Quantcast

~~Good Monday Morning!!~~

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
MMcG said:
Tigg - what was your race course like? Details! And once again - way to kick ass!!
Since it was my first race, I don't have much for comparison. But when they call Plattelkill "the mountain that moves with you", they aren't kidding!

Lots of shale made for some pretty sketchy, loose decents! Started off with a pretty tame decent through the woods on singletrack, where some pedaling was required. That section had lots of little jumps here and there, and ended with a 3' drop to a downed log you had to clear into a hair-pin right turn, that went right into a hair-pin left. That popped us out onto a section of double-track that was pretty steep and all shale, which made it real squirrly. This double-track decent had 3, 2' stepdowns as well. At the botom of that, was a small up hill that popped us out onto a ski trail which zig-zagged a couple times, and then dove back into the woods right down this gnarly ledge section. Down the ledeges and a banked right brough us through some tight trees to a 4' drop out onto anther ski trail. Straight across that ski trail went right back into the woods and onto the mountain cross course. Berms everywhere to rail!! Lots of fun in this section!! Our (sport/beginner) had an "around" the 12' road gap that the pro/experts were nailing and kept cruizing throught berms down to a steep roller than turn left and set you up for a small tabletop that went right into a small double. After the double it was a hard right back into the woods and onto the ladder that you see in my pics. The drop on that ladder was only about 2 foot, but with the speed you're carrying, I landed with my front wheel on the dirt at the bottom of the wooden tranny. After that ladder drop it was straight and into a hard left with a huge wall-ride and into the finish.

It was TONS of fun!!!! :devil:

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Morning! Today I am:
1.) Studying for all 3 finals and taking one of them tonight (other 2 are tomorrow then I'm done!)
2.) Getting my car back from the shop (timing belt broke while on I-90, NOT A FUN EXPERIENCE)
3.) Looking for a new job so I can pay for:
a.) my new car
b.) my new house
c.) my new cell phone (we aren't paying for a land line)
Have a happy Monday :)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
hooples3 said:
wow thats crazy.. im gonna re-check every bolt for a few weeks.....
I will be at mountain creek on sunday.... i was bummed i couldnt get there this weekend... but sunday will have to do
Hrmmmm I'll have to think about making it down there.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
SilentJ said:
Why not have them over for a little BBQ one night? That is, if you cared to hang out with them at all and put in the effort. You can have beer/wine and they can have whatever they want... :thumb:
Def a possible idea.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
McGRP01 said:
Since it was my first race, I don't have much for comparison. But when they call Plattelkill "the mountain that moves with you", they aren't kidding!

Lots of shale made for some pretty sketchy, loose decents! Started off with a pretty tame decent through the woods on singletrack, where some pedaling was required. That section had lots of little jumps here and there, and ended with a 3' drop to a downed log you had to clear into a hair-pin right turn, that went right into a hair-pin left. That popped us out onto a section of double-track that was pretty steep and all shale, which made it real squirrly. This double-track decent had 3, 2' stepdowns as well. At the botom of that, was a small up hill that popped us out onto a ski trail which zig-zagged a couple times, and then dove back into the woods right down this gnarly ledge section. Down the ledeges and a banked right brough us through some tight trees to a 4' drop out onto anther ski trail. Straight across that ski trail went right back into the woods and onto the mountain cross course. Berms everywhere to rail!! Lots of fun in this section!! Our (sport/beginner) had an "around" the 12' road gap that the pro/experts were nailing and kept cruizing throught berms down to a steep roller than turn left and set you up for a small tabletop that went right into a small double. After the double it was a hard right back into the woods and onto the ladder that you see in my pics. The drop on that ladder was only about 2 foot, but with the speed you're carrying, I landed with my front wheel on the dirt at the bottom of the wooden tranny. After that ladder drop it was straight and into a hard left with a huge wall-ride and into the finish.

It was TONS of fun!!!! :devil:
Sounds awesome... also sounds a bit more modest than I anticipated. Would you say you needed a DH bike to run the course, or could my 575 handle it?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
jacksonpt said:
Sounds awesome... also sounds a bit more modest than I anticipated. Would you say you needed a DH bike to run the course, or could my 575 handle it?
Your 575 could have handled the beginner/sport course. The advantage (IMO) a DH bike had on this course was being able to stay really stable at high speed on the steeps. But as far as the drops and whatnot, the Yeti would have been ok. There were people racing beginner/sport on stinkys and the like, and even a couple hard-tail pride guys.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
loco said:
yeah - I complain a little, but that's just me. I am pretty excited. Julie is not excited about being sick. I think she is working on feeling better though. I have a good friend that I ride with that is having a baby within a couple of weeks of me. That will make it a little cooler.
That's cool....when is she due?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
TreeSaw said:
CONGRATULATIONS to Tigg & Heather on their podium finishes as well :thumb:
Thanks T! Lots of pics from yesterday up in the DH forum on the Elevate board...if you get a sec, check 'em out! :)