air on it but I try to just use my hands to guide the front end but stay more of less centered on the pedals for landings. This way I feel pretty much no impact. Although I find this much easier to do on a 20" rather than a 24". Oh and I also run the thicker ODI rogue grips, some gloves with a little padding, and only 40 psi in the front tire. I was worried about wrist problems but it has been smooth sailing so far :D